Verbum 9 Loads a lot slower than Verbum 8?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 222
Chris K | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 1 2020 1:55 PM

Hello, I am curious if anyone else is noticing Verbum 9 loading a lot slower than Verbum 8?   I have a pretty large library, but I was always amazed at how fast Verbum 8 was (especially compared to Verbum 7), but now, Verbum 9 seems to be going back to the slow times...has anyone else experienced this?

FYI this is the case on the 3 computers I use Verbum on.  2 of them I did a completely fresh install of Verbum on after 9 came out.  I do have my whole library downloaded (13,891 resources), but it was that way in 8 (minus a few resources).

Posts 5217
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 2:21 PM

Chris K:
I am curious if anyone else is noticing Verbum 9 loading a lot slower than Verbum 8?

Not I.

Posts 32220
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 2:27 PM

Nor I

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 186
TWBeining | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 2:42 PM

Nor I

Posts 744
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:04 PM

If on Windows, for Logos, so presumably for Verbum, the command Set Use Ngen to Yes is supposed to improve performance.

Posts 222
Chris K | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:08 PM

Kevin:

If on Windows, for Logos, so presumably for Verbum, the command Set Use Ngen to Yes is supposed to improve performance.

thx will try that but where is the setting at?

Posts 5217
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:09 PM

It's a command, not a setting.

Posts 744
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:12 PM

You would enter this in the 'Go' box, then select the option from the dropdown, or type it full and click Go, but easier to not make a mistake choosing frrom the dropdown.

You have to restart, and after that initial restart, I think it is supposed to be quicker for subsequent restarts.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/desktop/wpf/advanced/application-startup-time?view=netframeworkdesktop-4.8 has some details on what it does. (Use Ngen.exe)

I assume this is all still valid.

https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_8_Commands has details on that and other commands you can enter in the Go box.

Posts 222
Chris K | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:14 PM

Gotcha thx. Will give it a try.  Any idea what it specifically does?

Posts 744
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:24 PM

"The Native Image Generator (Ngen.exe) is a tool that improves the performance of managed applications. Ngen.exe creates native images, which are files containing compiled processor-specific machine code, and installs them into the native image cache on the local computer. The runtime can use native images from the cache instead of using the just-in-time (JIT) compiler to compile the original assembly."

Posts 222
Chris K | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:29 PM

Awesome thx!

Posts 744
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 3:29 PM

If this does not make a difference the please do post some logs for us to look at, often they reveal where the issue is, such as many collections etc.

https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360027869132-How-to-Enable-and-Submit-Log-Files has details but rather than email them to Faithlife you can attach them here.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS