Unacceptable - Bob Pritchett Please personally oversee getting this resouce fixed with high priority

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 549
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 12:10 AM

Kevin:

It's a public forum, people are going to offer their opinion. You could always email Bob directly (email address at the bottom of this page).

This. 

I’ve emailed Bob before and found him very helpful. 

Carpe verbum.

Posts 4849
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 5:52 AM

Liam Maguire:

Kevin:

It's a public forum, people are going to offer their opinion. You could always email Bob directly (email address at the bottom of this page).

This. 

I’ve emailed Bob before and found him very helpful. 

I personally haven't ever emailed Bob himself, but I've sent private messages via Faithlife.com to various employees of his with good results. Bob's Faithlife profile appears instantly when searching "Bob Pritchett" on Faithlife.com.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 5184
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 9:02 AM

DIsciple II:
I was not asking for feedback on what other people thought. I was asking for action from FL.

I have always understood that the Forums are provided for users to help each other out with how to use the software or which resources might help with a study. For quite long periods we only catch occasional glimpses of passing staff members. Though I do think that headings starting 'Bug' trigger some sort of alarm.

It is true that in certain seasons we do see more of Faithlife staff giving a hand. This is usually after a major release of the engine. This time it is obvious that some are around to help with the transition from Wordsearch.

I have often seen staff sort out specific problems with resources however, I really don't think that the Forums are the place for formal complaints. I also don't think raising formal complaints here is a particularly efficient way to get things sorted out.

I guess that a high proportion of those who drop in, just in case there is somebody struggling with some aspect of their study will feel that they have been label as "The haters on here who hate" and feel not a little offended that they should be so labelled when evidence of their 'hateful' nature is so scant.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 9:47 AM

Mike Binks:
For quite long periods we only catch occasional glimpses of passing staff members.

In the present instance, Bradley almost screwed up, answering on page 1 of the thread. The general guidance is for staff to only intrude by page 3, where the flames are completely reaching across the proverbial Logos coffee-table, threatening a major conflagration.

In this case, a WS resource was involved, but this prompted some 'Strong's' Logosian frowns, as to 'who in their right mind would ...'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2692
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 10:02 AM

FWIW I have emailed Bob and he always got someone to resolve a matter. Interestingly this particular resource wound up getting a revised version sent out in about a day or so. The few resources I had In WS are mostly insignificant but that FL is obviously more diligent about them than I expect them to be. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5531
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 12:20 PM

i have put up with years of aggressive responses from untouchable forum MVP’s who think they are the voice of reason, the final word of authority on these forums. This has condition me to respond in the way I do otherwise these voices of reason they have the right to control and manipulate the dislog into the direction they want it to go.

As for contacting Bob Pritchett or FL directly they put the issues I raise in the too hard basket and ignore them. What I am raising here goes behind this one resource to the whole process that has been adopted, what that process is outputting into peoples libraries and in particular to people completely new to Logos. 

And that is another area I take issue with people opinions given when those opinions are inward looking. it’s all peaches and cream for them so they see no problem. They are showing no consideration to new users of logos who ate trying to get their head around a very different way of doing things, they have no idea of the implications of their favourite WS resources being converted to an eBook in the Logos environment and are trying to watch training videos and not understanding why those favourite resources are not showing up where the videos say they should show up or work with their other books.  I raise these concerns not just for the impact upon we but for all these new users.

The fact that these conversion is ‘free’ does not mean FL should just dump rubbish resources into people’s libraries and say will be fix them some day. Make a little bit of effort to determine for which resources this strategy works and which it doesn’t. When you convert a resource make an effort to take 30 secs to do a visual check of a resource for any visible problems - people would rather wait a little bit longer if it means weeding out those that don’t convert well and end up with scrambled text etc. This is common sense and not difficult if you keep the customer  front of mind.

Posts 5531
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 12:39 PM

And on big issues like contacting FL gets you nowhere, they put it in the too hard basket, that’s not my area of influence basket, we don‘t know, ask on the forums basket etc.  This topic goes much deeper than the one resource and so creating a post that generates discussion is the only option left to draw attention to ones concerns.

Mike Binks:

DIsciple II:
I was not asking for feedback on what other people thought. I was asking for action from FL.

I have always understood that the Forums are provided for users to help each other out with how to use the software or which resources might help with a study. For quite long periods we only catch occasional glimpses of passing staff members. Though I do think that headings starting 'Bug' trigger some sort of alarm.

It is true that in certain seasons we do see more of Faithlife staff giving a hand. This is usually after a major release of the engine. This time it is obvious that some are around to help with the transition from Wordsearch.

I have often seen staff sort out specific problems with resources however, I really don't think that the Forums are the place for formal complaints. I also don't think raising formal complaints here is a particularly efficient way to get things sorted out.

I guess that a high proportion of those who drop in, just in case there is somebody struggling with some aspect of their study will feel that they have been label as "The haters on here who hate" and feel not a little offended that they should be so labelled when evidence of their 'hateful' nature is so scant.

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 1:22 PM

I'm sorry that we released this without more attention, and for your frustration.

In our desire to get all the books over as quickly as possible we're using automation and batch processing first; I don't know that each title is hand checked, since we have thousands to process and most go through relatively smoothly. We will certainly go back and revisit this one.

-- Bob

Posts 5184
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 12:15 AM

DIsciple II:
 i have put up with years of aggressive responses from untouchable forum MVP’s who think they are the voice of reason, the final word of authority on these forums.

Even as a megalomaniac, untouchable, aggressive, and toady of an MVP; I still bristle when any 'Disciple' uses such a broad brush labelling system as 'Haters'.

I may be all those things but I know that some of my compatriots in the Kingdom building team are really kind, thoughtful people who are slowly influencing my change of character by their example.

They do not deserve to be branded so unkindly.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 432
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 5:01 AM

DIsciple II:
And that is another area I take issue with people opinions given when those opinions are inward looking. it’s all peaches and cream for them so they see no problem. They are showing no consideration to new users of logos who ate trying to get their head around a very different way of doing things

I'm not going to try to deal with most of your vitriol, but I will comment on this. Logos IS a very complicated and very powerful program. I came from Accordance, and it took me months to get my head wrapped around using Logos. After more than six years, I'm still learning. The more I learn, the more powerful and useful Logos becomes. Most of my questions have been answered well, usually by members of the forum. There is vast consideration shown to new users in the forums. Learning Logos takes time, but it's worth the effort. No, Logos is not WordSearch. WordSearch couldn't remain in business, while Logos thrives. It would be worth the time to ponder why. 

Insults, blanket accusations, and general pettiness are beneath anyone who claims to be a disciple. They may make you feel better, but they diminish your case. Time to study the fruit of the Spirit and ask whether they are present in every area of your life. 

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 5:49 AM

two things:

1. I am glad to have it now, even with weird formatting (with FL promise of fixing it).
2. If it bothers you this much Disciple, you can always hide it until its finished.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 5:51 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

Insults, blanket accusations, and general pettiness are beneath anyone who claims to be a disciple. They may make you feel better, but they diminish your case. Time to study the fruit of the Spirit and ask whether they are present in every area of your life. 

Does it really make someone feel better? It seems to be one of those poisons you drink yourself, hoping someone else will die.

Agreed with the rest though. At the risk of being told to go to Christian Discourse . com, I am glad Christ has been more patient with me, than I have been with Logos at various points.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 9534
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 6:17 AM

abondservant:
I am glad Christ has been more patient with me, than I have been with Logos at various points.

I appreciate your honest reflection.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 7:00 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
Insults, blanket accusations, and general pettiness are beneath anyone who claims to be a disciple.

I understand what you're saying, and no intent to question. But smilingly, 'the disciples' had Disciple II beat by miles and miles. After the disciples happily got their miracle-working skills in-hand, calling down death and destruction for less than respectful Samaritans was next. I don't remember Jesus chastising them for not being Christ-like, though promising villiage-destruction was a valid Christ-like response. And ear-slicing remained a successful technique as well.

Posts 5129
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 9:05 AM

Denise:
And ear-slicing remained a successful technique as well.

*Purchases a short sword on Amazon*

Success is mine! Party!!!

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 901
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2020 11:57 AM

I like THIS ONE.... pfffft metal detectors!

"I read dead people..."

Posts 19042
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 8:51 PM

Denise:
And ear-slicing remained a successful technique as well.

Logos search ([field heading,large text] ear) NEAR (cutting,slicing) WITHIN 55 WORDS (defiled,disqualifying) results include:

Disqualifying the Servant in Yeshua: A Guide to the Real Jesus and the Original Church

A sixth example is found in Mark 14:47, where Peter cuts off the ear of a servant of the high priest. This was not just an ordinary servant, but was actually the chief assistant to the high priest known as the segan hacohanim. Western theologians often suggest that Peter’s intention was to take off the servant’s head. Actually Peter did exactly what he intended to do, for according to Judaic law, to lose an ear not only shamed the servant, but also disqualified him for service in the Temple.

The basis for cutting off the ear was known by all those Jews present, having been derived from Leviticus 21:18–21, which declares that no man with a blemish can work among the Temple projects. According to the Septuagint, a man with such a blemish could not come near the offering.

Peter was actually not doing anything particularly new. There are several other similar incidents in history. In 40 b.c., for example, Antigonus, a Persian candidate for high priest, had the ear of his uncle, Hyrcanus II, cut off to shame him and disqualify him for the office. During the reign of Herod the Great this happened more than once, and Josephus mentions it in his history of the first century. The Mishnah gives details of the practice, saying it was actually the ear lobe that was cut off.

Thankful for Yeshua, Jesus lovingly healing the servant's ear, which showed compassion & mercy in front of a crowd with swords and clubs.

DIsciple II:
Hard working people who do want to do the right thing by their customers and they can’t do that if we as customer don’t be honest with them.

Concur honest feedback is appreciated, especially repeatable steps focused on what is not working. Appears primary issue about automated conversion of "Strong's Talking Greek and Hebrew Dictionary" is the lack of modern lemma pronunciations so Talking is missing in resource (readily available in desktop application as shown by NB.Mick). Screen shots showed some improvement ideas. Thankful for Faithlife promising to quickly convert WordSearch resources for use in Faithlife apps, which happened as promised.

Personal challenge is speaking & writing God's Truth in Love using Kind words: intensely desire Ephesians 4:11-16 and James 1:19-21 to be integrated in all my thoughts with subsequent expressions by my actions & my words. Thankful for many Psalms where David blasted out at God that ended with Praising & Thanking God: e.g. Psalm 69.

DIsciple II:
i cant make you take off your rose coloured glasses.

Apologies for me liking my rose tinted glasses, which help visual balance when under fluorescent lights that have a green color shift.

abondservant:

Gregory Lawhorn:

Does it really make someone feel better? It seems to be one of those poisons you drink yourself, hoping someone else will die.

Agreed with the rest though. At the risk of being told to go to Christian Discourse . com, I am glad Christ has been more patient with me, than I have been with Logos at various points.

Am reminded of phrases: Hurting people hurt people while Loving people love people. Broken people break people while Healed people heal people. Thankful for DENIAL acrostic in lesson 1 of Celebrate Recovery where L = Lengthens the pain ( Embarrassed remembering my own grudges from many years ago in the work place that physically poisoned me inside so now desire to love myself as God loves me so can love my neighbor as myself, instead of hurting them & me).

FYI: Thanks to Jan Krohn for creating & maintaining a Christian Discourse (Debate) web site: https://christiandiscourse.net after Faithlife's christiandiscourse.com went offline. 

Thankful for many friendly forum & Faithlife discussions: have learned a lot plus still have a lot to learn. Getting older has opportunities: some of them are pleasant (while others include relearning a previous lesson so repetition is needed: older dogs can learn new tricks with lots of practice).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 432
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 4:44 AM

Denise:

Gregory Lawhorn:
Insults, blanket accusations, and general pettiness are beneath anyone who claims to be a disciple.

I understand what you're saying, and no intent to question. But smilingly, 'the disciples' had Disciple II beat by miles and miles. After the disciples happily got their miracle-working skills in-hand, calling down death and destruction for less than respectful Samaritans was next. I don't remember Jesus chastising them for not being Christ-like, though promising villiage-destruction was a valid Christ-like response. And ear-slicing remained a successful technique as well.

That's odd. My ESV says "But he turned and rebuked them" (Luke 9:55). 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 5:19 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
That's odd.

Ah, Mr Lawhorn, I'm always careful with my semantics, with a bit of humor thrown in ... Chorizen.  Do your exegetificationing.

But more seriously, the background to villiage treatments, where they're unenthused ... it's a subject, in itself (cultural background).

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS