Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 3
Tim | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 20 2020 6:22 AM

Friends - I just "converted over" to Logos.  I went through Quickverse 1 - 10; Wordsearch 10 - 12; and now Logos 8.  I have invested quite a large sum, and there seems to be a loss of resources during each change.

I understand copyrights, licensing, etc, however, am I to understand with Wordsearch 12 Deluxe, will I only get Logos Basic - or will Logos be updated to match my former level of Wordsearch at a later date?

I am not new to change, just new to Logos... (and ok, a little lazy wanting some answers without reading through a lot of documents, wink)

If you could reply or just direct me to the proper documents, that would be helpful.

Here we grow again! 

Posts 63
The Flanary's | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 7:14 AM

I was searching for this very info. for this very reason. And the short answer appears to be "yes". We retained our libraries (eventually, although they may be monographs for some time) but the better upgraded features of Logos appear to be locked. (For example: Canvas requires at least Bronze, which has a rather rich price tag, imo)
But, on the positive, WS12 is supposed to remain active offline for probably the life of its system specs. So the move to Logos is being termed as "complimentary".....

Stop talking about missing the "Old Saints" and be an Old Saint

Posts 682
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 7:42 AM

The Flanary's:

(For example: Canvas requires at least Bronze, which has a rather rich price tag, imo)

Good morning!

As a long time Logos user, I find the full feature upgrade to be well worth the cost of admission. If that cost is a bit much right now, I wanted you to know that you can gain access to these features (not own – just rent) through a Faithlife Connect monthly subscription. Many Logos users go this route and it would serve as a way for you to try them out to see if owning them is worthwhile. Just food for thought . . .

And welcome to the world of Faithlife/Logos!

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 2262
LogosEmployee

In Logos, your package "level" actually has little meaning in the long term. In the "now", you purchase a package in order to get access to specific collection of books, datasets, and features. After your purchase, all of those items of handled individually, and which package they came from has no significance.

Instead, Faithlife makes it so that you don't pay twice for something you already own. We use dynamic pricing to lower the price of packages you purchase so that the price does not include the portion of the price contributed by books, datasets, and features you already own.

If you bought a "Silver" package now, there's nothing that obligates you to purchase a "Silver" package down the line when a major update occurs. You could choose to buy a larger or smaller package according to which packages contain the specific collection of books, datasets, and features that you are interested in.

In addition, Faithlife splits the Logos packages into library packages and feature packages. The former provide access to only books, and the latter provide access to datasets and features (sometimes along with access to a couple of books that a very strongly coupled with the datasets or features). This allows you to focus your purchasing on either books or features purely on the basis of which collections give you access to the things that you want. No need to worry about sticking with specific levels of anything.

Check here for a comparison of different packages: https://www.logos.com/compare-packages

Note the tabs near the top to switch between comparing Book packages and Feature packages.

From that chart, you can see that Canvas (for example) is currently sold as part of the Bronze or Full Feature package. Keep in mind, that buying a package gives you ownership of all the things in the package, and that ownership will reduce the price of similar packages in the future.

Posts 4087
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 9:35 AM

Its a common thought process for people new to Logos, and I understand how that feels. I was there too once upon a time.

They should have called it something different than L8 Basic for those of you who only had Wordsearch prior to the merge. L8 Wordsearch Crossgrade would have been a better title. Because that is functionally what it is. I've had a foot in both worlds, though more Logos than Wordsearch.

Also, what was said prior to this is all true.

I had L6 collectors, but for L8 I only bought Platinum.

But it was more about new books than anything.

Base packages are a great way to expand the titles in your library. Over the course of the last however many years its been, I've averaged about 1$/book by shopping sales, and base packages.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 3
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 10:28 AM

I appreciate all the interaction!

It looks like, as I can best conclude , that the Flanary's response holds the most weight (although I hope for them to be wrong...hehe)

Is it true - the changeover from Wordsearch Deluxe will only get me Logos Basic?  Not even Logos Starter?  I understand version numbers really mean little other than development, but I was hoping for more of an equal feature crossover.

Posts 4087
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 10:38 AM

Tim:

I appreciate all the interaction!

It looks like, as I can best conclude , that the Flanary's response holds the most weight (although I hope for them to be wrong...hehe)

Is it true - the changeover from Wordsearch Deluxe will only get me Logos Basic?  Not even Logos Starter?  I understand version numbers really mean little other than development, but I was hoping for more of an equal feature crossover.

I suspect where features are duplicated, you'll have those in Logos still. Where Logos doesn't have a feature, you're out of luck at the moment, and likely features of Logos that Wordsearch didn't have you'll need to make a purchase to get them.

I could be mistaken, but thats my current read on the situation.

Posts 9289
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 10:48 AM

Tim:
Is it true - the changeover from Wordsearch Deluxe will only get me Logos Basic?

You will get Logos Basic plus all of the books you had in Wordsearch, so you are hardly staring at the Basic level. As Andrew pointed out above, package names mean little in Logos. For you, being at Basic only refers to how many Logos features and datasets you now own, not how many resources you own. It really is a pretty meaningless name, handy for marketing but not for measuring what you really have in your library.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 1:13 PM

Tim:
the changeover from Wordsearch Deluxe will only get me Logos Basic?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Wordsearch Deluxe". Since they eliminated the functionally-limited free versions a while back (i.e. Wordsearch Basic, or Bible Explorer before that), there has only been one level of Wordsearch. It cost about $40. You could spend a lot more than that on packages, but the price difference was all about the books that were or were not included. Whatever you have for books in WS either have been or soon will be made available to you in Logos at no cost, and the Logos app is free - both desktop and mobile. 

It's true that Faithlife sells enhanced functionality in premium add-ons for the application, as well as selling all kinds of books, courses, etc. It's also true that Wordsearch did some things that Logos doesn't, so Faithlife seems to be looking hard at what new functionality to try to incorporate into future Logos versions, but frankly there's not that much - Logos mostly needs to improve the way it handles user-created data. But that has nothing to do with the various Feature Set differences between Full, Bronze, Starter, etc. Those differences seem to me to be pure Logos differences.

It's hard for me to tell, since I don't use Logos Basic, but the only Logos premium feature I can think of that is comparable to a Wordsearch feature is the Personal Book Builder functionality, which as far as I know still requires purchasing a package to get. Wordsearch allowed users to create User Books within the program, at least since the QuickVerse merger. User Books and PBB is not exactly apples-to-apples, but I do think it is a legitimate functionality loss moving to Logos if you don't get the PBB capability.

I could be wrong, of course - maybe there's more. Are you aware of any other Wordsearch-type functionality that is missing in the basic Logos configuration, but present in premium versions? I'd be interested to know.

Posts 4035
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 2:09 PM

WS owners are (for free) getting essentially equivalent (or better) functionality in the Logos ecosystem, not "Logos 8 Basic" as such.

Wordsearch didn't have an equivalent to Canvas, so Wordsearch users aren't getting Canvas (for free).

Posts 4035
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 2:17 PM

SineNomine:
WS owners are (for free) getting essentially equivalent (or better) functionality in the Logos ecosystem, not "Logos 8 Basic" as such.

Here's the comparison chart: https://files.logoscdn.com/v1/files/45561287/content.pdf?signature=B7M_mhfLktiAHHtsu8A5fek3BDg

Posts 4102
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 2:20 PM

SineNomine:

SineNomine:

Here's the comparison chart: https://files.logoscdn.com/v1/files/45561287/content.pdf?signature=B7M_mhfLktiAHHtsu8A5fek3BDg

I’m sorry if I missed this somewhere but I was a WS12 user as well as logos. Will the WS features be migrating to logos too? I’m assuming it follows the same timeline for the books? By 2021?

Posts 9289
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 4:13 PM

Mattillo:
Will the WS features be migrating to logos too?

Logos has not announced any plans to do this, so no timeline, but they are seeking input on which features that are not in Logos are most valued by WS users. That thread is here. It seems from this that they would like to add at least some features from WS.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 4:18 AM

Friends - I understand the difference between resources and features.  I understand also, the tendencies to take the stance "my software is better than your software"... that being said, I truly appreciate this dialog!

I have used your input and with some additional research, I decided to go with the feature entry level of Logos Starter.  I suspect this will give me a good overview.

Soooo... I have been "grafted into" the Logos family.

Thanks again! 

Posts 11206
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 5:49 AM

Tim:
Friends - I understand the difference between resources and features.  I understand also, the tendencies to take the stance "my software is better than your software"... that being said, I truly appreciate this dialog!

Appreciate that smile on your face, even though your question didn't appear to get answered ... eg features you purchased in WS >> Logos equivalent features?? Basic??

The Logos forum is a bit of humanity and all its foibles. But I'm impressed the WS'ers are proceeding apace ... I'd of had a heart-attack by now!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 6656
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 10:57 AM

Tim:
Soooo... I have been "grafted into" the Logos family.

Welcome to the family. May the new tree bring forth much fruit. Big Smile

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 4035
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 4:23 PM

Denise:

Tim:

Appreciate that smile on your face, even though your question didn't appear to get answered ... eg features you purchased in WS >> Logos equivalent features?? Basic??

In brief, and to be clear, with a couple exceptions (things that don't exist in Logos), he gets for free all of the features in Logos that he had in Wordsearch. He also gets a few extra features that weren't in Wordsearch. The collection of features he gets is NOT Logos Basic, but it does include everything in Logos Basic.

Posts 4087
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 6:14 PM

SineNomine:

Denise:

Tim:

In brief, and to be clear, with a couple exceptions (things that don't exist in Logos), he gets for free all of the features in Logos that he had in Wordsearch. He also gets a few extra features that weren't in Wordsearch. The collection of features he gets is NOT Logos Basic, but it does include everything in Logos Basic.

Logos is famous for brushing right up against almost having good communication. If they had called what they are giving out "Wordsearch crossgrade", I think there wouldn't be any confusion.

Posts 11206
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 7:00 PM

SineNomine:

Denise:

Tim:

All well and good, but you still didn't deal with the specifics he asked about. You might answer him, not me.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 23
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 8:26 PM

I am going to miss the sermon/illustration organizer.  That was an extremely valuable resource to me in WordsearchBible!

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS