Overwhelming! Not User Friendly

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Mark Jackson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2020 1:17 PM

I have been a WordSearch user for over 20 years. I have tried to understand Logos by experimenting with it, watching online training videos, and asking other users how to use Logos and I have discovered that it is the most difficult Bible software program to use! I tried to use it when Logos first came out and it wasn't user frendly then either. But now, it seems like it is even worse. And I am a very tech saavy guy!

Posts 25130
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 1:19 PM

Hi Mark

Are there specific things you are trying to do that we could advise on?

Graham

Posts 515
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 1:31 PM

Mark Jackson:

I have been a WordSearch user for over 20 years. I have tried to understand Logos by experimenting with it, watching online training videos, and asking other users how to use Logos and I have discovered that it is the most difficult Bible software program to use! I tried to use it when Logos first came out and it wasn't user frendly then either. But now, it seems like it is even worse. And I am a very tech saavy guy!

The forums are one of Logos' best features, so ask away and let guys like Graham help. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Posts 9
Dale DePriest | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 1:50 PM

I have tried to help users that are used to WordSearch by providing some short manual. As I find more I update them. Here are the links.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Logos_Mobile_app

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Logos_web_app

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Logos

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Logos_Desktop

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Faithlife

I also have info on the same wiki on WordSearch Bible

Posts 577
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 8:21 PM

Mark Jackson:

Mark, I understand your frustration, but from the other side: I always felt that it was Wordsearch that wasn't user friendly, having tinkered with it on and off over the past 10 years, while at the same time being a Logos user. After trying to use it several times,  I would lean back and think that the resources in WS were being "held hostage" and needed to be freed by Logos. To my surprise, this finally happened in October. So I wish I could help you see the Logos Bible software I see. Similar to what Graham asked, what is the most important thing you are trying to do with Logos at the moment? There are many on this good forum willing to assist and help you take it a step at a time.

Posts 455
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 8:52 PM

Mark Jackson:

I was a WS to Logos person also and I loved WS. I agree that Logos can be overwhelming if you try to get the picture all at once.  What I did was ask a lot of questions... watch videos and take one thing at a time.  For example, for me, first thing I tackled was how to look things up. What good is information if you can't find it?  So I worked on looking up anything and everything. In Logos there are different ways to do this... so I watched videos about the guides, about searches, about basic study, etc.  I took one thing and tried it different ways. 

When I was WS... I constantly wrote to WS about my "wish list" for WS. After I began to put some things together (and I'm still putting things together) in Logos... I found that many of the things I was wishing for in WS is already in Logos. 

I think if you take one thing at a time like I did... and learn that one thing.... then another... etc... I think you will learn how much more powerful Logos is over WS.  Is Logos "perfect" ... No. Nothing built by man is perfect...Only Jesus Christ did that...  but Logos will serve you well in your study of God's Word and I think that is the purpose of Logos. 

I think also... and I have learned ... that the greatest feature of Logos is the forums. The people that answer the forums are awesome and helpful. I have had every question I have asked (which is many) answered and helpful.    I think you will find this also. And remember.... It did take the Almighty God 6 days to build the earth and the heavens. Learning doesn't happen all at once for people.. 

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 2749
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 9:01 PM

Logos has the capability of putting tons of information in front of you in a matter of seconds. When I do a passage study layout, it's like the whole world about a passage is slapped across the screen. And I customized it to make it even more so. 

But I don't need to look at it all. And I don't. And most of the time neither should you. You don't need to understand Logos either, especially at first. I've been with it for more than a decade and I sure don't.

You use it to help you understand the Bible and that's one verse at a time. Focus on using Logos to do just that. Forget all the junk and stick with the main reason you use it. If you do that and keep using it, the features of Logos will become clear and you won't flounder around so much. I still use Logos in much the same way as I started although I can do a lot more with it now in less time. 

If you want to learn a feature, set some time to do that and try putting it to use. You really don't learn Logos or anything else unless you can put it to regular use. A feature you use every day becomes easy and helpful. A feature you don't use is soon forgotten.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 9:30 PM

Mark Jackson:

I am sure that it must be overwhelming.  But it always is when you switch from one software program to another.  That is true no matter what type of software you are using.  That is why some folks love their Mac and hate windows, while other folks love their windows and hate Mac.  The same is true of word processor programs and Bible programs.

You have to decide that you are not going to be able to make Logos work like WordSearch.  You are going to have to be the one to change how you do things.  I do not say that to be rude, or insulting.  But it is a fact.  Concentrate on the basics, such as searching, etc.  Eventually, it will become more natural.  May the Lord bless you.  

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 9:32 PM

mab:

But I don't need to look at it all. And I don't. And most of the time neither should you. You don't need to understand Logos either, especially at first. I've been with it for more than a decade and I sure don't.

You use it to help you understand the Bible and that's one verse at a time. Focus on using Logos to do just that. Forget all the junk and stick with the main reason you use it. If you do that and keep using it, the features of Logos will become clear and you won't flounder around so much. I still use Logos in much the same way as I started although I can do a lot more with it now in less time. 

That is so true.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 826
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 8:01 AM

I recommend baby steps.

JRS has left the building.

Posts 1190
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 8:23 AM

JRS:

I recommend baby steps.

😂😂😂. Good advice though.

Posts 3
Mark Jackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 9:38 AM

Hi Graham

Thank you for reaching out to me. It has been very frustrating just trying to get a handle on how to use some basic things on Logos. Plus, I have another pastor on our team that is also trying to figure it out and he is a lot younger than me and he can't figure it out either. We have both watched videos, read articles and browsed the internet for information.

Right now it would be nice just to be able to open up all the Bibles in my library at one time and have them stay open so I can look at the various translations in my library. As a I said, I am a long time WS user and when I open WS I have all my Bibles laid out so I can easily read whatever verses or passage I search for and then compare the various translations.

I know it will take time to transition, but Logos is overwhelming and I have many decades of experience dealing with hundreds of different software programs and various kinds of computers and technology.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mark

Posts 25130
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 9:54 AM

Hi Mark

Mark Jackson:
Right now it would be nice just to be able to open up all the Bibles in my library at one time and have them stay open so I can look at the various translations in my library

I can see two parts to this - the first about opening the Bibles you want to have open; the second about ensuring they are open when you want them.

The easy way to open a specific Bible is to use the open command in the command box - something like open nrsv (to gen 1:1)
giving
Sorry - the forum editor is playing up. I'll come back to this shortly!

Posts 25130
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 10:03 AM

Above I showed how to open a specific Bible.

If you want to open a group of Bibles, you can do that from the Library pane.

Here, I have filtered the Library to just show Bibles and have then selected ones I want to open.

This results in this:

You can now drag tabs to where you want them so they are arranged as you like:

So you now have a set of Bibles open in the order you want them.

Two other options were exploring at this point:

1. Linking them together so that each version tracks each other - see https://wiki.logos.com/Linking_Resources for details on how to do this
  2. Saving a Layout so you can get back to the same point whenever you want - see https://wiki.logos.com/Layouts__ for details on this

I'm aware I haven't provided details on how to do all of the above. If any of it doesn't make sense, or you can't see how to do it, please let me know.

Posts 25130
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 10:06 AM

You also mentioned being able to compare different translations.

Clearly, with the layout above, you can do that visually.

But you could also use the Text Comparison Tool to help with that. I've added it into the layout below:

For details on how to use this please see https://wiki.logos.com/Text_Comparison 

Hope this all helps, Graham 

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 12:49 PM

Graham Criddle:

You also mentioned being able to compare different translations.

Clearly, with the layout above, you can do that visually.

But you could also use the Text Comparison Tool to help with that. I've added it into the layout below:

For details on how to use this please see https://wiki.logos.com/Text_Comparison 

Hope this all helps, Graham 

I have found the Text Comparison tool to add a lot of clutter that is hard, for me at least, to navigate through. I prefer to use "Corresponding Words" which will show the same lemma in the other Reverse Interlinear bibles you have open by hovering over, or clicking on a word. You can also compare them with the Greek or Hebrew bible as well at the same time. I just find it easier to compare things one word at a time, then trying to look at a whole verse at once and decipher the differences. Just my preference. I do like Graham's bible layout. 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS