Suggestion: Legacy Standard Bible

Page 5 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 103 Replies | 17 Followers

Posts 11
Jim King | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2022 5:07 PM

Hello Kiyah, May I please ask where I can go and download that software to use on my laptop?

Posts 11
Jim King | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2022 5:07 PM

Hello Kiyah, May I please ask where I can go and download that software to use on my laptop?

Posts 1540
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2022 5:26 PM

Jim King:

Although the bible is free, the competitor's (MacOS/Windows) software is not. I'm trying not to violate Forum guidelines by promoting a competitor's non-free product. You'd have to buy their bible software and then "purchase" their free version of the LSB in order to be able to use it on your laptop.

Posts 11
Jim King | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2022 5:29 PM

Yes, I understand. I would not be looking to purchase additional software. Just trying get the LSB (eventually with macarthur study bible commentary).  Thank you! 

Posts 5083
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2022 6:03 PM

You can read it online for free.  Also I believe there is a free lite version to download

Posts 5083
Posts 5503
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2022 6:37 PM

I frankly don't see what advantage there is to the LSB over the NASB95. I like the NASB for its literalness, but the deal-clincher is that it has marginal notes that amp up the literalness even more. For instance, while the NASB and the LSB both have "lights" in Gen. 1:14, the NASB has "luminaries" in the margin, which i much prefer simply because it is more accurate. Why should I switch to a version that is simply less of what I like about the original?

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 1979
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2022 1:55 PM

The LSB I have downloaded on my phone has a footnote on gen 1:14 that reads, “Or luminaries, light-bearers”

Posts 204
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2022 2:20 PM

David Paul:

I frankly don't see what advantage there is to the LSB over the NASB95. I like the NASB for its literalness, but the deal-clincher is that it has marginal notes that amp up the literalness even more. For instance, while the NASB and the LSB both have "lights" in Gen. 1:14, the NASB has "luminaries" in the margin, which i much prefer simply because it is more accurate. Why should I switch to a version that is simply less of what I like about the original?

If you run a visual filter on the NASB95 that turns doulos into slave and YHWH into Yahweh, you have the LSB without spending any additional money. :) 

Posts 204
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2022 2:20 PM

David Paul:

If you run a visual filter on the NASB95 that turns doulos into slave and YHWH into Yahweh, you have the LSB without spending any additional money. :) 

Posts 7
Daniel Welch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2022 2:51 PM

You should watch the videos discussing the translation philosophy of the LSB on their website.  One translation priority is to make the original language apparent in the translation by using the same word to translate it if doing so can preseve the meaning. This is why light not luminaries. If you don’t like this approach, fine. But don’t falsely claim it is a bad translation choice while ignoring the reasons for it. This is disingenuous 

Posts 7

You should watch the videos discussing the translation philosophy of the LSB on their website.  One translation priority is to make the original language apparent in the translation by using the same word to translate it if doing so can preseve the meaning. This is why light not luminaries. If you don’t like this approach, fine. But don’t falsely claim it is a bad translation choice while ignoring the reasons for it. This is disingenuous 

Posts 7

Posts 20
Patrick Lacson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2022 11:49 PM

Hello - so what is the final word.  Not here to debate LSB vs NASB but will it be offered on Logos any time soon?  Thanks!

Posts 24
Jeremy Hulsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 2:51 PM

The LSB is available for pre-order!

Legacy Standard Bible (LSB) | Logos Bible Software

Posts 69
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 3:02 PM

Finally! Just submitted my order!

Posts 3514
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 3:10 PM

Just submitted mine as well.

Posts 11
Jim King | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 3:41 PM