FL: Dynamic pricing has changed on base packages. Why?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 458
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 17 2020 12:05 AM

I have been keeping track for a while of base packages that I want to eventually acquire - their prices and current discount. However, I had noticed before the back to school sale that the discounts were inexplicably much higher than they used to be. For example, Verbum 8 Silver used to be at a 68% discount for me, but now it is supposedly 94%. That would be great if the price had actually changed, but it hadn't. This is the same for all the other packages I track.

I am guessing that FL has changed the way they calculate dynamic pricing, and I guess they are entitled to do so. But I do find it frustrating and wondered if someone could explain why and what changes have been made?

Posts 465
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 12:35 AM

I am showing different discounts on where I look.

On https://verbum.com/for-the-whole-church (Eastern Rite Silver) the discount is my price compared with the regular package price is 63% (103.23/280.00)

On https://verbum.com/product/186680/verbum-8-eastern-rite-silver for example, the discount is showing as my price compared with the "Dynamic collection value" which is the sum of all the books in the package I do not own - 93% (103.23/1516.99)

This may be why you have seen a change.

Posts 3839
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 2:45 AM

The dynamic pricing hasn’t changed at all. The “savings” have (regular collection price vs. collection value).

Don’t get caught up with the percentages. Both percentages are marketing‘s way of making it appear that you are saving a lot, when you may actually be saving nothing at all.

(The premise of a 63% dynamic discount of not paying for what you already own is flawed.)

Kevin:
the discount is showing as my price compared with the "Dynamic collection value" which is the sum of all the books in the package I do not own

In other words, the sum of the value (individual price) of all the books you do not own.

Sure, perhaps someone saves 93% over buying those books individually, but who would do that?

That’s just leveraging the psychology of discounts (where consumers focus on the 93% number) rather than any actual savings.

Since the collection is not on sale, we’re not saving anything off its regular price, but far less people would make a purchase if the savings was listed as 0%.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 458
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 11:16 AM

PetahChristian:
Don’t get caught up with the percentages. Both percentages are marketing‘s way of making it appear that you are saving a lot, when you may actually be saving nothing at all.

I'm fully aware of this. I only looked at the percentage of discount to determine my purchase strategy. As have been demonstrated many times on this forum, purchasing deeper discounted packages before less discounted packages will in the end result in money saved. That is why I am used to referring to the discounts.

Posts 3839
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 11:59 AM

Good reminder, thanks!

Then this change is ideal, since it’s based on the individual cost of the books.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS