I have a wild a crazy idea!

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 432
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 4:30 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

You forgot the third option: post vague complaints that "it doesn't work" then disappear Wink

Ah, how I wish I had saved screenshots of all those error windows … I'm glad it's working, but the general sense around the forums is that you don't search the forums directly, you use Google instead: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/192620/1131482.aspx#1131482. I'm glad that it's working now; let's not pretend that it always works, or even usually works, and comment about those who complain and disappear. 

Posts 5171
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 4:37 AM

You forgot the third option: post vague complaints that "it doesn't work" then disappear Wink

I think we need to worried about ourselves if folk start disappearing!

I think there is some warning about those who are left behind.

I bet we could search for it using Logos (it anyone, other than a sorcerer, could operate the search)

I reckon its somewhere towards the end of the bible.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 9029
LogosEmployee

Gregory Lawhorn:
let's not pretend that it always works, or even usually works

I'm not pretending; I'm asserting that a bug that stopped it working has been fixed (you linked to my post), and that it does always work now.

Gregory Lawhorn:
comment about those who complain and disappear

I apologise for my tongue-in-cheek remark that was rude towards other forum members.

Posts 9029
LogosEmployee

Gregory Lawhorn:
let's not pretend that it always works, or even usually works

I'm not pretending; I'm asserting that a bug that stopped it working has been fixed (you linked to my post), and that it does always work now.

Gregory Lawhorn:
comment about those who complain and disappear

I apologise for my tongue-in-cheek remark that was rude towards other forum members.

Posts 1814
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 8:47 AM

JT (alabama24):
Yes. use The box to default to do a google search. 

I agree with JT that it would be good if the search in the forums defaulted to Google. Yes, Bradly is correct that the search bug has been fixed (thank you!) but I highly doubt that Faithlife would want to spend time fixing the accuracy of the forum search. In my experience, Google has always been much quicker to find what I am actually looking for.

In my example, I wanted to find a post where I reported a bug almost two years ago. I searched for: bug fuzzy search scroll bar. There were no quotation marks because I couldn't remember exactly how it was worded.

After typing that in the forums search, I quit looking after 7 pages of results. In Google, it was the third choice on the first page. I gave up on the forums search because my searches very seldom came back without me having to look at page after page of results before giving up. For me, I now always default to Google.

Posts 9029
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 10:14 AM

Rick:
After typing that in the forums search, I quit looking after 7 pages of results. In Google, it was the third choice on the first page.

The forums default to searching by "Newest". If you change that to "Relevance" (and click "Search" again), the top two results are probably what you were looking for:

(A relevance search would be the better default; I don't think anyone expects newer posts to be ranked to the top by default.)

Posts 1814
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 10:52 AM

If you change that to "Relevance" (and click "Search" again), the top two results are probably what you were looking for:

Thanks Bradley. I learned something today. Smile

It is much more accurate by relevance. An "RE:" of my post showed up on page 3 this time. Dave reported the same bug as I did a few days later and his post showed up on the first page. His must have fit the query more accurately. Thanks again for your patience as I learn these things.

Posts 432
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 4:54 PM

I really am glad it's working now; it obviously makes the forums far more useful. I was so used to the search failing that it's been a fair amount of time since I've tried to use it. 

Posts 9029
LogosEmployee

A relevance search would be the better default; I don't think anyone expects newer posts to be ranked to the top by default.

Relevance should now be the default sort when searching the forums.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2020 7:01 PM

Relevance should now be the default sort when searching the forums.

Thanks, Bradley, that's a time-saver!

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 1814
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 4:04 AM

Bradley, another thank you. Making relevance the default will make it simpler. I probably would have never noticed the setting if you hadn’t pointed it out.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS