Apple Silicon M1 Chip

Page 1 of 4 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 61 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 263
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2020 11:27 AM

So, I wonder how well Logos9 will run on a Mac Mini with the new Apple Silicon M1 chip?

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Thanks

Posts 2720
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2020 11:33 AM

If it is running on Rosetta, I am sure it will work. Nothing about native so far as I have heard.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5326
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2020 12:53 PM

mab:

If it is running on Rosetta, I am sure it will work. Nothing about native so far as I have heard.

I wonder how well the Logos App will run on the Apple Silicon.

There must be a question as to whether is would be 'better' to move the desktop to native or develop the mobile app for the desktop?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2020 3:21 PM

Mike Binks:
There must be a question as to whether is would be 'better' to move the desktop to native or develop the mobile app for the desktop?

Given the choice, I'd resort to using the web app on the desktop, rather than the mobile app.

I wouldn't mind if the desktop wasn't native to start, providing that resources didn't take longer to load, and smooth scrolling wasn't impacted.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 477
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2020 5:00 PM

Mike Binks:

I wonder how well the Logos App will run on the Apple Silicon.

Apple claims that Intel apps will run faster on M1 with Rosetta 2 than natively on Intel. I confess that I am sorely tempted to pick up a MacBook Air (which has always been grossly underpowered for my needs/desires). 

Posts 477
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2020 5:04 PM

OK, so I took the bait and order a MacBook Air. It's set to deliver in a couple of weeks. I'll get Logos and Proclaim installed, and report. 

Posts 69
Karl Fritz Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2020 6:03 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

OK, so I took the bait and order a MacBook Air. It's set to deliver in a couple of weeks. I'll get Logos and Proclaim installed, and report. 

Yes!

Posts 263
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2020 6:55 PM

Yes

Posts 219
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2020 10:18 PM

With trading in my old MacBook and using my education discount, I can get the new air for $12 a month for 12 months at 0% interest. I’m not sure how long I can refrain from clicking purchase

Posts 29494
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 3:17 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
Apple claims that Intel apps will run faster on M1 with Rosetta 2 than natively on Intel.

I just watched the video last night. They did not say such. They said SOME intel apps run faster. 

Anyone who is interested in a new Mac for Logos purposes would be well advised to wait for official pronouncements from FL. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 477
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 5:28 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

The delivery date is November 17-18. I'll get Logos and Proclaim installed the same day, and report back. 

Posts 477
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 5:30 AM

Apple has a pretty good return policy in the first couple of weeks (check the details). Since delivery is out a couple of weeks anyway, if you ordered now you'd get your place in line, and be able to return it if it doesn't meet your needs. 

Posts 733
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 5:32 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

Apple has a pretty good return policy in the first couple of weeks (check the details). Since delivery is out a couple of weeks anyway, if you ordered now you'd get your place in line, and be able to return it if it doesn't meet your needs. 

Apple is currently under the Holiday Return Policy. Machines ordered in the Apple Online Store can be returned up to January 8, 2021. See more details here. That should leave plenty of time to test these out before having to rush to send it back if they do not meet expectations.

Posts 2796
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 5:35 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

Gregory Lawhorn:

The delivery date is November 17-18. I'll get Logos and Proclaim installed the same day, and report back. 

Someone has reported problems with 11 gen intel chip PC.  Please also try several other programs in addition to Logos.  We need to know if any problems are generic to M1 or Logos only.  Thanks.  [[And enjoy your new "toy"]]

Posts 733
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 5:45 AM

David Ames:

Gregory Lawhorn:

Gregory Lawhorn:

Someone has reported problems with 11 gen intel chip PC.  Please also try several other programs in addition to Logos.  We need to know if any problems are generic to M1 or Logos only.  Thanks.  [[And enjoy your new "toy"]]

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but the new Apple machines do not have Intel chips - they are custom made ARM chips produced by Apple.

Posts 1557
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 5:49 AM

Apple made some bold claims about performance... and Anandtech (a deep tech site) says "Apple’s claim of having the fastest CPU core in the world seems extremely plausible."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16226/apple-silicon-m1-a14-deep-dive 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2796
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 5:53 AM

You misunderstood.  The new intel chip in PCs is an 11 gen intel not used in Apple machines.  The new Apple M1 chip is not used in PCs.

Both new chips, one in Macs and one in PC, have both just been released.  There is a report of the PC 11 gen might have a problem in a PC only.  

I just am asking that any reports of problems with Logos on the new chips be reported by customers that have also checked out other non FL programs.  That is: is the problem with Logos or is the problem with the new chips?  

[Sorry that I did not better explain the first time]

Posts 477
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 6:06 AM

David Ames:

I read the Intel 11th gen. post; I'm really interested to see how well Logos/Proclaim run on the M1. 

Logos and Proclaim will be my priority, but I'll also check out Word and Excel, Scrivener, Photoshop, BBEdit, FileMaker Pro 18, Keyboard Maestro, OBS, Notability, OmniOutliner, and perhaps some others; those are my most commonly used apps.

Posts 2796
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 6:16 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

I read the Intel 11th gen. post; I'm really interested to see how well Logos/Proclaim run on the M1. 

Logos and Proclaim will be my priority, but I'll also check out Word and Excel, Scrivener, Photoshop, BBEdit, FileMaker Pro 18, Keyboard Maestro, OBS, Notability, OmniOutliner, and perhaps some others; those are my most commonly used apps.

Sorry for putting you [and the others] though so much work but we need to know if it is the chip or the programs. 

Posts 20
Dion Houston Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2020 6:18 AM

I would love to hear an official reply on this!

Technically, unless it's changed, Logos is a C# app sitting on top of Mono on the Mac.  Mono supports ARM (https://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/supported-platforms/arm/) so it seems technically feasible to have a native version for the M1.

The real question, is FL actually doing it? :)

I need Logos for my seminary studies - fortunately I have both a PC and an Intel mac in case it doesn't perform well on my probable future Mac mini :) But "Yes we're making an ARM version" would make the decision easier! 

Page 1 of 4 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS