Self Learn Logos vs MP Training - please share your experience and thoughts

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 551
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 12:21 AM

BillS:
My counsel? What do you need Logos for? If you need it for more than you can currently use & either don't have the time or don't feel comfortable playing with it to discover what you need, by all means get training... It all starts with what you need it for.

This is great advice! For my part...

I’ve been using logos since 2011 and seen a lot of changes to the software in that time... All for the better I would say. My personally circumstances are that I don't have a lot of spare income or spare time, as a result I don't have the luxury of investing in a training sub, a two day intensive, etc. and so self-taught is the only option for me. But like Bill I'm a confident self-learner and in FL credit L7 and L8 both worked to make the software more accessible (Bible Browser and Concordance interactive both come to mind). 

That said, there are some distinct shortcomings to self-taught route.

1. I know I don't use the software to its fullest. I hear what Bill's says and it is great advice, for me, with a library of over 3,000 titles I find it erksome that I don't use those resources to the full. It feels like using a top of the range sports car just to take the kids to school and back. I always get the sense it was made for more and if I could just... Then I'd be away. For example, Collections is certainly not used to its fullest neither search. 

2. I find learning the search language worse than trying to learn Greek. I get that it is logically etc, however, my non-logical dyslexic brain really rails against it. 9 years in and I still haven't mastered it. Training is probably what I need to crack the nut. 

Finally I think that new users are surprised that Logos requires training to use. For anyone who has invested in a premium software (eg. Photoshop) this is par for the course. However I think the notion for busy pastors who have paid $300 for a base package plus $X00 for the  full feature set only to realise after the 30days is up that they now need to spend another $x0 per month on training may be perceived as a bit of a joke (read: British understatement). That's probably a job for marketing and CS though... 

Conclusion, you can teach yourself Logos, and if like BillS you have a tightly bounded set of desires you want to fulfill with Logos you should be OK. However, you should know that beyond that self-learning is a double-edged sword.

Dunno if anyone that helps.

Carpe verbum.

Posts 64
Benny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 9:09 AM

Thanks a lot Bill and Liam for your experience sharing and insights!  Based on all the responses so far, i got that 1)  MP Seminars and LearnLogo are great and helpful  2) it really depends on each one's situation on whether take the extra training or self-taught.  But to get the most out of Logos, there is a deep learning curve (depends on the person's background of course), and require a lot of time to figure that out or go through all the help blog or training video and try to pull all those together for each person's own needs. 3) features in Logos that we use by self-taught may be limited to what we want to do, but there might be other great features in Logos that we are not even aware that may enhance what we want to do, and do it better and faster etc.

For my case, my restraints are that 1) I am really struggling to find time to self-taught.   i know if there is enough time i may be able to learn what i want to do. 2) what i want to do is very limited to what i know on utilizing tools etc. to do in-depth study of the Scripture.  I have basic skills in this but my knowledge is very limited and would really want someone to tell me what features in Logos can help in the process.  As sometimes i see a feature, i know it is useful and great, and i can use that feature, but i do want to know the best way to use the feature  in the Scripture study workflow.  

Again, Thanks so much for everyone's response and input so far!

Posts 98
Gary George | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 10:13 AM

One of the great ways to learn is at the basics.  Study a scripture in context.  I recently did an encouragement through Romans and 2 Corinthians where I looked at each paragraph thought and then look at original words in that context (if needed), use a dictionary.  Since the beginning, I have had few resources and few features of Logos and it is sufficient.

These resources are all I really use:

TWOT 

TDNTA

The Pulpit Commentary is a great resource since it includes a wide range in information for each scripture.

Unless you are studying a specific book in its entirety, would not recommend too many commentaries.  Commentaries are generally scripture already chewed by someone else.  Instead, use dictionaries to find original meanings and commentaries later.

Grace and peace.

Posts 88
Thomas Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 4:08 PM

Benny I have been using Logos since 1966.  I depend on the Logos training within Logos and Morris Proctor's training.  

Programs such as Tools or Guides and Sermon Editor are consistently improved (updated) one needs to be on top of the changes. 

It also really helps if you a good pastor friend who also uses the same Bible computer program and level. It really helps to get together with another pastor and talk about books and using Logos.  I believe Logos is the very best program and have enjoyed the upgraded and consistent updates.

I have to confess I do not like to pay for Logos and then need pay to learn Logos.  The advantage of the Morris Proctor training is built

on a step by step learning level and very easy to understand.  Plus you can email Morris any questions.  

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 5:12 PM

Thomas Myers:
Benny I have been using Logos since 1966. 

Wow! That is far before my time. Wink

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 33269
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 8:20 PM

Thomas Myers:
I have been using Logos since 1966.

Perhaps a bit of a typo . . . are you sure Bob was even born then? The company started in 1992, released Libronix in 2001 . . .

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 316
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 12:17 PM

MJ. Smith:
Perhaps a bit of a typo . . . are you sure Bob was even born then? The company started in 1992, released Libronix in 2001 . . .

Yes but I think The Logos predates that Smile

Posts 64
Benny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 4:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your continuous input and sharing!   Big Smile

Posts 33269
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 4:18 PM

MWW:
The Logos predates that Smile

predates dates for sure

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 279
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 6:14 PM

I have been a Logos user for 12 years - starting with Logos 3.  I tried a number of training options, but far and away the most beneficial was attending a Camp Logos two day seminar.  Now MP Seminars is offering the videos to watch on your own time. For many of us "time"  is the problem. The advantage of Camp Logos is that you clear your calendar and you concentrate on learning the software for two consecutive days. Those two days were game changers for me. don't know if I would have ever watched that many videos and followed through the way I did with the in person.

Posts 51
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2020 4:22 PM

Hi,

Have never used the Camp Logos stuff.

Have used the free Academic and other free tutorials provided in Logos, and find these are good for most things.

Posts 33269
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2020 7:14 PM

So far, no one has mentioned  the excellent training provided by Devin Roza and Andrew Dalton

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2020 3:13 PM

MJ. Smith:
Verbum Advanced Search Training by Devin Roza; Andrew Dalton

I got that and I found it excellent. 

I was the guy who when he bought MS Word in the early 90's took the two inch thick manual with him to a week away work training session to read rather than sit rotting my brain in front of the TV in my hotel room. Excellent read! 

Posts 3745
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2020 11:31 AM

Thomas Myers:
Benny I have been using Logos since 1966. 

Only since version 1.6 in 1994, here, which I bought with an original languages pack for seminary...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2020 11:49 AM

I've mostly been self taught, and learned quite a bit from the forums. 

However, there was a lot of things that were useful from the recent free training for former wordsearch customers. Enough so, that i've considered paying MP for some training, despite having used Logos since the 90s. 

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 5552
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2020 7:41 PM

MJ. Smith:

So far, no one has mentioned  the excellent training provided by Devin Roza and Andrew Dalton

I second all of these recommendations. I'm hoping there'll be updated training videos by them in Verbum 9 base packages.

Posts 9
RoseTheSeeker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2020 8:57 PM

I don't know what my chances are. I use all types of software and have been migrated over from WORDsearch. However I have fallen at the very first hurdle I started the very first lesson, LT122, but had to leave it for a few days. I want to go back to the beginning and start again. I see I have done 9% of the course and my only choice is to click the CONTINUE button. I have tried clicking on all sorts of places, but only end up at the card for the lesson itself. I can't see anywhere to reset it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2020 10:34 PM

RoseTheSeeker:
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums Rose.  

What I would suggest is on the main menu click on Tools and in the search box type "Courses"

The Courses tool will display under the heading Reference. Click on it to open up the courses Tool

On the right hand side of the course tool you should see the heading started and under that you should see a card for the LT122 course.

On the top right hand side of the card in a pale blue circle is a downward pointing arrow. Click on that to open the menu where you have the option to delete the plan.  This will not remove the course from your software it only removes the started copy of the plan from your system.

Now in the Find box at the top left hand side of the course tool type in LT122. You should see the plan under the heading available.

Click on the plan to open it up and start it over again.

As you are working through the course if you have any questions about it or anything else about the software please ask on these forums. There a lots of people who have been through the journey you are starting upon are willing to assist.

Posts 9
RoseTheSeeker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 1:58 PM

Thank you very much Disciple II. Your answer is brilliant and easy to follow. Now I have also learned something about 'Tools'.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS