BUG: Why does this system built search fail to find any results?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33738
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 27 2020 4:49 PM

I select a subject tag

Open context menu

Select Andersen-Forbes Clause Intermediate Constituent

Select Search Everything on the right

Get some garbage Factbook results but no results - no even the one I started with

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25328
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2020 10:42 PM
MJ. Smith:
no even the one I started with
I've just looked at the AF resource and it has no search fields - searching for anything (including standard English text) in the resource returns no results. I don't think I've seen that before!
Posts 33738
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2020 12:59 AM

Interesting ... that gives me a couple of ideas to pursue as this is the one AF search documented in the wiki

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19429
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2020 2:19 AM

MJ. Smith:
Select Andersen-Forbes Clause Intermediate Constituent

Syntax Search of Andersen-Forbes Phrase Marker Analysis finds <AndersenForbesPhraseMarkerAnalysis = sbj: gram>

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 33738
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2020 2:25 AM

Fascinating as the results that are shown in the BWS are clause level ...

Posts 27224
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 4 2020 12:50 PM

MJ. Smith:

I select a subject tag

Open context menu

The AFPMA is intended for a Syntax Search, as with all other Clause Visualization type resources. The Context menu should have a Look up for the AF Glossary (as with Cascadia or OpenText).  The Search is inconsistent, though. Also, you would normally see a Glossary definition on hover, but not with AF.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1427
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2020 2:38 PM

Hi MJ.

The syntax graph resources are not indexed at all. Syntax search works off of a completely different database (only searchable using the syntax search) that models the data to which the graph resources simply give a view.

So if your query is regarding not finding results in the graph resource, that's why. I believe the search of (basically) "everything else" is to facilitate searching other resources for the thing currently under selection.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 33738
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2020 3:06 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
So if your query is regarding not finding results in the graph resource, that's why. I believe the search of (basically) "everything else" is to facilitate searching other resources for the thing currently under selection.

My query was more pointed. The system built the query which I chose to run again everything. No where in the system did it find a match. What resource is needed to find a match? or, if as I suspect, there is none why build a search that does nothing? It leads the user to misunderstand how the Search function works.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS