A whole bunch of new books just dropped in pre-pub; some gems in there!

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2020 7:48 PM

In the last day or two, hundreds of new books just showed up in Pre-pub. I think they're mostly from the Wordsearch acquisition. I've paged through all of them and found some gems, including a few that I had requested of Logos in the past.

Too Busy Not To Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God (Bill Hybels)

IVP Classics: The Mark of the Christian, 2nd Edition (Francis Schaeffer)

Genesis in Space and Time (Francis Schaeffer)\

Pocket Dictionary of New Religious Movements: Over 400 Groups, Individuals & Ideas Clearly and Concisely Defined

Pocket Dictionary of North American Denominations

The Complete Book of Everyday Christianity: An A to Z Guide to Following Christ in Every Aspect of Life

Reading God's Story: A Chronological Daily Bible

The New Oxford Annotated Bible -- YESSSSS!!!

A Theology of Liberation, 15th Anniversary Edition: History, Politics, and Salvation (Gustavo Gutierrez)

Tyndale Handbook of Bible Charts & Maps - I have this in print and it's excellent

Chronological And Background Charts of the New Testament (H. Wayne House) - I have this in print and it's excellent

Chronological and Background Charts of Church History, Revised Edition (Robert C. Walton) - I have this in print and it's excellent

Essential Guide to Bible Versions (Philip W. Comfort)

Conversion in the New Testament: Paul and the Twelve (Richard Peace)

Lord Teach Us to Pray: Sermons on Prayer (Alexander Whyte) - a classic!!

Bunyan Characters (Alexander Whyte) - a classic!!

Pastoral Letters: Addressed to Several Members of the Church of Bedford (John Bunyan)

The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life in God (Dallas Willard) - yay!!

John Bunyan Illustration Collection

Dore's Woodcuts : With Apocrypha (Gustave Doré) - classic biblical art!!

Lectures on Preaching (Phillips Brooks)

Reading Backwards: Figural Christology and the Fourfold Gospel Witness (Richard B. Hays) - I've been wanting this!!

How to Preach & Teach the Old Testament for All Its Worth (Christopher J. H. Wright)

Decision Making and the Will of God (Garry Friesen) - I have in print; was a life-changing book for me

Bible in Basic English (BBE)

A bunch of Herbert Lockyer's "All the **** in the Bible" series:

All the Divine Names and Titles in the Bible

All the Parables of the Bible

All the Doctrines of the Bible

All the Messianic Prophecies of the Bible

All the Apostles of the Bible

Many more volumes from Carta Jerusalem:

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Old Testament: An Introductory Atlas to the Hebrew Bible

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Lay of the Holy Land: An Introductory Atlas

Understanding the Bible: Understanding Biblical Archaeology: An Introductory Atlas

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Geography of the Bible: An Introductory Atlas

Understanding the Bible: Understanding Great People of the Bible: An Introductory Atlas to Biblical Biography

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Twelve Tribes: Boundaries & Surrounding Nations

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Boat from the Time of Jesus: Galilean Seafaring

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Ecology of the Bible: An Introductory Atlas

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the New Testament: An Introductory Atlas

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Gospels as Ancient Jewish Literature

Understanding the Bible: Understanding Hezekiah of Judah: Rebel King and Reformer

Understanding the Bible: Understanding Jewish Ceremonial: Rites - Paraphernalia - Blessings

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Life of Jesus: An Introductory Atlas

Understanding the Bible: Understanding Biblical Kingdoms & Empires: An Introductory Atlas & Comparative View

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Creation: In the Beginning . . .

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Israelite-Samaritans: From Ancient to Modern

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Jewish World from Roman to Byzantine Times: Mishnah - Talmud - The Sages: An Introductory Atlas

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Maccabean Revolt, 167 to 63 BCE: An Introductory Atlas

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Holy Temple of the Old Testament: From the Tabernacle to Solomon's Temple & Beyond

Understanding the Bible: Understanding the Holy Temple Jesus Knew: The Background to Key Gospel Events

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 8:02 PM

Thanks, Rosie. Lots of good stuff here.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 711
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 8:06 PM

Thank you, Rosie!

Posts 1706
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 9:37 PM

Rosie Perera:
In the last day or two, hundreds of new books just showed up in Pre-pub. I think they're mostly from the Wordsearch acquisition. I've paged through all of them and found some gems, including a few that I had requested of Logos in the past.

Thanks, Rosie. Place a pre-order.

Posts 772
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 10:54 PM

Thank you Rosie for collating this Yes

Posts 1649
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 12:06 AM

A little over 37 pages (with 60 books per page) of new books!!

Posts 1327
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 12:36 AM

Rosie Perera:

This is an important work I'm glad to see making it into the Logos catalogue.

As far as I can tell, this is the first and only title from Orbis Books in the catalogue. They have a lot of works significant for academic study of theology. I hope more are to come.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 1:00 AM

Sean:
As far as I can tell, this is the first and only title from Orbis Books in the catalogue. They have a lot of works significant for academic study of theology. I hope more are to come.

Agreed. Orbis is an important publisher of Christian books. If you do a Google search for Orbis on the forums (orbis site:community.logos.com),  you'll see that lots of people have requested various books from Orbis. I hope Faithlife develops a relationship with Orbis and gets more.

Posts 514
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 5:40 AM

It would make things a lot easier if Logos offered a Carta package

Posts 826
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 6:38 AM

Rosie Perera:

Logos should develop a Liberal/Liberation/Woke base package.

JRS has left the building.

Posts 1563
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 7:27 AM

Also, Alister McGrath, Reformation Thought: An Introduction!

https://www.logos.com/product/201115/reformation-thought-4th-edition-an-introduction 

I've been asking for more Alister McGrath, particularly his history and science/religion works. 

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/179204.aspx 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2198
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 7:40 AM

Great list.  Thanks, Rosie

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 6:58 PM

Ben:

Also, Alister McGrath, Reformation Thought: An Introduction!

https://www.logos.com/product/201115/reformation-thought-4th-edition-an-introduction 

Thanks! I'd overlooked that one. Just ordered.

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 6:59 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

They do offer one with 13 volumes in it, but it doesn't include these latest additions.

https://www.logos.com/product/191819/carta-jerusalem-bible-reference-collection

Posts 364
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 7:22 PM

Thanks, Rosie! I had missed some of the Carta additions!

Posts 3140
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 7:27 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

I agree with this assertion. I would add this bundle should offer a price break. Thanks Rosie! NOAB yippee!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 364
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 7:29 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

Yes  This would indeed be great if they would have another Carta package to include these new additions!

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 8:07 PM

JRS:

Rosie Perera:

Logos should develop a Liberal/Liberation/Woke base package.

I do agree that a Liberal/Progressive base package would be a good idea and would have takers, though I wouldn't include the word "woke" in its title as that can be sometimes used to ridicule the movement. Liberation Theology is only one facet of Liberal readers' interests. They're also interested in the social gospel, social/racial justice, feminism/egalitarianism, gender studies, LGBTQ+ studies, indigenous theologies, rethinking the literalism of Scripture, etc. There would need to be liberal/mainline reference materials like Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, liberal/mainline commentaries (e.g., Anchor Yale Bible Commentary, New Interpreter's Bible, Hermeneia), books by some of the more liberal theologians, preachers, and biblical interpreters, e.g., Friedrich Schleiermacher, Rudolf Bultmann (Faithlife doesn't have much by him, only one volume of Hermeneia), Albrecht Ritschl, Adolf von Harnack, Henry Ward Beecher, Walter Rauschenbusch, Harry Emerson Fosdick, Paul Tillich, John A.T. Robinson, John Hick, William Sloane Coffin. As for Liberal Catholics, would want to include Hans Küng, Gustavo Gutiérrez, Joan Chittister, Leonardo Boff (Liberation theology), Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, Sallie McFague, Allyson Jule. And hey, why not even some of the ones that evangelicals truly think are heretical, whom even I as a progressive evangelical sometimes find it hard to swallow, such as John Shelby Spong, Marcus Borg, John Dominic Crossan, Bart D. Ehrman. And then there's the whole realm of neo-orthodox/progressive/universalist/neo-anabaptist/emergent/post-evangelical authors, such as Karl Barth, Reinhold Niebuhr, H. Richard Niebuhr, Walter Wink, Stanley Hauerwas, Douglas John Hall, Walter Brueggemann, Phyllis Tickle, Phyllis Trible, Rosemary Radford Ruether, Brian McLaren, Brad Jersak, Robin Parry (pseudonym: Gregory MacDonald), Jim Wallis, Tony Campolo, Shane Claiborne, Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, Bruxy Cavey, Ron Sider, John Howard Yoder, Stuart Murray, Gregory Boyd, Scot McKnight, Rob Bell, Rachel Held Evans, Sarah Bessey; and Catholic authors who stretch the boundaries of Catholic orthodoxy, such as Richard Rohr. Probably also of interest would be existentialists and early higher criticism proponents (form criticism, history of religions, etc.), critical theory, historical Jesus quest/Jesus Seminar, the New Perspective on Paul, and assorted others: Martin Heidegger,
Søren Kierkegaard, Baruch Spinoza, Ludwig Feuerbach, Albert Eichhorn, Johann Gottfried Eichhorn, F. C. Baur, Julius Wellhausen, Hermann Gunkel, Martin Noth, Gerhard von Rad, Ernst Troeltsch, William Wrede, Rudolf Otto, James Muilenburg, Jürgen Habermas, Albert Schweitzer, Krister Stendahl, E.P. Sanders, J. A. Fitzmyer, James Dunn, N.T. Wright.

[EDIT: Another category to include would be the Unitarians and Transcendentalists, e.g., William Ellery Channing, Theodore Parker; I don't know of others that were theologians/pastors per se who published works or sermons, but Ralph Waldo Emerson was among their number (an essayist/philosopher/poet, and the son of a Unitarian minister).]

I'm probably missing plenty, and probably conflating many areas that wouldn't necessarily all belong in one base package, and there might even be contradictory views among some of these authors. But they'd all be of interest to stretch one's thinking, that's for sure. If nothing else to be able to refute them better if you wanted to, by reading their own words, not caricatures of them written by others.

Posts 3140
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 8:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
Reinhold Niebuhr
Speaking of Reinhold he has a few titles in prepub that are receiving little attention. One I'd like to spotlight is The Nature and Destiny of Man. I'd like to see this in production tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 132
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2020 7:23 AM

Rosie Perera:

I do agree that a Liberal/Progressive base package would be a good idea and would have takers

Yes

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS