CNTTS Question Regarding Manuscripts

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 9008
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 12:37 PM

I got the 2021 update for $29 bucks with the competition! I wonder why Logos is not offering this as an update to the previous version, but instead they are offering it as a separate resource: https://www.logos.com/product/215259/center-for-new-testament-textual-studies-new-testament-critical-apparatus 

DAL

Posts 1058
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 1:28 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid that's priced out of my tax bracket! I hadn't been tracking its updates in a while.

Posts 9008
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 1:40 PM

I got mine for $49 on a sale and then just paid $29 to get it updated.  I guess contracts are more complicated with FL and publishers.

DAL

Posts 1271
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 3:09 PM

Thank you, DAL. I went ahead and signed up for the Logos version.  I'm absolutely confident there's an $86 pony in there somewhere!  More seriously, 'normally' when Logos does a 'whole new edition', there's something in the old someone would want.  I wonder what that could be. Maybe an old pony!

And while I was trying to read the product page (which goes to tremendous lengths to say very little), the popup kept getting in the way .... 50% off a bunch of the older expansions.  That worked out pretty well too ... just a DSS group paid the bill for several expansions.

Posts 397
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 3:53 AM

I’m confused—is the ”older” one still worth getting?  Or should I wait for the new one?  

Problem with that is I have no clue how long “in production” status might last, but my understanding is that it’s usually quite a while (?).

Have been salivating over this for several years now though. 

Posts 9008
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 6:09 AM

Puddin’:

I’m confused—is the ”older” one still worth getting?  Or should I wait for the new one?  

Problem with that is I have no clue how long “in production” status might last, but my understanding is that it’s usually quite a while (?).

IMHO the old one is not worth getting anymore. The new one has everything they promised to add to the old one; so they should take the old one down.

DAL

Posts 397
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 3:06 AM

DAL:

Puddin’:

IMHO the old one is not worth getting anymore. The new one has everything they promised to add to the old one; so they should take the old one down.

DAL

Agreed——precisely my thoughts.  

I remember back when I first started dabbling in Greek I bought Bauer’s 2nd lexicon (BAGD) thinking that I now had the grail of all lexicons——until I realized that BDAG (3rd ed.) was actually the latest release.....& it (BDAG) cost a little more than the $20 that I had just spent on BAGD 😡 (similar scenario happened w. NA27 & NA28)!  Or, at the same time-period when I bought “Robertson’s Word Pictures” for about $10 on eBay——and then I realized that it was the abridged version (after I had bragged to all my friends about my tremendous heists [thank God they didn’t know any better either]🥴).  Ahhh yes—the omniscience of the first semester Greek student🚶‍♂️!

If anyone can give an approximation regarding how long “in production” typically lasts until product is released I would be much obliged.

My suspicion is that each product is individualized according to volume, etc. (?).

Posts 1733
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 4:53 AM

Puddin’:
If anyone can give an approximation regarding how long “in production” typically lasts until product is released I would be much obliged.

My guess is it may not take many months. This is a natively digital resource and thus FL can just automatically modify some tagging once they can grab someone to do it.

Logos could add much value by producing a good visual filter - my experience with the old version is that it needs a detective story enthusiast to dig the correct information from the current user interface.

It would be even better if we could have a user interface that reconstructs the text in different versions in parallel view and shows the differences in the texts with color, bold etc. This would be the best possible use of the capabilities of a computer, and could give a competitive edge to Logos. Cool

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 9008
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 6:46 AM

Well, “In production” for this particular resource might be (I would hope so) by the summer since this one skipped “gathering interest” and went straight to “production.” That’s just my guesstimate.

DAL

Posts 1733
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2022 11:02 PM

On 4th of February I said

Veli Voipio:
My guess is it may not take many months.

Will come on 4th of March https://www.logos.com/account/prepubs 

In this rare occasion I was right Smile

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS