We need a Weather in the Bible Dataset!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5612
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 1 2020 5:59 AM

Vote here to get Faithlife to create a data set and Factbook resource that identifies all occurrences and other references to weather and weather-related phenomena in the Bible and their metadata.

...because you can always talk about the weather!

And there's lots of it in the Bible to talk about.

Vote here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-data-sets/posts/1008

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.”St. John of the Cross

Posts 1691
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 7:42 AM

Voted.

That could also contain some more general information of the weather and climate.

The ultimate would be something that estimates the possible weather at the Biblical event. Geeked

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2399
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 7:47 AM

Hmmm.  I voted too.  Interesting idea.

Posts 5612
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 10:17 AM

Veli Voipio:
That could also contain some more general information of the weather and climate.

Perhaps a "Biblical Climates Dataset" as well?

GaoLu:

Interesting idea.

Weather is something so many of us think about all the time in our daily lives. And it's in the Bible. Frequently. But I'm not aware of any studies of or tools for studying it in the Bible.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.”St. John of the Cross

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 10:33 AM

SineNomine:
Vote here to get Faithlife to create a data set and Factbook resource that identifies all occurrences and other references to weather and weather-related phenomena in the Bible and their metadata.

There certainly are a number of really important weather phenomena in the Bible, and most that are reported play a significant purpose in God's plan. The Flood, floods, droughts, a hot sunny day, hail, snow... It would be an interesting dataset. I will vote for it.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 50
Michael Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 5:56 PM

So true. A case in point is that for the Revised Common Lectionary users this was one of the OT lections for yesterday.

14 So when the people broke camp to cross the Jordan, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant went ahead of them. 15 Now the Jordan is at flood stage all during harvest. Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water’s edge, 16 the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap a great distance away, at a town called Adam in the vicinity of Zarethan, while the water flowing down to the Sea of the Arabah (that is, the Dead Sea) was completely cut off. So the people crossed over opposite Jericho. 17 The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord stopped in the middle of the Jordan and stood on dry ground, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground. 

The New International Version (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011), Jos 3:14–17.

Such a dataset could well have provided useful interpretive background to such a text as this.

Posts 3181
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 1 2020 7:01 PM

SineNomine:

Fascinating idea. How did you strike upon this idea? Makes me wonder if there is an astronomical dataset. I voted for...hope to see this developed soon.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 5612
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 10:03 AM

Beloved Amodeo:
How did you strike upon this idea?

I thought briefly about stuff in the Bible that there is no dataset for yet. I think I also had the weather on my mind at the time.

Posts 3181
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 10:25 AM

SineNomine:
I think I also had the weather on my mind at the time.
Big Smile

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 11:02 AM

Here's a search I put together on the weather phenomena I could think of in the Bible. In the NASB95 there are 1028 results in 768 verses (with 'Match all word forms' checked).

(rain,snow,drought,hail,flood,hot,heat,cold,freeze,frozen,frost,"dried up",wind,scorch,storm,wave,cloud,rainbow,shower,dew,tempest,dry,lightning,thunder,whirlwind,mist,downpour,ice,cloudburst,weather)  

I am not sure all of these get hits, and not all the results would probably belong in a weather dataset, but the sheer number of results shows this would be a good dataset to have (along with a tool that uses it).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS