Logos 9 discounts?

Page 6 of 7 (130 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
This post has 129 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1030
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:35 PM

Naveen Daniel:

Following Dale's strategy requires scanning prices to identify the most discounted package. One way to make it easy on the eyes for comparing is to put all of the packages in your Wishlist. I found that adding packages to your Wishlist is not easy. This is what I did. In the search bar, type "Logos 9 starter" and from the list that comes up, add all the starter packages (including Verbum). Then type in "Logos 9 bronze" and from the list that comes up, add all the bronze packages (including Verbum). Go all the way up to Portfolio. This ensures that the Starters are all next to each other and the Bronzes are all next to each other in your wishlist. Since the biggest discount typically is seen for the lowest level of packages, grouping Starters together and grouping Bronzes together etc. in your Wishlist makes it easy to compare and implement Dale's strategy. 

My sales rep also told me that buying in increments doesn't make a difference. It has made a difference to me. They may not be knowledgeable. 

Verbum is only one of the 3 Catholic packages. To get the best price, you need to also price all 3 Catholic packages, and it's not called Verbum when comparing the 3. They also have their own Feature Set. They don't make it easy.Ick!

Posts 1030
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:44 PM

Bryce Hufford:

Bryce Hufford:

I’m a connect subscriber and would like to get the platinum library.  My price with connect discount is around $600.  I just did a chat with sales to ask what the cheapest upgrade path was: a) upgrade directly to platinum for $600 or b) do multiple upgrades like starter, bronze, silver, gold, then platinum.  

So I answered my own question.  I ended up saving $25 by upgrading step-wise starting with starter up through platinum.  

My price to go directly to platinum was $618.  In round 1 I purchased starter and my new price total price to go to platinum was $609.  In round 2 I purchased bronze and my new total price to go to platinum was $602. In round 3 I purchased silver and my new total to go to platinum was $593.  In round 4 I purchased gold and my new total to go to platinum actually went up a dollar to $594.  

Sometimes you can buy it even cheaper by purchasing a non platinum library (Lutheran Bronze as a wild example) if the pricing works out just right. But that really makes your head hurt.Ick!

Posts 57
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:05 PM

Hi Dale: I am not sure I understood you correctly, but I interpreted your comment to mean that we can't get Verbum in the Wishlist. See below the screen shot of Verbum and all other starter packages in my Wishlist. 

Posts 1030
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:13 PM

Naveen Daniel:

My sales rep also told me that buying in increments doesn't make a difference.

You can see Canada from Bellingham, which proves that the world is flat.Surprise

Posts 57
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:31 PM

Hi Dale,

I don't fully understand the issue with Verbum you're mentioning. I was able to put all the packages, including Verbum, in my Wish list. See below.

Posts 57
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:32 PM

Hi Dale,

I don't fully understand the issue with Verbum you're mentioning. I was able to put all the packages, including Verbum, in my Wish list. See below.

Posts 57
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:35 PM

Hi Dale,

6864.Screenshot for Dale.docx

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:18 AM

Tony Walker:
But on the other hand, in my situation, what some people call a few bucks could be a lot of bucks to me.

I feel that too.

The way I try to process it is like everything else you bought in life is almost always not in its cheapest price. The unusual thing about Logos is that basically there is no 3rd party resellers (unlike in the old days. christianbooks.com for Logos, anyone?) Even in the case of say Apple, there is Black Friday deal like Target or Amazon to have deals cheaper than would have been from Apple alone.

From the perspective in selling a product, it is very rare that a product is sold at the same price everywhere. They want to have the prices varies. One prominent example is air ticket. The one sitting next with the same kind of seat, having same kind of services with you bought them very a very different price. They want people who's able to pay more to pay more. And the more time you spent to find a deal, the cheaper it is (like getting a "special" agent or rare corner of the internet.) This makes sense, for example if you keep the total revenue constant, the cheapest price is cheaper than it would have been if everyone paid equally, meaning you reach customers who would otherwise won't be one. Or if you don't keep the total revenue constant, you probably get more. Which is "win-win".

But in the case of Logos basically everyone sees the same deal (academic is an exception.) So it is harder for them to make something cheaper only for those like us who are very budget limited/conscious.

In this case, the "cheapest economy ticket" can be bought for people that spend the time in the forum to ask around and willing to spend 6 hours to buy something someone else would finish in a second.

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:25 AM

mike:
Only call sales for returns. 

An email is simplest and enough: https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008545351-Return-Policy

If you want to do it quicker, online chat is good too, and easier than calling.

I have met some very good and some kind of bad sales people in Logos 8 launch. One helped me to "save more by actually buy more", another kind of implied that I was wasting his time (near 12am, and I was buying something just a few dollars I think, after I placed an order earlier which was very expensive and has 2 packages.)

Posts 5524
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 1:30 AM

Kolen Cheung:
The unusual thing about Logos is that basically there is no 3rd party resellers

It's not unusally today for bible software. Users wanted to get there software via download rather than having to go to the shop and purchase a disc or wait for them to be sent in the mail. Not living in the US I remember having to wait up to four weeks for a CD-ROM to arrive with the files for the lastest pre-pub book or the latest major software release. With everything now avaiable by download there is no need for a third party reseller.

As someone who's day to day work is in pricing though i do totally understand what you are saying about pricing. Your agrument about willingness/ability to pay is correct. If you work off one flat price a company is risking leaving money on the table where a customer is willing / able to pay that little bit more and equally they are loosing money where they are unwilling to move the price down a little to meet a different customer who has different circumstances to the customer who can pay the standard price and the customer who can pay the premium price and some added value in other ways such as additional after sales service and support that a standard customer does not receive.

But I don't know the in's and outs of FL's business to say they have the wrong pricing model for their business but I do understand how you feel their pricing model does not qute meet your needs.

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 2:11 AM

DIsciple II:
...but I do understand how you feel their pricing model does not qute meet your needs.

Personally the most uneasy thing about buy stuffs in Logos is you really need to know its pricing strategy very well to get the best deal, and if not you could have lost potentially a significant faction of money.

Buying stuffs in Logos to me is a bit more like buying stock (I don't buy stock) but I know its not as risky. You need to know the right timing, you need to study the company, you need to talk to the "insiders", etc.

Well if I'm to buy an iPhone, at worst I might be missing a $100 deal offered by some obscure carrier. Or if I buy a Macbook I certainly know that buying it during Black Friday, perhaps an old model, via B&H would be close to cheapest deal, and you would be paying that much more than the cheapest possible price. But in Logos if you're not careful, you can buy a package at $600 which could have only cost you $100 if you spent more wisely. i.e. more like a total loss (vs paying $600 and somewhere offered $100 less.)

But, it is a love-hate relationship. Also because of these bundling strategies I'm able to afford books I could have never afford otherwise.

Anyway, I think the frustration throughout this thread is not really about the pricing model or when you'd get a deal, but is about even when you see the deal right in front of your eye, there exists a non-trivial way to actually save a significant portion of the money. That not only requires some "insider" insight, but also somewhat of a "dark magic" that is not even well known among employees.

Posts 1030
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 7:39 AM

Naveen Daniel:

Hi Dale,

6864.Screenshot for Dale.docx

My mistake, you're correct. But, in the Verbum 9 drop down, it's named Standard, but shows up as Verbum. A little confusing. Hmm

https://verbum.com/

Posts 4832
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 11:17 AM

I think I may have stumbled upon an easy no-doing-math way of discerning what the best discount is when comparing the same level across denominational lines. Each product page has "Value of included resources: Over $X." Those values vary. For example, Verbum 9 Eastern Rite Bronze is $7,600, while Verbum 9 Ordinariate Bronze is $7,200, and Lutheran 9 Bronze, mentioned earlier, is $7,400. Presumably, the higher this number, the better the discount, since the regular price of each library is the same. It wouldn't take incredibly long, I think, for someone to create a chart of all of these values for all or most of the packages.

If you wanted a more specific number, you could take the "Bundling discount" or "Full collection value" from the price popup. (Divide the "Regular price" by the "Full collection value" to get the actual discount percentage; do this while subscribed to Faithlife Connect or Verbum Now with just the library selected--or after having purchased the Full Feature Set--to get a straight library-library percentage comparison.)

Dale E Heath:
My mistake, you're correct. But, in the Verbum 9 drop down, it's named Standard, but shows up as Verbum. A little confusing.

That's because there are four different lines of Verbum base packages: Academic, Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, and Standard.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 1030
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:18 PM

SineNomine:

Dale E Heath:
My mistake, you're correct. But, in the Verbum 9 drop down, it's named Standard, but shows up as Verbum. A little confusing.

That's because there are four different lines of Verbum base packages: Academic, Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, and Standard.

You forgot about Verbum 8 Biblicum Standard. It doesn't appear to be included in any other package, but I own it. Perhaps from owning L8 Ultimate previously. Verbum is a little tricky, even with it's own Feature Set(s).

https://verbum.com/product/182577/verbum-8-biblicum-standard

Posts 226
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:24 PM

Dale E Heath:

You forgot about Verbum 8 Biblicum Standard. It doesn't appear to be included in any other package, but I own it. Perhaps from owning L8 Ultimate previously. Verbum is a little tricky, even with it's own Feature Set(s).

https://verbum.com/product/182577/verbum-8-biblicum-standard

Still hoping for a Verbum 9 Biblicum package. Snagging the V8 Biblicum library really filled out my commentaries for a great price!

Posts 1030
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:39 PM

Yes, that would give us 5 Verbum lines. It should get more attention, good value if that's what you're looking for.

Posts 1950
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:50 PM

Forgot to chime in ....

If any of you planning to do what I did... remember not to buy the Messianic BP gold or higher, because I think this is the worst BP in terms of price. This BP has few resources only available in Ultimate in general sense. And at the end it is better to buy Portfolio -> Ultimate at the end rather than buying Messianic BP separately. You'll save a good $$. 

Posts 4832
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 2:38 PM

Dale E Heath:

SineNomine:

Dale E Heath:

You forgot about Verbum 8 Biblicum Standard.

As you noted, that's not a Verbum 9 line of base packages. Neither are the St. Paul Center libraries, which do contain features despite being called libraries.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 4832
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 4:29 PM

SineNomine:

I think I may have stumbled upon an easy no-doing-math way of discerning what the best discount is when comparing the same level across denominational lines. Each product page has "Value of included resources: Over $X." Those values vary. For example, Verbum 9 Eastern Rite Bronze is $7,600, while Verbum 9 Ordinariate Bronze is $7,200, and Lutheran 9 Bronze, mentioned earlier, is $7,400. Presumably, the higher this number, the better the discount, since the regular price of each library is the same. It wouldn't take incredibly long, I think, for someone to create a chart of all of these values for all or most of the packages.

If you wanted a more specific number, you could take the "Bundling discount" or "Full collection value" from the price popup. (Divide the "Regular price" by the "Full collection value" to get the actual discount percentage; do this while subscribed to Faithlife Connect or Verbum Now with just the library selected--or after having purchased the Full Feature Set--to get a straight library-library percentage comparison.)

Evidence in favour of this analysis: Right now, for me, the Verbum 9 Academic Essentials Library and the Logos 9 Academic Essentials Library contain exactly the same unowned resources. The Logos one is cheaper, and the "Full collection value" is higher, while the "Regular price" is identical.

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 8:52 PM

If you want to check the price without the dynamic pricing to know their "original discount" better, you can open a private browsing window, another browser, or just log out.

Page 6 of 7 (130 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS