Disappointed in Proclaim 3 virtual screen feature.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Nathan Haynes | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 26 2020 5:48 PM

I would like to be able to more adequately control the output of a virtual screen similar to how you would do any service item.  For example if I have a bible verse I would like to be able to display it on the main screen but on the virtual screen that I send to OBS I would like to be able to use a lower thirds template and overlay that on top of the video.  Unfortunately the way the virtual screens was implemented is almost completely useless for live streaming.  I am better off continuing to use the confidence slides for my live stream as at least they have a really terrible template editor and can be different looking than the main output.  

PLEASE go back and think about how this feature would be used.  This needs to be an editable template type feature where you can create a completely custom output using elements from the main slide but with it's own look.  

Ideally I would like to be able to apply a lower thirds type template to my live stream bible verses but have it full screen on our projector screen so the old people can read it.

Posts 784
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 9:58 AM

Hi, Nathan, sorry for the disappointment. What you describe has been on our radar since the beginning, however it takes longer to implement than what we have released thus far. 

I already added a entry for this here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/faithlife-proclaim/posts/512

Feel free to leave additional feedback there if you have some more specific needs.

Nathan Haynes :
as at least they have a really terrible template editor and can be different looking than the main output.  

Oh, what is terrible about our Confidence editor? I haven't heard much negative feedback yet?

Nathan Haynes :
Ideally I would like to be able to apply a lower thirds type template to my live stream bible verses but have it full screen on our projector screen so the old people can read it.

This sounds great!

We imagined the usefulness of our current solution as follows: Modifying songs to 2-3 lines, use foreground only for your live stream. In your software/switcher, move the lyrics down to your desired location.

Videos, OBS, etc, use the duplicate option for your stream, show these in their regular position. Use blank for things that don't need to be on the stream.

For sermons, use duplicate, and a picture-n-picture style layout, or bring the slide up fullscreen while he talks about it and then take it away.

Mac | iOS | Android | Windows | Web Developer 

Posts 10
Nathan Haynes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 10:50 AM

Jordan Sjodin:

Oh, what is terrible about our Confidence editor? I haven't heard much negative feedback yet?

The main issue I have with it is the inability to do any advanced editing like you can with templates for the main output.  It tends to do weird things like push things off the screen for no reason and the size it makes text makes little sense to me.

Jordan Sjodin:

Videos, OBS, etc, use the duplicate option for your stream, show these in their regular position. Use blank for things that don't need to be on the stream.

For sermons, use duplicate, and a picture-n-picture style layout, or bring the slide up fullscreen while he talks about it and then take it away.

This is what I do currently using the confidence slides output because I have no other option in Proclaim:

https://imgur.com/Vwo89T9

This is the closest I can get to what I want my live stream to look like.  The virtual screen feature will only basically let me do the verse full screen (which I do not want) or only display the book, chapter, and verse that I am displaying on the main projector screen (which again makes no sense to me at all).  

Posts 135
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 10:08 AM

I want to second this. To me, being able to simply apply a different smart media template to the virtual display would take this from "cool idea" to "killer feature." 

Resizing the "foreground only" template requires switching scenes in OBS when I need the "duplicate" feature for something else and is just generally clunky. 

Posts 1
David White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2021 8:09 AM

Absolutely agree with you on this, Justin.

Posts 784
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2021 3:15 PM

Happy to announce we just released Proclaim 3.1 which brings with it customization on the alt-content outputs! You can now move and edit textfields, change backgrounds and apply smart media templates just like you would for the regular slide outputs.

Plus you can preview all your virtual screens from Preview mode with the new dropdown we added, including the confidence monitor and notes.

https://faithlife.com/posts/3083337

Posts 135
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2021 4:55 PM

Jordan Sjodin:

Happy to announce we just released Proclaim 3.1 which brings with it customization on the alt-content outputs! You can now move and edit textfields, change backgrounds and apply smart media templates just like you would for the regular slide outputs.

Plus you can preview all your virtual screens from Preview mode with the new dropdown we added, including the confidence monitor and notes.

https://faithlife.com/posts/3083337

Jordan, that is the best news I have had all day. It will revolutionize our workflow. Thank you for being so responsive to this line of requests.

Edit: I have been playing with it and am so thrilled at how well it works.
It is by no means a make-or-break feature, but is there any way to set the output transparency color differently for a virtual screen? It is minor, but the green bars if someone puts a graphic with the wrong aspect ratio are jarring. If I could use black for the slides output and green for the live stream NDI output, that would be really cool.

Posts 10
Nathan Haynes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 6:40 AM

Jordan,

There appears to be a bug in the implementation.  For example if I apply smart media to the main output it appears to pull them into the alternate outputs even if I completely remove the background and apply a separate smart media template.

Please see screenshots of preview to see what I mean:

https://imgur.com/a/ZY0iRus

Posts 784
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 8:39 AM

thanks for the report. Looks like an edge case related to videos on the main output. We will take a look at fixing!

Posts 10
Nathan Haynes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 8:42 AM

Thanks!

Posts 784
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2021 4:43 PM

Nathan, this fix has shipped. You should no longer get the main output's video overlapping your alt content output. Version 3.1.0.0014

Posts 6
Luis Santana | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2021 4:32 PM

Hi Jordan. This is a great feature. Really appreciate having a different output to overlay in our video. Editing the alt content screen for foreground content, to use as croma input in the ATEM, I tried placing an image as a foreground element in a bible slide but it only appears in the first slide, for the rest I only get the text from the original content screen. Is there a way it can be seen in every slide? (I tried placing it as background but it wasn’t visible.)

Posts 784
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2021 4:50 PM

You should be able to use a background for this. Go to your alt-content tab, select duplicate for the content type, then click background and select one from the media browser. Use apply as background to just get the background. use apply as smart media to get the textfield layout and the background. 

then you should be good to go. 

if you do still want to use a foreground image, after placing it you can right click on it and select ‘Show on all slides’

Posts 10
Nathan Haynes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2021 6:00 PM

Thanks Jordan the issue does seem to be corrected.  We were able to use the new feature this Sunday for our live stream and it looked fantastic.  Thank you so much for helping push this feature request through the queue.  

Posts 6
Luis Santana | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2021 12:51 PM

Thanks! That was really helpful!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS