Getting into church history....have a question on resource

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10
Daniel Hughes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 26 2020 9:36 PM

I am looking for a logos reference. Maybe something like a bible dictionary that includes church history. 
For example learning about Nicaean creed, Crystosom, Luter, Aquinas, etc. 

I know it can't go deep but I need to start somewhere and have a good reliable high level or mid level take on church history and even some of its doctrines. 

Thanks in advance.

Posts 2565
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2020 3:08 AM

I found this resource a good starting point for me:

Church History
in

Plain Language

Bruce L. Shelley, Church History in Plain Language (Updated 2nd ed.; Dallas, TX: Word Pub., 1995).

https://www.logos.com/product/2248/church-history-in-plain-language

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2020 4:51 AM

Consider adding one, or both, of these to your library. The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, rev. ed. and The Encyclopedia of Christianity, Vols. 1-5

Don’t forget to look at the “This title is included in the following collections” section of each product page as it may be cheaper to obtain them in a package rather than individually.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 1873
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2020 5:34 AM

I would like to second the recommendation of the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church - which I respect enough to have pinned as a shortcut in Logos, and would also mention that the Thiselton Companion that I picked up as part of Lutheran Bronze is pretty good too.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2020 9:43 AM

This is my 'go to' resource.

Posts 8497
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2020 5:34 PM

Two great resources to get you started:

1. https://www.logos.com/product/26729/church-history-volume-1-from-christ-to-pre-reformation

2. https://www.logos.com/product/52619/church-history-volume-two-from-pre-reformation-to-the-present-day 

There are video versions in Logos too, but they are too pricey.

DAL

Posts 51
Michael Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2020 3:53 AM

All great resources. Add the IVP Pocket dictionaries and 131 Christians Everyone Should Know. I use this alongside my devotional resources reading one entry a day. 

Posts 10
Daniel Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 1:04 AM

Thankz

Posts 10
Daniel Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 1:05 AM

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS