An example of blatant overpricing

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 6
Jeff Rodrigues | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 29 2020 9:53 PM

I've been using Logos Bible Software since the late 1990s, and I've been very appreciative of their available products.  However, I've recently noticed something very disturbing to me that is an obvious example of blatant overpricing.

Recently I noticed an available video product on logos.com called "How to Read the Bible for All its Worth Video Lectures," based on the book with a very similar title.  What stood out to me was the listed price of the resource:  $149.99.  The interesting thing is that this very same resource is available in DVD format for nearly $30 at multiple outlets (not just Amazon).  Even the DVD publisher's own web site, zondervan.com, lists the DVD for $29.99.

When I initially saw this, I left a comment in the reviews section about this product being over $100 cheaper in DVD format elsewhere, and the comment was apparently removed by Faithlife because it was no longer there.  I later posted the same comment again, and again the comment was removed by someone else.  This happened multiple times.

This raises a couple of questions...

1.  Why is Faithlife choosing to overcharge this resource by over $100 compared to the DVD version?

2.  Why can't Faithlife take reasonable criticism for this?

I've seen certain resources cost a little more within Logos compared to other formats, and I get that.  But over $100 more?  When I see this happen, it begins to make me question the business practices of Faithlife and whether I want to continue to purchase their resources.

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 29 2020 10:19 PM

Jeff, 
it not all FL fault, they have hands tied,

Zondervan will have told them we want $??.?? for each one sold in the licencing agreement, now if Zondervan choose to drop retail price elsewhere fine they can, BUT you cant expect FL to sell it now for less $$ than Zondervan will ask for, and will, as contract legally binding

its one of flaws of licencing content

finally your deleted comment isn't... you didn't post here in forums , but on https://faithlife.com/  post still present there

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2685
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 29 2020 11:16 PM

You might also consider that you can access the video practically anywhere indefinitely at your convenience. If you don't have a DVD drive, you are still good. Lose the DVD, Zondervan will not replace it. All of your Logos resources are backed up for you. 

Zondervan stuff goes on sale regularly on Logos too. Patience is virtue.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 164
Dave Colclough | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 4:11 AM

Confusingly Zonderman also prices the 'How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth' video course, although it includes guided readings through Biblemesh, at $119.99 (only for 12 month online access though, so not even ownership!). It might be helpful to ask a Logos Sales Rep if the Logos version includes anything else that adds value, such as transcripts, reading guides etc.

Posts 1401
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 6:52 AM

In fairness to FL, they could hardly adapt these lectures for the Logos ecosystem at $20 per licenses. That's just not a viable pricing model, in my opinion. Plus, there's the value of having these in Logos vs on a DVD somewhere. With Logos, you'd have access to these videos anywhere, anytime, via desktop, web, mobile. There's a lot of value in that, value that makes them worth more than the DVD product.

That being said, FL has always priced their courseware products way too high! Way too high! For example, these Zondervan videos, to answer the question of another user in this thread, have NO lectures and NO related materials. It's just the videos, so $149 is way, way too expensive for videos that aren't even new to the market. Perhaps its a Zondervan licensing issue, as someone else here suggested. Maybe. But if Logos can't negotiate more competitive pricing, then maybe they should just stay out of the Zondervan courses market, rather than offer products at this high of a price point. To me, it damages the Logos and Faithlife brands when a consumer sees these products for sale on their website at such high prices.

Then there's the mobile ed products. Crazy expensive! And the videos come with little to no graphics. No slides. No outlines. No maps. Just a lecturer on one side and a few bullet points on the other. Granted, there are transcripts that are tagged. But at this high of a price point, there should be high-quality, editable graphics that are both included in the videos and available for download outside of the videos.

Recently Logos offered mobile ed courses at $99 each. I'm sure they did well in this special sale, and raised a ton of cash or receivables. Why? Because that's the price they should have been selling these videos at all along. A price point under $100, IMHO, is a fair and reasonable price to pay for video lectures.

I'm a huge fan of Logos and their product offerings. However, this has been an area of frustration for me for a long time. I wish Logos would quit trying to explain / justify the exorbitant pricing, and just come to market with a better pricing model for this type of product.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 119
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 7:19 AM

Myke Harbuck:

Then there's the mobile ed products. Crazy expensive! And the videos come with little to no graphics. No slides. No outlines. No maps. Just a lecturer on one side and a few bullet points on the other. Granted, there are transcripts that are tagged. But at this high of a price point, there should be high-quality, editable graphics that are both included in the videos and available for download outside of the videos.

Recently Logos offered mobile ed courses at $99 each. I'm sure they did well in this special sale, and raised a ton of cash or receivables. Why? Because that's the price they should have been selling these videos at all along. A price point under $100, IMHO, is a fair and reasonable price to pay for video lectures.

I'm a huge fan of Logos and their product offerings. However, this has been an area of frustration for me for a long time. I wish Logos would quit trying to explain / justify the exorbitant pricing, and just come to market with a better pricing model for this type of product.

Yeah, Myke, the mobile ed products prices are too high a Matterhorn, even during the pre- 40 % off stage.

I only read the transcripts + readings.  I never look at the vids, and so wish the transcripts + readings were sold as a separate package.  

Enough people buy these pricey items that FL feels no need to price them reasonably.  So, my wallet winks + does the Petula Clarke: it walks on by.

Posts 119
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 7:26 AM

scooter:
So, my wallet winks + does the Petula Clarke: it walks on by.

Sorry, its Ms. Dionne Warwick.

Posts 2270
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 7:45 AM

Jeff Rodrigues:
the comment was apparently removed by Faithlife because it was no longer there.  I later posted the same comment again, and again the comment was removed by someone else.  This happened multiple times.

Jeff, welcome to the Forums! According to your post count, it looks like you are relatively new to our interaction. In case you are unaware, Faithlife has posted some guidelines that they ask of us in using THEIR forum - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/10072.aspx 

I've highlighted the relevant section as to why some posts get moderated:

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 4831
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 3:08 PM

Sometimes things like this are pricing errors. Other times they're prices dictated by the publisher.

People who want to pay $150 for these will. Those who don't, won't.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 119
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 10:53 AM

SineNomine:

My fellow Canadian, its always east to go logical / indifferent when the issue is not yours, now isn't it?  That's a cold comment you made.

Posts 4131
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 11:18 AM

Zondervan VERY rarely allows sales on their items. they seem to price things with an iron fist.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 4831
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 3:39 PM

scooter:

SineNomine:

My fellow Canadian, its always east to go logical / indifferent when the issue is not yours, now isn't it?  That's a cold comment you made.

I accept your fraternal correction.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 119
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 4 2020 6:01 AM

SineNomine:

scooter:

SineNomine:

I accept your fraternal correction.

God bless, SineNomine.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS