Logos is not compatible with Windows Surface Tablets

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9
Marius van der Merwe | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 18 2020 9:10 PM

The Windows Surface Pro is certainly a very popular tablet - practical and state of the art, based on an operating system that is used by more than 90% of all users - hence not a "in the minority" environment.

But - Logos is not compatible with Windows Surface Pro because it cannot do Selection of Text. After many investigations, trials and tests - I came to the conclusion that the problem is on the side of Logos software. The simple and basic proof is that I can get perfect Text Selection with the Kindle reader and other readers on the Windows Surface tablet - but I cannot do Text Selection with Logos Readers. This is not only very sad but also a huge frustration as my tablet has replaced my paper Bible many moons ago.

When can we get a Windows Tablet compatible version of the Logos Software?

Posts 383
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 6:55 AM

I am sorry you are having this difficulty. I have had a Surface Pro 3 for years and have never had this problem. Is your an RT version? That may be the issue.

Jim

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 29034
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 7:01 AM

Marius van der Merwe:
Logos is not compatible with Windows Surface Pro because it cannot do Selection of Text

Do you mean with your finger? If so, Logos is not optimized for touch screens. It should be compatible with a mouse or touch pad. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4832
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 7:08 AM

JT (alabama24):
If so, Logos is not optimized for touch screens.

Although this is planned. Interested persons can vote for this at https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/improve-touch-scrolling-in-resources-on-windows and thereby potentially increase its priority for FL.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 2271
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 7:26 AM

Marius van der Merwe:
Logos is not compatible with Windows Surface Pro

This statement needs clarification! There are issues with Logos in TABLET Mode because the Logos User Interface is not fully touch enabled. I have owned 3 Surface Pro devices (1, 4 & 7) and they have all worked beautifully when not in TABLET mode.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3139
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 7:30 AM

I have surface pro. I don't have problem.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 9
Marius van der Merwe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 8:14 PM

Yes, it is with the finger - it is a tablet and normally don't use a mouse or pen.

It can't do text selection in any mode either tablet or desktop mode. As I've said - text selection with a finger works perfectly fine in the Kindle reader.

Posts 9
Marius van der Merwe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 8:18 PM

You Logos is not optimized for touch screens, but it works fine on my old Android tablet as well as my Android phone?

Posts 890
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 8:30 PM

Marius van der Merwe:

You Logos is not optimized for touch screens, but it works fine on my old Android tablet as well as my Android phone?

You are correct that Logos is not optimized for touch screens in the desktop and laptop app -- and that is a known and glaring weakness -- but have you tried using the Surface pen to select text? It works wonderfully.

As I recall when I had my last Surface Pro, although you could not select text with your finger, you could scroll through windows and touch controls with your finger (if they weren't oversized). It is not a perfect experience by far.

As for Logos working on an Android tablet and phone, you are talking about different hardware and a different app altogether. The mobile apps were made to be touch-centric. In fact, they are so touch-centric that a few of us have been harping on Faithlife to add keyboard shortcuts for the Apple Magic Keyboard.

Logos has created its desktop and laptop app to be keyboard and mouse-centric. It has created its mobile apps to be touch-centric. And it appears never the two shall meet.

Posts 9
Marius van der Merwe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 11:51 PM

I actually have the older version Windows Surface - no pen - but I tested it on the latest Windows Surface Pro just to make sure it is not an issue with my hardware.

I suppose I just have to live with it and hope for an upgrade some time in the future.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS