How large is your library?

Page 3 of 4 (78 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 77 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1031
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 6:23 PM

Rosie Perera:

I hid nearly all the Perseus titles (>1000) and the Library of Early English History (>25,000) and Library of Early American History (~5000).

Thank goodness I only have the Perseus and the Early American. Thrilled to get them free and/or cheap, but just a waste of space (or bits) now. Ever since I bought Ultimate 2 years ago, I find that I already have the free, cheap, and half price books. Saves some money.

Posts 26
Eric Back | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 7:04 PM

My library is about 5700 volumes. Most of the choices were intentional based on seminary training, interest, denominational affiliation, and hard-copy replacement though I've picked up a few in denominational collections that offer little and that I have little interest in. My wife encouraged me to get rid of the heavy, hard copy books, and was supportive of electronic versions...  to a point.

Posts 1951
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 7:45 PM

All I see are just bunch of money you guys could've saved. Zip it!Stick out tongue

Posts 31293
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 7:50 PM

mike:
All I see are just bunch of money you guys could've saved.

My physical library is still larger than my electronic library. Were I to have saved the "bunch of money" you see, my life would have been poorer, my knowledge narrower, and my curiosity stunted. Put another way, I found the Early English Library well worth the cost for the psalters alone.  The sermons have been a bonus. The non-religious materials are relegated to the cloud.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1494
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 8:24 PM

mike:

All I see are just bunch of money you guys could've saved. Zip it!Stick out tongue

I can’t speak for all, but for me that would be a flat lie. I wouldn’t have those money now. I would spend them somewhere else. 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 5527
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 11:59 PM

Wild Eagle:

mike:

I can’t speak for all, but for me that would be a flat lie. I wouldn’t have those money now. I would spend them somewhere else. 

I agree with you Wild Eagle and it could well have been spent in things that you might no longer. I have never thought on my investment in my Logos library a wage of money. It enriches my life, allows me to step outside my own little world, to step into others shoes, to walk in times past and get a glimpse into some of the minds of the deepest thinkers humanity has known, it challenges me to think about that what I believe, for those beliefs to be more than just folk theology but instead beliefs founded on the scriptures and solid reasoning in interpreting and apply the scripture, it allows me to stand on the shoulders of giants in the faith and see things from a perspective I might otherwise have missed. At times it brings a smile to my face at others a tear to my eyes or challenges me to change and grow, to become more Christ like or it gives knowledge understanding and wisdom to serve those around me. I will never see my Logos Library as a poor invs or think about what I could have saved if I bought differently. 

Posts 973
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 12:49 AM

Kiyah:

My library lists 7,106 resources. Can't believe I got there so quickly.

Actually, without Perseus my library has 5,709 resources

Posts 24
Peter Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 2:06 AM

It enriches my life, allows me to step outside my own little world, to step into others shoes, to walk in times past and get a glimpse into some of the minds of the deepest thinkers humanity has known, it challenges me to think about that what I believe, for those beliefs to be more than just folk theology but instead beliefs founded on the scriptures and solid reasoning in interpreting and apply the scripture, it allows me to stand on the shoulders of giants in the faith and see things from a perspective I might otherwise have missed. At times it brings a smile to my face at others a tear to my eyes or challenges me to change and grow, to become more Christ like or it gives knowledge understanding and wisdom to serve those around me. 

Beautifully said.

(Also, copied and pasted for use when the next credit card bill arrives!) Wink

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 5:14 AM

They are a lot. I hope the sampling is biased as people have more books tends to answer and those who has less are too shameful to say.

I‘m the later one and all I can say is I ranked almost the last so far.

And even if you bought them at great deals, the libraries you have is approaching the cost of a decent used car to some cheap new car...

Posts 5527
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 5:26 AM

There is no shame in having a small library. Just as having a larger library does not make you anymore spiritual or faithful or bring you more honour.  We all have different interests and need, come from different circumstances and are in different seasons of our lives. 

Kolen Cheung:

They are a lot. I hope the sampling is biased as people have more books tends to answer and those who has less are too shameful to say.

And even if you bought them at great deals, the libraries you have is approaching the cost of a decent used car to some cheap new car...

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 5:42 AM

Kolen Cheung:

When I first saw the question, I wondered " what is the least you could spend (or volumes) and still get to heaven?" I assume it'd be touch and go .... 'silver I have none??', and full feature or just rented? Would Peter notice you're counting Perseus, rationalizing it has lots of greek/latin examples (but no aramaic for Peter).

The correct answer is of course 'none' ... apparently the early church did quite well with just the 'good news'. But modern times demand more. I looked back at my misbegotten life, and believe best is a preferred Bible, maybe a BKC, plus an IVP backgrounds. After that a devotional(s). The rest is fluff. Ha.

I like your points.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 6:00 AM

DIsciple II:
Just as having a larger library does not make you anymore spiritual or faithful or bring you more honour.

Serious??  Yes, I understand you're point (and agree). But even a light reading of some of FL's marketing does suggest a leg-up at the pearly gates. Surely Peter's at least consulted with Marketing.

Posts 5159
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 6:28 AM

Denise:
When I first saw the question, I wondered " what is the least you could spend (or volumes) and still get to heaven?"

Spent on print editions, every book will get you closer to heaven. By how much depends on the thickness of the book and how you build the steps.

It would take a longer time with a digital library as you would have to build the steps out of worn-out hard-drives and they are the very devil to balance on.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 9
Hugo Sørli | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 6:34 AM

How do you see how many boks you have? I must have come really far in usage of logos since I even cant point that out. But now I need to know how much do I have...

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 6:35 AM

Mike Binks:
Spent on print editions, every book will get you closer to heaven.

Ahhh! Ok, ok .... this finally explains why archaeologists found large stacks of cuneiform tablets near the top steps of the tower, at the Babel diggings.

Posts 548
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 6:49 AM

I hope I have my Logos Software in Heaven..   I really mean this..  And I think we may have it in Heaven..   We will continue learning in Heaven.. 

Posts 276
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 6:53 AM

My Logos library is currently 27, 560. I don't care to count my print books.

Posts 2271
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 8:10 AM

Hugo Sørli:
How do you see how many boks you have?

I go for quality over quantity Cool No Perseus or other distractions to slow down searches.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9
Hugo Sørli | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 8:23 AM

I think I got 2728. I just got this, haven't a clue how to use it yet. But been wondering, I really could just stick to E-Sword and strong word, and have just as much joy with the simplicity of the gospel, the very good news about the new life and the kingdom.

When the china had the bigger persecutions against the Christian, there where no big library, and many had not even seen a bible before, but they had the holy spirit and the praise to Him. Some died and some ended in prison for 20 years with hard suffering for Christ, without any bible. Yet, how they shined with the glory of Christ in the mitts of their suffering. Not hard to see how affected they where by Christ and he's move inside of them. 

Books and resources are nice, but can as well be a trap. On the other side, we have got a lot from books and the history, and by others digging, and we thank them. But all the books and Christians tv show does not necessary makes us closer to Him. Funny this thing. Lets not put any doubt on sermons. Their good, necessary, and very encouraging, its Gods work at He's will. But when God speak very personally to me, He always point me to something I personally read in the bible, not so often about what another preacher said one time. I just wanted to emphasising the importance of eating Gods word, its food. And I eat for my own cause, just as I eat my daily bread. Taking care of me that way.

I just think we should remember does facts, without the holy spirit where lost, even in our study, with this tool. With just a touch on the key, we can search for terms and other stuff, where in past we had to heavily lean on by faith for our answers. Must this not get lost in this tool... Sorry if I'm ignorant about this tool, its just so new to me.

Lets pray for and with each other right now, in this place, so we can use this tool as it should be used. I'll bless you, and you bless me, and lets join a blessing ring of fire between us... Its a strong effect in a righteous mans prayer and blessings, and by faith where just as righteous as any in the old and new testament because of Christ scarifies. By faith on Christ alone and he's wonderful name Jesus, he declare us righteous, as a free gift. Later on he circumcised our heart as a seal on that faith we just had, just as he did with Abraham. Oh, how precious He is against us.

I'll just bless you all in here, and pray that God will open up our eyes so we can grasp our realities about us in Christ, and the inheritance we he have been given in Christ. And to share this good free gift as God has freely given us, so other can get some heavenly food, give them food. So many starving because they do not eat the food or the right kind of food, or the food for the right time, the word of God. And help us to never let go of the living dependant faith, just to replace it with just a keyword search. Help us with that balance in Jesus name. Amen!

Posts 196
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 9:19 AM

Would love to see people's thoughts on this. An, I really mean it too. 

Page 3 of 4 (78 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS