Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 18
Gavin Anthony | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 30 2020 4:01 AM

Anyone know if the Logos 9 free engine upgrade coming next year will include the updated Factbook, or is the new Factbook considered a new, separate, feature? Cheers!

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 4:08 AM

I’m not sure we have a definitive answer, but the strong likelihood is that the new Factbook will be in Basic, but some of the datasets needed to power it fully won’t be.

Posts 18
Gavin Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 4:16 AM

Thanks Mark!

While I am here: I realise this depends on the work someone is doing, do you have any recommendations for the minimum datasets required to make Factbook a really useful tool?

Posts 2698
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 7:52 AM

Gavin Anthony:
Anyone know if the Logos 9 free engine upgrade coming next year will include the updated Factbook, or is the new Factbook considered a new, separate, feature? Cheers!

Yes, the new Factbook will be available as part of the free engine upgrade. That said some of the new data that is displayed in Factbook is part of various datasets that would need to be purchased as part of a feature set upgrade.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 2698
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 7:57 AM

Gavin Anthony:

While I am here: I realise this depends on the work someone is doing, do you have any recommendations for the minimum datasets required to make Factbook a really useful tool?

It does heavily depend on what you are looking for.

Most of the regular books found in the various feature sets are there because they provide content for Factbook.

https://www.logos.com/compare/featuresets

For example, the Biblical Commentaries provide Key Articles for pericopes (passages) in Factbook. The Bible Dictionaries and Encyclopedias provide Key Articles for a broad range of topics.

There are many, many datasets that contribute data to Factbook, depending on the type of references you are looking at.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 11:33 AM

Would logos 8 users get to upgrade to the logos 9 engine?  Already feel betrayed by having to leave wordsearch which was a better Bible software program and easy to use with features such as Carousell, easy to use icon buttions and book sorting.  Not to mention loosing lesson maker for sermon preparation and all my Bible Notes That I have added with years of study,

Also if we do get to upgrade free to the engine, would we get the tools for sermon preparation that is shown in the video? That wou,d be good for word search users since lesson maker did something similar.

the one thin I knew and why I switched to Wordsearch years ago is the cost of upgrades and books is higher than anywhere else.  Wordsearch upgrades were normally about $50 with a $20 coupon that came out at the same time they did it.  Books were sold separately regardless of the version and not in hundred And thousand dollar packages which have a lot of books not needed.

The one kudo I do have for logos is that they have a good mobile app compared to Wordsearch, Accordance and unlike PC Study Bible you do not have to have a monthly subscription to access your library.

Posts 259
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 11:41 AM

Lawrence Espinosa:

Would logos 8 users get to upgrade to the logos 9 engine?  Already feel betrayed by having to leave wordsearch which was a better Bible software program and easy to use with features such as Carousell, easy to use icon buttions and book sorting.  Not to mention loosing lesson maker for sermon preparation and all my Bible Notes That I have added with years of study,

Also if we do get to upgrade free to the engine, would we get the tools for sermon preparation that is shown in the video? That wou,d be good for word search users since lesson maker did something similar.

the one thin I knew and why I switched to Wordsearch years ago is the cost of upgrades and books is higher than anywhere else.  Wordsearch upgrades were normally about $50 with a $20 coupon that came out at the same time they did it.  Books were sold separately regardless of the version and not in hundred And thousand dollar packages which have a lot of books not needed.

The one kudo I do have for logos is that they have a good mobile app compared to Wordsearch, Accordance and unlike PC Study Bible you do not have to have a monthly subscription to access your library.

You can purchase Logos feature upgrades separate from library upgrades if you'd prefer to not pay for any additional books.  I think you'd need the silver feature set for all of the sermon features in the video.

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 11:57 AM

Thanks, I probably should have known that as logos is more about selling than real ministry help.  I really liked WORDsearch before Lifeway ever had anything to do with them.  This just leaves the door open for more commotion in the future to provide what believers need for an affordable price. as stated every Wordsearch user that paid for lesson maker now lost a valuable feature,

Posts 5365
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 12:05 PM

Greeting Lawrence and welcome to the Forum community. Here we are mostly volunteers (apart from times like this when big changes are afoot and we have a greater staff presence to help us along) drop in and try to help folk along and make sure that we all get the best out of the software. Some things in your post are quite concerning.

Lawrence Espinosa:
Already feel betrayed by having to leave wordsearch

As I understood it, the Wordsearch program will still work pretty much as before providing you have all your resources downloaded. Is this the case or have I mistaken the situation? If you can no longer use Wordsearch then I think something must be wrong with the system.

Lawrence Espinosa:
Not to mention loosing lesson maker for sermon preparation and all my Bible Notes

This is tragic and I am sure that the Logos staff will be able to help you out with the notes issue. I gathered that ones notes would remain available in the Wordsearch program, at least until the developers had completed a means of transferring them to the Logos platform. If your notes have gone missing then please do contact customer support and see if they can help.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 5508
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 12:14 PM

Lawrence Espinosa:
Would logos 8 users get to upgrade to the logos 9 engine?

In a few months there will be a free version of Logos 9 available. It won't have all of the new Logos 9 features, but it will have some of them.

Lawrence Espinosa:
Books were sold separately regardless of the version and not in hundred And thousand dollar packages which have a lot of books not needed.

Most books Faithlife sells are available individually or will be soon. If there's an individual book that you want to buy outside of a collection that isn't available on its own, you can request it, and (although sometimes prevented by licensing agreements or whatever) it'll often end up available alone.

Lawrence Espinosa:
The one kudo I do have for logos is that they have a good mobile app compared to Wordsearch, Accordance

Yes. And building that mobile app cost a lot of money.

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 1:45 PM

Thanks Mike for your response, 

as you know as windows updates sooner or later the old version of WORDsearch will sooner and later be obsolete especially since there will be no support for updates.  I cannot run logos 8 on my computer like WORDsearch as it takes too much Ram and Is very slow to run.  For me to Make the most use of it I will need to purchase a mew computer which I’d did not do for WORDsearch. I tried even deleting WORDsearch to see if that would help but no use.

currently I am relying on the app.  

Still not sure how to get all ,y notes and links out of wordsearch to logos as I have been using it for many, many years and going verse by verse in the notes section will take forever.

Posts 32966
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 1:47 PM

Lawrence Espinosa:
Still not sure how to get all ,y notes and links out of wordsearch to logos as I have been using it for many, many years and going verse by verse in the notes section will take forever.

Faithlife has said they will convert them. What you do is wait.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 2:11 PM

Thanks Mike for your reply

yYes I can still use Wordsearch as long as windows does not do anymore updates then it may become obsolete such as many of my old Bible Programs such as Hebrew and Greek Tutor from Pearson’s as tech support will most likely not be available for Wordsearch in the near future.

Another issue I have ran into is that I cannot run Logos 8 on my Microsoft Surface as it does not have enough Ram to run effectively but is way too slow. it works fine for Wordsearch but not logos. In order to change this I will have to buy a new computer but the surface I have now is formatted for teaching and preaching along which I really do not want to switch. I even tried uninstalling Wordsearch and that did not help. So I have to rely on the app for using logos and not my computer.

the last thing is How to get all my notes and links from Wordsearch to Logos.  After many years of study, I have a lot and going verse by verse will take forever.  Including all my links in Lesson maker will now be obsolete though I can stlll download my lessons in MS Word.

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 2:12 PM

Thanks Mike for your reply

yYes I can still use Wordsearch as long as windows does not do anymore updates then it may become obsolete such as many of my old Bible Programs such as Hebrew and Greek Tutor from Pearson’s as tech support will most likely not be available for Wordsearch in the near future.

Another issue I have ran into is that I cannot run Logos 8 on my Microsoft Surface as it does not have enough Ram to run effectively but is way too slow. it works fine for Wordsearch but not logos. In order to change this I will have to buy a new computer but the surface I have now is formatted for teaching and preaching along which I really do not want to switch. I even tried uninstalling Wordsearch and that did not help. So I have to rely on the app for using logos and not my computer.

the last thing is How to get all my notes and links from Wordsearch to Logos.  After many years of study, I have a lot and going verse by verse will take forever.  Including all my links in Lesson maker will now be obsolete though I can stlll download my lessons in MS Word.

Posts 32966
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 2:13 PM

Lawrence Espinosa:
How to get all my notes and links from Wordsearch to Logos.

I answered this above.  Our timing must have crossed paths.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 3:00 PM
Thanks MJ that is one thing I will be happy to see
Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 3:01 PM
Thanks MJ That is one thing I will love tomsee
Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 4:23 PM

Lawrence Espinosa:
Thanks, I probably should have known that as logos is more about selling than real ministry help.
This is not really fair, or accurate, at all.

I have gotten to know quite a few of the high level staff over the years and I know for a FACT this is not their heart.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 5:08 PM

I am not talking about the stuff but the business As a whole which is why I switched to WORDsearch years ago.  Almost anyone can tell by the price of the product comparing to other software along with physically purchasing the books that logos is high.

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 5:22 PM

Lawrence Espinosa:

I am not talking about the stuff but the business As a whole which is why I switched to WORDsearch years ago.  Almost anyone can tell by the price of the product comparing to other software along with physically purchasing the books that logos is high.

The problem is you are comparing apples to oranges once you add all of the tagging and datasets that Logos has. It is not like other software and it definitely is not like a physical book.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS