Best Practices for Dark Mode

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 26 2020 8:47 AM

I'm fairly new to Dark Mode on devices. I'd love to hear how different people use it.

Do you leave it on all the time? If not, when do you use it?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 8:59 AM

I leave it on all the time both on desktop and mobile. The screen's just too bright, otherwise.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 2196
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 9:10 AM

I use it only when bright light is hard on the eyes.  I hope in the future it will not be necessary to restart Logos to switch to dark mode.

Posts 83
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 1:28 PM

This might be a dumb question, but has there been a proper dark mode added to mobile yet?  I know there‘s a “black” theme you can manually select under view settings, but is there a way to have that automatically turn on and off at certain times like a true dark mode?

Posts 4614
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 1:35 PM

Are the only two options regular and dark mode?  It would be great if they offered an option like iOS that changes at sunrise/sundown

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 1:55 PM

Mattillo:

Are the only two options regular and dark mode?  It would be great if they offered an option like iOS that changes at sunrise/sundown

Use f.lux for that.

Posts 31
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 1:58 PM

Mattillo:

If you're on macOS, that functionality is also available to switch light/dark mode based on sunrise/sunset. That's how I have my MacBook Pro setup.

Weekly Bible Study Tips - https://biblestudy.tips 

Posts 9134
LogosEmployee

Mark:
I hope in the future it will not be necessary to restart Logos to switch to dark mode.

I've added this suggestion here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/759 

Please vote for it if it's important to you.

Posts 9134
LogosEmployee

Jon:
I know there‘s a “black” theme you can manually select under view settings, but is there a way to have that automatically turn on and off at certain times like a true dark mode?

Set your View Settings to "System" (not "White" or "Black") and it will automatically follow your device.

Posts 2734
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 5:07 PM

I kind of like dark mode on the GUI but not for reading the text which is just lovely as I have set up for so long. I haven't investigated into making the text different in dark mode. That might not be doable. I have been using an off white and larger print which really has been terrific for my older eyes. It has spoiled me against many print books.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 5:09 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
Please vote for it if it's important to you.

Done!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5506
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 5:28 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Do you leave it on all the time?

Yes.

Posts 507
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 6:00 PM

Jon:
I know there‘s a “black” theme you can manually select under view settings, but is there a way to have that automatically turn on and off at certain times like a true dark mode?

Set your View Settings to "System" (not "White" or "Black") and it will automatically follow your device.

Bradley, if we have it set to system, will it switch between light and dark without restarting? 

Posts 9134
LogosEmployee

Jonathan Bradley:

Bradley, if we have it set to system, will it switch between light and dark without restarting? 

I think it does for Mobile (but not completely sure).

Desktop always requires a restart and doesn't change automatically. (Being able to switch themes without restarting would be a prerequisite for following the system colour scheme.)

Posts 507
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:18 PM

Jonathan Bradley:

I think it does for Mobile (but not completely sure).

Desktop always requires a restart and doesn't change automatically. (Being able to switch themes without restarting would be a prerequisite for following the system colour scheme.)

If the Desktop app always requires a restart of the app, why then have the option for it to follow the system?

Posts 9134
LogosEmployee

Jonathan Bradley:

If the Desktop app always requires a restart of the app, why then have the option for it to follow the system?

It doesn't say Follow... Smile

It will adopt the current theme when you start the application. And it's always correct for Windows 10 users, whose systems don't automatically switch themes at sunset. Big Smile

Posts 507
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:11 AM

I got it. I don't quit out of Logos all that often, so that's why I was asking. I'm just going to keep it in dark mode. 

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:15 AM

Mark Barnes:

Mattillo:

Use f.lux for that.

I don't know about Mac, but on Windows 10 you don't need F.Lux anymore. Just use the Nightlight schedule feature.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 1903
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:25 AM

David Taylor Jr:
I don't know about Mac, but on Windows 10 you don't need F.Lux anymore. Just use the Nightlight schedule feature.

macOS can also automatically change between light and dark modes:

Posts 551
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 10:10 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Mark Barnes:

Mattillo:

Use f.lux for that.

Thats debatable. :-P

Carpe verbum.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS