Installation on a new computer with SSD and hard drive

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 8 2020 8:12 PM

I am installing Logos 9 on a new computer. It has a 256 GB SSD as the C: drive and a 1 TB hard drive as a D: drive labeled Data. 

I don't see a way to separate the main program into one drive and thr books and other data to a second drive. What is the best way to install Logos on such a system?

DEH

Posts 9009
LogosEmployee

There isn't a way to separate the installation of Logos into two parts. The program itself is only 100-200MB (while the resources and indexes can be 10-50GB or more depending on the size of the library you own) so there wouldn't be much benefit to splitting it up anyway.

We strongly recommend installing on a SSD (not HDD) for best performance so if you can make space available on your C: drive, that would ultimately be best for Logos 9.

Posts 26364
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 9:32 PM

David Housholder:

It has a 256 GB SSD as the C: drive and a 1 TB hard drive as a D: drive labeled Data... What is the best way to install Logos on such a system?

You can choose a Custom installation, which allows you to install on the D: drive. But I would recommend a default installation onto the faster C: drive. Install other programs (or their data) to the D: drive, or move media/images/photos  to the D: drive. Also, you don't have to install all your resources initially, so you can grow your Library as you see how much space is actually available.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 3:35 PM

Thank you. It looks like I need about 40 GB.  That may work on the C: drive

Posts 4
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 3:37 PM

I have installed it all on the D: drive (hard disk). If it seems inefficient I will uninstall from there and put it on the C: drive (SSD)

Posts 29030
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 5:43 PM

David Housholder:

I have installed it all on the D: drive (hard disk). If it seems inefficient I will uninstall from there and put it on the C: drive (SSD)

It WILL be. Logos depends upon fast hard drive. An SSD should be considered required. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18990
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 6:02 PM

David Housholder:

Logos is a storage intensive application that has optimizations for SSD usage. A spinning hard disk is like a one lane country road where one vehicle can travel in one direction at a time. In contrast, SSD is like a multi-lane expressway having many lanes of traffic flowing in two directions at the same time.

Due to SSD space constraints with an older version of Logos that could not download a subset of my library, have used an unsupported method of relocating two folders => Install in different folder or drive Thankful for newer Logos 8.4+ having option to download my desired subset of resources so am no longer using an external USB drive on a 2013 MacBook Air (MBA) for all my resources (do not miss opportunity to break USB drive while moving MBA).

Thread => Speeding up Logos discussed some hardware upgrades: Solid State Disk (SSD) & Ready Boost plus NGEN software setting for Windows.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS