Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 130
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 2:48 PM

Does anybody (please..? Stick out tongue) agree with me that Arland J. Hultgren should be moved from the miscellaneous group to the Lutheran grouping of the new Logos 9 Passage Guide (by denomination)? (I don't want to start a fight Wink ) See below:

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 1795
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 4:02 PM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:
Does anybody (please..? Stick out tongue) agree with me that Arland J. Hultgren should be moved

Of course he should be in the Lutheran category, as should the Concordia Self-Study Commentary.

And the Baker New Testament Commentary series should be Reformed.

The whole feature is in process. It may never be finished since of the writing of books there is no end, but there are obvious improvements that Faithlife has been making even since Monday.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 130
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 4:14 PM

Ken McGuire:

there are obvious improvements that Faithlife has been making even since Monday.

Yes

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 1525
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 4:33 PM

Sean et al,

I think this feature is well-intentioned and useful to some. But the label "Denomination" might just be too contentious. (As someone pointed out in another post, should "Jewish/Judaism" be included?)

Would "Tradition" be a better label, and being more consistent with how the Base Packages are labeled?

Peter

Posts 952
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 5:07 PM

David Ames:

David Thomas:

This exposes the challenge when Logos tags by denomination but users read it as theological.

I would rather see a theological break out. That would be more useful to the way I study.  

Somewhere I saw that there were 40,000 denominations.  Question: how many theological groups do they fall into?

I don't know where this figure of 40k comes from. We haven't attempted to cover all denominations in the US, much less the entire world (i'm not even sure how we could): Factbook currently includes a little less than 200. These are organized into about 35 denominational groups, 25 of which are labeled in the Passage Guide Commentaries section under "Denomination".

Posts 2782
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 6:28 PM

Sean Boisen:

I don't know where this figure of 40k comes from. 

Factbook currently includes a little less than 200. These are organized into about 35 denominational groups, 25 of which are labeled in the Passage Guide Commentaries section under "Denomination".

Faith Life Forum "groups"

1. Anglican Products  
  2. Baptist Products  
  3. Catholic Products  
  4. Jewish Products  
  5. Lutheran Products  
  6. Messianic Jewish Products  
  7. Methodist & Wesleyan Products  
  8. Orthodox Products  
  9. Pentecostal & Charismatic Products  
  10. Reformed Products  
  11. Seventh-day Adventist Products  

Currently you have 11 “denominational” Forum “groups” [Yes, I know that the word “denominational’ does not fit all of them but I am lacking a better word while considering tagging resources as to who would want to use that resource] If I was doing this [and I am glad that I am not]  I would start by grouping them into the Forum “groups”. As which Forum group members would be most likely to purchase and use these.   Then split them finer if need be.  [[of course there are some of us that buy from more than one "group" but a tool that told us what group a resource fits when found in a search  will be useful]]  

Also: Did a 'google' on "count of denominations": estimates range from 30 to 45 thousand.  We have come a long way since we were just People of THE Way.  [Stress on the word “THE” as in the one and only way.]

Good luck!  Will review which "Groups" that I find useful after we can use your tool to see which is in what.

Posts 10
Alan Monroe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 6:53 PM

Please keep in mind that the groupings of the commentaries in the various sections, whether it be by denomination, era, or any other section, is a work in progress. FL is doing a good job with this, but it is going to take time.

Posts 32180
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 11:15 PM

David Ames:
o: Did a 'google' on "count of denominations": estimates range from 30 to 45 thousand

Most estimates in that range consider a denomination to be unique to a country ... a concept I understand but am amused by

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1525
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 5:55 AM

Why can't you use the term "Traditions" (as in the Base Package labelings) instead of "Denominations"?

Posts 2782
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 9:06 AM

PL:

Why can't you use the term "Traditions" (as in the Base Package labelings) instead of "Denominations"?

Yes   

But then we will need to define each "tradition"  

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS