Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 3621
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 16 2020 12:27 PM

The Logos Desktop Team has tested Logos 9 and Logos 8 on macOS 11 "Big Sur." So far we discovered some minor styling issues (see below), but have not encountered any major issues.

Known Issue: Table of Contents arrows are duplicated.

Posts 227
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 6:13 AM

My M1 MacBook Air should arrive today. Can't wait to see how it goes... 

Posts 2
Matthew Emge | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 8:50 AM

Tony Walker:

Keep me updated! My purchase hinges on Logos capabilities. 

Posts 2748
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 9:18 AM

Tony Walker:

Great. Looking forward to hearing about Logos on it. I consider Logos 9 my early Christmas present, but a new Mac has been on my delayed wishlist for some time.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1563
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 9:19 AM

The reviews are pretty crazy. Crazy good, that is. 
https://gizmodo.com/the-macbook-air-was-a-fine-laptop-but-apples-m1-chip-m-1845671122 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 7
Ben Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 11:29 AM

I'm on a new M1 MB Air currently. Just downloaded Logos and it won't open. I'll update as I can troubleshoot further. 

Posts 7
Ben Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 11:33 AM

Hold tight, waiting for install Rosetta to install, duh :)

Posts 2
Matthew Emge | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 2:04 PM

Ben Hughes:

Hold tight, waiting for install Rosetta to install, duh :)

I am assuming you are enjoying the experience so much you forgot to update us?! :)

Posts 1563
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 2:29 PM

More. ArsTechnica can get fairly technical. They've been looking at the M1, and say "If Apple's M1 isn't the fastest single-thread—and quad-thread—consumer-available processor on the planet, it certainly isn't missing it by much."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/hands-on-with-the-apple-m1-a-seriously-fast-x86-competitor/

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2748
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 3:40 PM

I realize that the new chip probably won't do anything much to help rev up indexing, but I would love to find out it does.Geeked 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 452
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2020 5:19 PM

On the other hand, if you don't need all the speed of the M1, you can get some good deals on Intel Macs these days!  For example, Apple has some great prices on refurbished early 2020 MacBook Airs.  

I'm running Verbum 9 on one of those Airs with Big Sur and an i3 (yes, an i3) chip, and I'm satisfied with the performance. Even on the i3, Big Sur feels a little quicker than Catalina.  

Sure, I'm curious about the M1, but I thought I'd toss in a different angle, just because!  

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 10:31 AM

Actually, it probably will. It has higher memory bandwidth and much faster storage than anything else out there. Those are critical for indexing.

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 10:39 AM

Martin Diers:

Actually, it probably will. It has higher memory bandwidth and much faster storage than anything else out there. Those are critical for indexing.

I am doing a fresh install in an M1 Mini right now. Currently downloading my library of some 7000 resources. I will time how long indexing takes, and update later.

Posts 514
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 11:05 AM

mab:

I realize that the new chip probably won't do anything much to help rev up indexing, but I would love to find out it does.Geeked 

I'm afraid not, but that's probably because the chip throttles down to keep heat under control. An iMac or MacBook Pro with fans might index much faster.

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 11:44 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

mab:

I'm afraid not, but that's probably because the chip throttles down to keep heat under control. An iMac or MacBook Pro with fans might index much faster.

No throttling here on my Mac Mini. Currently 20% into a full indexing of 6,700 resources. 25 minutes in.

Throttling really only applies to the new Air which is fanless.

Posts 514
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 1:04 PM

Martin Diers:

No throttling here on my Mac Mini. Currently 20% into a full indexing of 6,700 resources. 25 minutes in.

Throttling really only applies to the new Air which is fanless.

What is the CPU for Logos in Activity Monitor during indexing?

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 1:18 PM

Peaking at over 400%

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 1:19 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

mab:

Total time to index was about 1.5 hours.

Posts 234
Pater Noster | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 4:52 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

Actually some pretty serious stress tests by reviewers showed no throttling at all.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS