Fonts for Personal Books

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 21
Len Browne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 1 2020 10:54 PM

I am not sure if I am asking in the correct forum but here goes.

I am in the process of creating Personal Books. Previous attempts have worked well but now in my latest effort I am getting this error:

... not a valid font for use in resources

and it names a rogue font but it doesn't name any document where that font occurs. Interestingly, two of the rogue fonts are not even installed on my system so I am unsure how they got into the document. A few months ago my laptop died and perhaps they were on it and inserted themselves into an earlier draft.

I chose 5 of the docx files and searched them for rogues, changed each occurrence to the main font for that docx, saved the corrected file and built a test book successfully. Of course this defeats the purpose of using a different font but it proves the point.

Which fonts does Logos like/dislike or are there properties of some fonts that disturb the calm of the book builder? What I need is a list of acceptable fonts or some other resource to allow me to overcome this problem.

Anyone know how to find out?

Len

Posts 12067
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 11:30 PM

Hi Len,

this annoying error message is with for some time now, maybe since Faithlife decided to no longer ship fonts with the Logos program (but didn't write code to properly detect fonts used in the PB and being installed on the system). Since Logos will compile the file nonetheless, it doesn't warrant doing anything about the PB file.

There is no list of "acceptable" fonts for PBs. Logos will probably work with any UNICODE font on your system (and maybe even English text in non-UNICODE fonts) - and it will substitute fonts it can't display.

For PBs, most often the proper font to use is Times New Romans in 12pt, this will be interpreted as "standard" font and Logos will compile the PB to dynamically use the font you selected in the system settings.

Hope this helps a bit.    

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 21
Len Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 11:56 PM

Thanks for that.

I realize that the book complies anyway but having a clean report makes me able to relax a little more. When I see the errors and warnings I go look only to find no real problem. The time I do not go look there will surely be a real problem.

I posted my question and then took to the shower. While in there I came up with the idea of creating a Word document as a font list. I'll add it to my Test Book and see how it compiles. That should be fun.

Len

Posts 21
Len Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2020 1:08 AM

I did that. 50 pages of fonts but I reduced it to 15. Added it to test book and clicked build.

Wow. 497 Errors, 2 Warnings.

Posts 2
Steve Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 11 2020 9:57 PM

Hi Len,

Can you now tell us which fonts do not generate the "not a valid font" message?

Thanks,

Steve

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 12 2020 12:30 PM

Steve Adams:

Hi Len,

Can you now tell us which fonts do not generate the "not a valid font" message?

Thanks,

Steve

ditto!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS