SUGGESTION: Marx & Engels "On Religion"

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 17 2020 5:28 PM

Important work for understanding the origin of Marxist atheism to be able to critique it. It is referenced hundreds of times in my Logos library.

Vote here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/on-religion

Posts 347
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 5:30 AM

Once there, how do I vote??

Posts 5656
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 6:56 AM

Rosie Perera:

Important work for understanding the origin of Marxist atheism to be able to critique it. It is referenced hundreds of times in my Logos library.

Vote here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/on-religion

The same could be said about anything written by Bart Erhman, but FL has shown no interest or willingness to add his material to the stable...in fact, they've deliberately avoided it.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 12635
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 7:14 AM

David Paul:
written by Bart Erhman, but FL has shown no interest or willingness to add his material to the stable...in fact, they've deliberately avoided it.

Not true: two works came with the WordSearch transaction and are available pretty cheap: https://www.logos.com/search?query=ehrman&sortBy=PriceLow&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe - not my cup of tea, but get them if you want.

Looking at the publisher, HarperOne, makes it clear why those were not available earlier. The only other thing from Harper (the very difficult publishing giant who makes it impossible for me to buy eBooks published by their imprints Zondervan, Thomas Nelson etc) you'll find in the Logos store is the large (ridiculously expensive and glaringly incomplete) CS Lewis bundle - and that must have taken decades of negotiation.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 7:30 AM

NB.Mick:
Not true: two works came with the WordSearch transaction and are available pretty cheap

Sigh. Why didn't WS get the Apocryphal Gospels volume (the scholarly side of Bart ... not meant to imply his other volumes aren't scholarly).

I see Simon and Schuster just joined the band. 

Ok ... we've strayed from Mr Marx.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5656
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 9:56 AM

NB.Mick:

David Paul:
written by Bart Erhman, but FL has shown no interest or willingness to add his material to the stable...in fact, they've deliberately avoided it.

Not true:

Pardon, but when two books literally conceived and marketed by the publisher AS A SET are split so that one gets published by Logos years ago and the other doesn't, what accounts for that?

These two books, Ehrman's and Bird's (et al.), even have artwork that appears to be by the same artist, with one literally referred to as "a response book" to the other. But only one, the "NOT Ehrman" title, made it into Logos.

Maybe you know why appearances aren't what they seem. If so, please, do tell. But this...

NB.Mick:
two works came with the WordSearch transaction and are available pretty cheap:

...doesn't actually quell my concern, since FL wasn't going to scuttle the WS acquisition due to the fact that the newly purchased stable had a couple of Bart titles. WS customers owned these books and so FL was obliged to make them available in Logos. I'm glad that the book Ehrman wrote in the HarperOne set is now available in Logos, since now the Bird book that's been available for years has the integrity of context. But excuse me for doubting that these new offerings are due to the fact that FL has "seen the light". They simply were forced to swallow hard and accept something they've successfully dodged for years. Hopefully this small breach in the dam will lead to capitulation. I mostly disagree with Bart's views, but he has always had solid points about things that Christians have long preferred to deal with by sticking their heads in the sand. That's a really lousy way to "win" an argument.

If it isn't clear, I support making the Marx/Engels book available in Logos.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 10:12 AM

Ok, apologies to Rosie. And maybe this pops the thread back for more Marx-votes (rationalizing).

But I don't begrudge FL for not selling what they don't want to (or can't). But if it's the former, and they happily sell fake-YHWH books (along with fake-Israel books, not to be outdone), you get the feeling we're dealing with an apostate that recently snuck into the tent.

Personally, I like Ehrman and contribute to his blog/charity. I like him in the same fashion I like Kirsopp Lake ... he puts stuff on the table you'd never know otherwise, except from your smirking non-Christian friends. Better to know the points.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 12635
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 10:20 AM

David Paul:

NB.Mick:

David Paul:

Not true:

Pardon, but when two books literally conceived and marketed by the publisher AS A SET are split so that one gets published by Logos and the other doesn't, what accounts for that?

These two books, Ehrman's and Bird's (et al.), even have artwork that appears to be by the same artist, with one literally referred to as "a response book" to the other. But only one, the "NOT Ehrman" title, made it into Logos.

Maybe you know why appearances aren't what they seem. If so, please, do tell.

look at the publisher entry in you Amazon links. They may or may not be conceived as a set (I actually don't think so, I'd assume Ehrman was first and Bird reacted, and someone thought it a good idea to mimick the cover artwork to express this point. Anyway.), but still the Ehrman book is published by HarperOne and the Bird book is published by Zondervan. While both publishers belong to HarperCollins group, only Zondervan has an established publishing relationship with Faithlife. 

My point simply is this: FL sells books. In order to stay in business, and to cover the production cost investment for Logos editions, they need to sell books in sizable numbers. Regardless of the book being controversial or not, this is he background. But controversial books tend to sell better than others (and I don't expect users to "go Dracula" on FL for selling Ehrman books, as your reasoning for having it in Logos to be able to objectively research his actual content is sound). But - and this is a large but - they can only sell what publishers allow. Your idea would have merit if Ehrman was published by one of the publishers that are a stable part of the Logos catalog.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 5656
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 11:26 AM

Years ago, when this Ehrman-no/Bird-yes issue first reared its head, I found a website that said the the idea for the response book was floated by the publisher even before the Ehrman book went to print, perhaps even before he had submitted his draft. I even posted that info in a then-current forum thread, although I can't remember if it was a web link, a screen shot, or just what that I included in my post. Point is...from the publisher's perspective, these books were a pair. The were published very close to one another, which probably meant that the counter-argument authors received a pre-published treatment or draft. That shouldn't be surprising--ever since Bart molted and became a black swan, writing books from the anti-Ehrman perspective has been a dependable cottage industry for wannabe apologists looking for easy money and a warrior label. Bart cranks out a book, a dozen responses get published within a few months. Harper decided to cut to the chase and COMMISSIONED the response book as soon as Bart floated the idea for his next book to the publisher. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but my point is THE PUBLISHER conceived of the two books as a set from the outset. I have a very hard time believing that having done so, they all the sudden got persnickety about who, when, how, and where the book of their golden goose was being sold. The whole point of having a golden goose is getting the gold. If Logos wanted Bart's book, it would have been available.

Posts 5656
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 12:02 PM

Denise:
Personally, I like Ehrman and contribute to his blog/charity. I like him in the same fashion I like Kirsopp Lake ... he puts stuff on the table you'd never know otherwise, except from your smirking non-Christian friends. Better to know the points.

This is certainly one consideration...not getting caught off-guard by one's own willful ignorance. I'm reminded of pretentious Christians on YouTube with their cookie cutter theology presuming to walk into the lion's den of Jerusalem and confronting recalcitrant rabbis, only to have the rabbi quip out two or three questions or statements that leave the Christian commando flat-footed and stammering cluelessly. Sun Tzu: know thy enemy.

It's always worth a wry chuckle how dependably Christians assume the Bible's phraseology can literally be taken for granted. The Bible says, "we are not ignorant of his devices," and when this is enunciated you are immediately bombarded with a chorus of amens! "Ah," someone may ask, "so what are his devices?" Mostly what you will get in reply is blank stares. It's frightening how dependably Bible readers assume that generic pronouns automatically include THEM. The assumption is that every positively-perceived pronoun-tied statement can be confidently appropriated simply by liking-and-wanting it, any clearly expressed contingencies be damned. But, just reading the words "we are not ignorant" in the Bible CANNOT MAKE YOU "NOT IGNORANT." One must actually become FAMILIAR with the enemy to be able to counter the enemy.

Posts 19707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 12:27 PM

scooter:

Once there, how do I vote??

Click on the up-arrow (up caret) to the left of the title. You have to be logged into the site to do it. Your normal Logos login should work.

Posts 9205
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2020 12:28 PM

David Paul:
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but my point is THE PUBLISHER conceived of the two books as a set from the outset. I have a very hard time believing that having done so, they all the sudden got persnickety about who, when, how, and where the book of their golden goose was being sold.

"THE PUBLISHER" is not a monolithic entity.

As NB.Mick has already pointed out, there are two publishers: HarperOne and Zondervan Academic.

Contracts and relationships are maintained per-publisher; some are more open to licensing than others. I'll let you draw your own conclusions by examining which (and how many of each) publisher's books we have in our catalogue.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS