Tip: Return Logos 8 if you bought it within 30 days, or contact sales

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2020 7:40 PM

It probably is well known, but worth to reiterate:

Do not just upgrade to buying some Logos 9 packages from the website if you bought any Logos 8 packages within 30 days.

In the case that your upgrade package includes everything included in the previous package, you can return and buy it later. It will saves you some money.

In any cases (including the above case), you can actually contact sales directly, tell them you bought Logos 8 in the last 30 days, and if they do it correctly to adjust the pricing, it will be equivalent to the above case (if the upgrade package includes the returning package), or do something smarter (if the 2 packages has mutually exclusive titles.)

However, you might not be sure “if they did correctly”, so a return is cleaner. In my case, it was Logos 8 Academic Professional to Logos 9 Academic Professional:

• paid $236.56 for Logos 8 AP
  • upgrade to Logos 9 AP library only is $17.09
    • including full feature set is 151.76

After I return it,

• upgrade to Logos 9 AP library only is $244.73
    • including full feature set is $379.40

The diff is not a lot, but the point is it is less expensive in total after return.

Also, I checked earlier that Logos 9 AP strictly includes Logos 8 AP. But they changes Logos 9 AP a couple of time. I think it still holds, but I could check again.

Edit: Warning: if the product you return is not included (i.e. not a subset of) the product you are upgrading to, you are losing resources. I thought it was clear from the text above, but some of you said otherwise. Be warned.

Posts 35585
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 8:20 PM

Kolen Cheung:
you might not be sure “if they did correctly”

I would hope Faithlife customers are a bit more trusting than this .... life is dreadful if you're always expecting to get shafted.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 8:57 PM

That’s my experience in Logos 8 launch. I contacted the sales at least twice and they are giving me wildly different price. Simple things is simple. Other than that it is error prone.

I’m not saying some are deceitful. But some may not know better to do it correctly. also see the other thread about “Logos discount” where there are numerous example of wrong info from sales.

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 10:10 PM

I would not say this is a general tip people should follow. You are comparing an apple and an orang. The library packages between 8 an 9 differ and so when you return 8 you are going to loose access to resources not in 9. 

in the past when I have bought a package 30 or less days prior to a new one FL have given a credit to my account. They did not need to but did because they are not greedy and seek to not do the wrong thing when it comes to pricing. I  am amazed at the amount of discussion and formulation going on in these forums  about how one might get the better of FL on pricing and the hidden undertone that FL is greedy or can not be trusted on pricing,

Kolen Cheung:

It probably is well known, but worth to reiterate:

Do not just upgrade by buying some Logos 9 packages from the website if you bought any Logos 8 packages without 30 days.

In the case that your upgrade package includes everything included in the previous package, you can return and buy it later. It will saves you some money.

In any cases (including the above case), you can actually contact sales directly, tell them you bought Logos 8 in the last 30 days, and if they do it correctly to adjust the pricing, it will be equivalent to the above case (if the upgrade package includes the returning package), or do something smarter (if the 2 packages has mutually exclusive titles.)

However, you might not be sure “if they did correctly”, so a return is cleaner. In my case, it was Logos 8 Academic Professional to Logos 9 Academic Professional:

• paid $236.56 for Logos 8 AP
  • upgrade to Logos 9 AP library only is $17.09
    • including full feature set is 151.76

After I return it,

• upgrade to Logos 9 AP library only is $244.73
    • including full feature set is $379.40

The diff is not a lot, but the point is it is less expensive in total after return.

Also, I checked earlier that Logos 9 AP strictly includes Logos 8 AP. But they changes Logos 9 AP a couple of time. I think it still holds, but I could check again.

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 11:17 PM

Did you read the fine print that I said in this specific case Logos 9 Academic Professional includes everything in Logos 8 Academic Professional? And I also said in the case it didn't, contact sales.

My point is if you upgrade directly, it is going to be more expensive. If you contact sale for the non-trivial case, they will make it a credit. And if they did that correctly, it will be cheaper than upgrading it on your own.

So TL;DR: return if the new package includes the old one, and contact sales if not. That's the summary of what I said originally.

Edit: actually it is in the title of this post, but I see that the title is not as accurate as the TL;DR above.

Edit2: I just put emphasis in the original post in case you missed the main points. It is 2 cases, 2 methods. One is more of a special case, another is more general but more hassle.

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 1:28 AM

Did you read what i said, this is not a general tip, I was not commenting about Academic package specifically. The title of your post is misleading because it does not make any reference to the academic package but simply says if you bought Logos 8 in  last 30 days return it, hence I was making clear your tip does not apply to any purchase of Logos 8 as the post suggests.

Kolen Cheung:

Did you read the fine print that I said in this specific case Logos 9 Academic Professional includes everything in Logos 8 Academic Professional? And I also said in the case it didn't, contact sales.

My point is if you upgrade directly, it is going to be more expensive. If you contact sale for the non-trivial case, they will make it a credit. And if they did that correctly, it will be cheaper than upgrading it on your own.

So TL;DR: return if the new package includes the old one, and contact sales if not. That's the summary of what I said originally.

Edit: actually it is in the title of this post, but I see that the title is not as accurate as the TL;DR above.

Edit2: I just put emphasis in the original post in case you missed the main points. It is 2 cases, 2 methods. One is more of a special case, another is more general but more hassle.

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 2:31 AM

DIsciple II:
Did you read what i said, this is not a general tip, I was not commenting about Academic package specifically. The title of your post is misleading because it does not make any reference to the academic package but simply says if you bought Logos 8 in  last 30 days return it, hence I was making clear your tip does not apply to any purchase of Logos 8 as the post suggests.

Did you read what I said? Read it again.

However, in your favor I added a warning there.

The general tip is about if you bought Logos 8 within 30 days, not the action. There are 2 actions, 1 is return, another is contact sale. I did mention only in the case returning package included in upgrading package you should do return, and in every case (including this special case) you should contact sale rather than just upgrade through the web.

Posts 1054
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 2:35 AM

To Faithlife employee, please delete this post. I'm tired of answering to those who don't read carefully and accusing me of spreading wrong information. I fear many more who don't read carefully would return and lose resources in the process and blame me.

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 3:19 AM

I read carefully and your post heading did not match your content. Getting upset with me because I actually read carefully your post heading and you post content and made a clarifying remark for anyone who reads your post heading seems to indicate you have read where my post and saw I clearly stated this was not a general tip.  I have not accused you of spreading misinformation, I simply said the post heading was misleading as it did not line up with what you said in the post content.

Kolen Cheung:

To Faithlife employee, please delete this post. I'm tired of answering to those who don't read carefully and accusing me of spreading wrong information. I fear many more who don't read carefully would return and lose resources in the process and blame me.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 5:07 AM

DIsciple II:
I am amazed at the amount of discussion and formulation going on in these forums  about how one might get the better of FL on pricing and the hidden undertone that FL is greedy or can not be trusted on pricing,

Really?? I always read in awe of Mark's calculations, to get the better of FL Marketing. More accurately, to save money. But as long as FL competitors offer EDLP, the average FL customer is not going to assume FL just doesn't know how.  Map those negatives out (ha).

As for Kolen's suggestion, and recognizing international semantics, his advice is standard for as far back as I can remember. Try to do big buys close to major releases, so you can choose to refund, or not. Actually, I broke that rule on Biblicum ... I was afraid they'd change it ... which I guess they did on AP recently?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 11:26 AM

Yes really Denise, I think it’s going to far what’s happening with this release in trying to come up with ways to get the better of FL but that’s just my take. This one is a matter of conscience on how far one takes what is permissible.

Denise:

DIsciple II:
I am amazed at the amount of discussion and formulation going on in these forums  about how one might get the better of FL on pricing and the hidden undertone that FL is greedy or can not be trusted on pricing,

Really?? I always read in awe of Mark's calculations, to get the better of FL Marketing. More accurately, to save money. But as long as FL competitors offer EDLP, the average FL customer is not going to assume FL just doesn't know how.  Map those negatives out (ha).

As for Kolen's suggestion, and recognizing international semantics, his advice is standard for as far back as I can remember. Try to do big buys close to major releases, so you can choose to refund, or not. Actually, I broke that rule on Biblicum ... I was afraid they'd change it ... which I guess they did on AP recently?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS