So, who else has found L9 to be a bit...underwhelming?

Page 4 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 71 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 5416
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:26 AM

Ken McGuire:
Considering how tightly Libronix was with MS IE, I am impressed that you have been able to keep it running.

L3 does run on Win10, just not very well. It locks up if you click into another window "too fast", i.e. it's best to click the window frame first before clicking into a window other than the one you're currently using. Actually, my Win10 version isn't working right now because for some reason, out of the blue, all of my resources locked. I tried copying over the licensing file from a saved version, but that didn't work. I will try some other fixes as soon as I have a chance. I still have a Vista machine with IE7 that I run L3 on, and I recently mirrored my old HD onto an SSD which I'm using now. That gives me some peace of mind. 

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 1052
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 5:03 AM

MJ. Smith:

Kolen Cheung:
Could be that they automated they out of jobs?

More likely, the economic downturn at the time together with the expenses associated with adding denominational packages led to the layoff. Faithlife runs with a principle of not borrowing money.

Interesting principle. But I can’t help but think their principle of not borrowing money probably made a lot of people needing to borrow money...

I tend to like the Japanese‘ way more. Company loyal to employees, and employees loyal to the company (they are expected to work in the same company until they retire it in the case is women they get married.)

Perhaps a reflection of this is try not to be loyal to Logos as a user. it is not uncommon to have brand loyalty and sometimes just want to spend money on them to make sure they’re ok. I even considered spending in Logos like tithing.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 6:19 AM

Kolen Cheung:
I tend to like the Japanese‘ way more. Company loyal to employees, and employees loyal to the company (they are expected to work in the same company until they retire it in the case is women they get married.)

Kolen, life is changing there too. This month, our son survived 'perminent layoffs' ... double up the work, big successful brokerage, etc Japanese TV humorously deals with the flood of part-time workers. And the marriage age is rising with lots of ladies not interested in the old ways.

But I understand your point. I think it's hard for modern well-fed Christians to understand in the Bible, the next meal was often optional. In my Nari book, you have guys agreeing to enslavement to just stay alive. 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 368
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 7:00 AM

I thought L9 was a "good" update. And I think that's a good thing. If a Bible program is always does something spectacular, the changes will probably will end up being cheesy or unnecessary. There are a lot of small improvements in L9 that show their attention to detail and commitment to maturing the features that are the "meat and potatoes" of the program. 

Good job, Faithlife! I'm looking forward to L10! :)

Posts 41
Pastor Don Carpenter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:34 AM

I am thrilled that Logos took the time to add the reverse interlinear to the MEV!  For those of us who value the TR it is a huge help!  Thanks to whoever thought that was a good idea!!!

Posts 279
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:42 AM

Speaking as a daily Logos user since Logos 3, I like what they have done here. Logos 8 was a BIG step forward - albeit with some snags that have been noted.  Rather than a big step forward, Logos 9 keeps the same general look and flow but make some significant upgrades and improvements. Personally, I am glad.  I don't like to have to "re-learn" Logos every two years.  Incremental, value added is fine with me for a while.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 11:34 AM

Kolen Cheung:

abondservant:

Kolen Cheung:

David Paul:
My grumpiness mushroomed when they got rid of Dave, my salesmen. Spitballing, I'd say that cost FL at least $10-20K since that happened.

What happened to Dave?

He - along with most of the people I had ever interacted with were all let go around the same time. Fired.

It was a mass firing event. Lots of good people caught in the crossfire. Dave was good - pretty quick responses. Good advice.

Rusty was my favorite sales person. He resigned a week or so before the mass firing.

Was it Dave Jones, Academic Program Manager?

I remember him and just found old messages from my email account. That brings back memories in the old day where we would just email them to order things. Rereading those emails, he has been very helpful.

Sounds like something very bad happened and I missed it. Could be that they automated they out of jobs? I don't know what happened but would it be necessary to save the company? In Japanese culture company and its employees has a very strong loyalty, like "Till Death Do Us Part" level that they won't fire people until they go bankrupt, leading to a major economic recession decades ago. But in the US it seems it is a very common thing to downsize company to make them stay healthy. It is just a very American thing.

Ramsay if I recall properly.

I am sure they needed to. I'm glad Bob is willing to make the hard calls to keep the company moving. But for me, Logos went from a company where I knew a number of people, and felt understood, and connected to the company; to feeling disconnected and out in the cold.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:38 PM

abondservant:
But for me, Logos went from a company where I knew a number of people, and felt understood, and connected to the company; to feeling disconnected and out in the cold.

I'm sorry to hear you feel disconnected. We do have quite a few people who've been with us for many years -- five of us since 1993 (!) and others from the 90s and many, many for more than a decade. (And sometimes their kids, who were born after the parent started working for us!)

But over 29 years people come and go, especially in sales, which is where many people have their most direct connection to an individual, but is also a team with higher turnover at our company (as at many companies).

While the person you knew best may have moved on (or retired!), Faithlife's core remains the same: the same leadership and the same profile of team members: people who love the Word and love helping people with Bible study tools.

Posts 5548
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 6:37 PM

Bob Pritchett:
While the person you knew best may have moved on (or retired!), Faithlife's core remains the same: the same leadership and the same profile of team members: people who love the Word and love helping people with Bible study tools.

As part of that leadership and core team profile is a CEO who still shows up on the forums to respond personally to individual feedback from customers. That's something I really respect.

Posts 1052
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:09 PM

Denise:

Kolen, life is changing there too. This month, our son survived 'perminent layoffs' ... double up the work, big successful brokerage, etc Japanese TV humorously deals with the flood of part-time workers. And the marriage age is rising with lots of ladies not interested in the old ways.

But I understand your point. I think it's hard for modern well-fed Christians to understand in the Bible, the next meal was often optional. In my Nari book, you have guys agreeing to enslavement to just stay alive. 

So are you native Japanese? Is the instrument you're holding in your photo Biwa?

There's a lot to be appreciated from the Japanese culture. But they are without its problems and ironically their "Shūshin koyō" culture that never layoff people is part of the reason of the seriousness of their economic problems in recent decades. (I guess that's why they are laying off people now...)

My wife and I was once in an international conference and she basically was responsible for the whole program. We met a lot of people from different culture and the Japanese stood out. They are the most polite people and would even inform her they were going to bathroom in group activities in case we would worried about missing person. Others would happily disappeared into the crowds and wondered what's the big fuss of people waiting them to arrive in the shuttle bus.

I guess the worst thing about Japanese culture as a foreigners is their view on "Gaijin". I'm from Hong Kong and due to recent political situations there many countries offered refuge for us. Japanese is one of them (they want to attract people from the financial business.) But I discussed with my wife and basically I said I'd never considered moving to Japanese. Traveling there is great (and we've been there a few times.) But working there as a Gaijin is just never will be a good career and experience.

What you said about the next meal is true. I remembered vividly when I was in those time my wife and I experienced the Lord intensely, and everyday is like another miracle. (But there's also a lot of trauma associated it.) And also as a non US citizen in the US we often felt like a sojourners, and sometimes it reminded me the story of Abraham.

Modern civilization and its advances are based on having a very stable life. Certainly it will be very difficult for us to understand the kind of instabilities they're having in the biblical times (or like medieval.) You know, the kind of things happening in Hong Kong, is already a great surprises to us who "take democracy for granted" and that kind of oppression, while nothing comparing to say the slaughtering of Christians in the past, was already felt quite surreal and unimaginable to us.

I think the recent COVID-19 situation basically is a wake up call for many of us. It brings us closer to the situation that nothing can be taken for granted and to experience the Lord's mercy everyday. With so many people dying out there every day, every breath we are taking is truly a grace.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 10:00 PM

Kolen Cheung:
So are you native Japanese? Is the instrument you're holding in your photo Biwa?

That's not me ... but yes, a biwa. I think a pipa in China. It plays the opposite of instruments westerners are used to. I found a century old one and reconditioned it. Plays nice. My family is from Japan ... I'm gaijin and yes, it's not easy to fit in. I understand your thinking.

What always surprises me, is that Christians almost always choose country first ... Christian second, unless it's the same race or denomination. Then they make an exception. Just like the Apostle Paul instructed (joking).

I'm hoping for your continued forum participation ... new perspectives are always valuable. And I hope events in HK will settle down ... there's no easy solution.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 11:07 AM

Bob Pritchett:

I'm sorry to hear you feel disconnected. We do have quite a few people who've been with us for many years -- five of us since 1993 (!) and others from the 90s and many, many for more than a decade. (And sometimes their kids, who were born after the parent started working for us!)

But over 29 years people come and go, especially in sales, which is where many people have their most direct connection to an individual, but is also a team with higher turnover at our company (as at many companies).

The few times we've interacted you have always been more graceful to me, than I have any right to expect. Thank you for the response.

Some were sales, some weren't. Most were. Literally everyone I knew except for Phil, and you. 

Logos is still the first place I look for a book that I need. Probably always will be.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 4 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS