Page 15 of 16 (301 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next >
This post has 300 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 5584
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2021 7:00 PM

Graham Criddle:

John W Gillis:
I’m going to suggest that no more than 10% of Logos users are going to do that, or even know that they could.

A long standing request has been for Logos search to be simplified - with some form of query builder, for example. But with the breadth of functionality on Logos I understand how doing that could be a real challenge. But, yes, I wouldn't expect everyone to know how to do this.

I'm still waiting for the existing Search functionality to be accurately documented somewhere within the program. Like in Logos Help and Verbum Help, for instance. That would be handy.

Posts 19402
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2021 7:06 PM

depdad:
Can you tell me how to put multiple commentaries into a personal collection?

MyTag is a collection, which can also be used with custom series => Creating a New Series of Commentaries

Logos Wiki => Collections

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 46
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2021 6:25 AM

Thank you so much. You're a blessing :)

Posts 1
P.J. HICKS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2021 3:33 PM

I would greatly appreciate having my LESSONmaker back! When calling into the call center for help, I was told a year ago that it was going to "come out soon."

I used LESSONmaker almost every week to help lead group discussions groups and as I understand "it is or may be in production" but I was told that a year ago and we are still waiting on it.  LESSONmaker is a great tool!!! I don't fully understand how LESSONmaker will run on the https://app.wordsearchbible.lifeway.com  a "temporary site and will eventually will be taken down." Using the internet method does not work very well on a plane without out having to pay for internet.

I have used LESSONmaker well before WordSearch bought it. I ended up buying WordSearch for the sole reason of keeping up with the operating systems as they rolled out and having my LESSONmaker up-to-date.  

I grew to really liking many features of WordSearch, such as ZScript.  It really made my sermon preparation was MUCH easier than Logos method of pulling scriptures over into a Word or WordPerfect document. I'd really like to see ZScript to come back or something more user friendly than what we currently have. 

Please don't get me wrong, I love my Logos as I have a vast Library that I have invested thousands of dollars in the program since it's infancy!  I am however very disappointed that Logos has not delivered on their promise to take care of this LESSONmaker issue.

Thank you for your serious consideration as many like me who was very fond of WordSearch because it was made for people who like less complicated and user friendly operation. But even at losing Wordsearch, comparing both programs, Logos had many more features that really liked over WordSearch. Smile I hope this is constructive and helpful in understanding how this is important to many who was accustomed to a very good resource.  ~PJH

Posts 33477
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2021 3:57 PM

P.J. HICKS:
I am however very disappointed that Logos has not delivered on their promise to take care of this LESSONmaker issue.

Welcome to the forums. If you check on feedback.faithlife.com you will see that the Lesson Maker (Builder) is a project that is in progress. One would expect it to be a major project, similar in size perhaps to the Sermon editor (w/o the manager). Depending upon the source of the questions, there may also be tagging issues for resources . . . etc. If I recall correctly, Faithlife purchased WordSearch in September. Given their existing workload at that time (preparing for the release of Logos 9) and given the size of their development staff, your expectations that it should be done by now are unrealistic. Sorry that you were told "soon" when any retired IT professional would have scoffed at the idea that it was a short, quick and dirty project. I know this as a retired IT professional who is practicing her scoff.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2473
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2021 4:48 PM

P.J. HICKS:
I would greatly appreciate having my LESSONmaker back! When calling into the call center for help, I was told a year ago that it was going to "come out soon."

Agreed that LessonMaker is a great tool and glad to have it in Logos.

Using this I can cut and paste into Sermon Builder documents.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 5480
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2021 12:33 AM

May I add my welcome to the forums as well P J it will be good to have an additional source of information among the community.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I guess you know but others visiting this thread my not realise, none of the functionality of Wordsearch has been removed from that programme and at this, early stage, of the transition most folks copies of Wordsearch should be working as they did before.

That said P J have you somehow lost the ability to use your original programme in the interim period between Logos taking on the work of creating a 'lesson maker' clone and its completion? While I know nothing of Wordsearch I am sure somebody here can offer some advice about regaining temporary access to the facility.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2021 5:42 AM

P.J. HICKS:

LESSONmaker is a tool I use every week and was thrilled when I saw it in Resources Updated yesterday in Logos. The format is somewhat different, but totally usable. I think you will like it.

So, P.J., check your Library, I think you will be pleased. God bless you and your ministry to His glory.

Posts 7
JASON HINES | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2021 6:10 AM

Logos seems to be more about the software than the books.  WordSearch was more about the books than the software.  I find it frustrating to look up a book and not be able to find it.  WordSearch did have quicker, more efficient access to the books.  If I look up "Ancient" in the Library, I get I & II Corinthinas, I & II Kings, I & II Peter, Abraham, etc. None of those have the word "ancient" in their titles.  Really, the "Ancient Faith Bible Commentary" should be the first thing to come up. I am convinced that the degree of success which Logos will achieve can be measured by how successfully Logos merges these two together.

Posts 2473
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2021 10:33 AM

JASON HINES:
None of those have the word "ancient" in their titles

If you don't want references to "ancient" in product descriptions, try TITLE:ancient

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 7
JASON HINES | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2021 3:00 AM

I guess I have a lot of "getting used to."  I still have a lot to learn.  So, your trick worked.  I typed in TITLE:ancient and sure enough, the Ancient Faith Study Bible came up first.  Any transition can be frustrating.  I will just have to keep at it.

Just to be clear, I am thrilled with Logos and I'm very thankful for so many features.  I would do a commercial!  Still, it is hard to get over the feeling that WordSearch had things to offer that Logos doesn't.  Where I am wrong, I just need to be patient and learn "the Logos way" of doing things.  Where I am right, I do hope that Logos tech will recognize it and create the perfect marriage of WS to Logos.

Thanks again so much for your help.

Posts 74
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2021 3:01 AM

JASON HINES:
Logos seems to be more about the software than the books.

That's a rather sweeping statement.

JASON HINES:
I find it frustrating to look up a book and not be able to find it.  WordSearch did have quicker, more efficient access to the books.  If I look up "Ancient" in the Library, I get I & II Corinthinas, I & II Kings, I & II Peter, Abraham, etc. None of those have the word "ancient" in their titles.  Really, the "Ancient Faith Bible Commentary" should be the first thing to come up. I am convinced that the degree of success which Logos will achieve can be measured by how successfully Logos merges these two together.

By default the library listing will be in alphabetical order of titles, ignoring "a", "an", and "the".  Thus if you know the title of the book you're looking for it's fairly easy to know exactly where it is in the list. If you want to sort in other ways, you can do so by clicking at the top of the column in the listing you want to sort by. 

Posts 7
JASON HINES | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2021 3:19 AM

David Thomas helped me out.  He understood what I was talking about.  I got it straightened out.  I see how the Logos way of doing things works.  I type in TITLE:ancient in the Library search bar and up comes my book.  I understand what you were saying about the order of the books in the Library.  That was not my issue.  My frustration was looking up books by the search bar feature.  Of course I can scroll down and all my books are in alphabetical order.  I knew that.  But I'd rather not scroll down through thousands of books.  Were you with WordSearch before?  I have talked to others who were with WordSearch before for years.  They found my "sweeping statement" to be rather accurate.  Perhaps you were with WS before.  I'm just not sure how qualified you are to have an opinion.

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2021 6:45 AM

Jason, I understand the frustration we WS users have had, and are having learning Logos. When searching your library in WS you only had 1 of 2 choices, either a word in the Title, or the name of the Author. That was pretty straight forward.

In Logos when you typed in 'Ancient' Logos looked not only at the Title, but also searched all the words in the initial description. You can actually search on any of those filters in the top bar, i.e., My Tags, Publisher, Subject, Series, Type, etc..

When I searched on the word 'ancient' I got 747 hits, but when I limited to title:ancient I got 19. Being able to drill down on your Library allows you to build some really great Collections.

God bless you in your ministry to His glory.

--BroJames

Posts 19402
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2021 3:01 PM

James H. Schafer:
... are having learning Logos.

Thankful for many friendly Faithlife forum discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn.

James H. Schafer:
In Logos when you typed in 'Ancient' Logos looked not only at the Title, but also searched all the words in the initial description. You can actually search on any of those filters in the top bar, i.e., My Tags, Publisher, Subject, Series, Type, etc..

Filtering library for ancient searches many fields: description, Author, Publisher, Series, Subject, Title, ...

Screen shot shows six Library filters for ancient. Filter Author:(ancient,Fee) looks for one of two words in the author field: ancient OR Fee

Also Basic search can find Ancient articles/chapters => ([field heading,largetext] ancient) as well as Headword => {Headword ancient}

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1
E Clark Beiler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2021 9:48 AM

That works great. Thank you!

Posts 7
JASON HINES | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2021 4:57 PM

Bro. James, Just wanted to thank you again for your kind and helpful words.

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 24 2021 6:23 PM

Jason, you are so welcome. We former WS users have to stick together. God bless you, my friend!!

--BroJames

Posts 1
James Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2021 4:25 PM

I agree, because it is frustrating to chat with someone and they sent you instructions on how to software to your email, and you still have no ideas what they are talking about. It's all Greek to you, and you are stuck back on square one. I enjoyed Preacher Outline and Commentaries- add that back in or better yet. Merge that into our subscription. Thanks.

Posts 46
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2021 6:44 PM

To James Goodman: Are you talking about the POSB (Preacher's Outline and Sermon Bible)? That has been merged into Logos from WORDsearch.

Page 15 of 16 (301 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > | RSS