Offensive Grudem Second Coming Headline

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 45
Bob Bolender | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 12 2020 10:56 AM

https://www.logos.com/wayne-grudem-systematic-theology?utm_campaign=promo-wgtheology&utm_content=141942061&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-5881874931&fbclid=IwAR1WK42r3Mxrobt2lgsSwJSSb0HNhycs3EBUCO9mOBRcHSZOXoasVG_y124

This headline bothered me back in October and it bothers me more and more every time I see it including (yet another) email this morning.

Am I the only one? To me, the Second Coming is a precious doctrine and to see the term applied in celebration of any theologian's work just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Posts 114
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 10:58 AM

No, you are not the only one.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 11:34 AM

Well, per the professional, Mr Piper, it's God's gift. There's sort of an echo there.

Though, I agree, Marketing has a limited sense of the Divine.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5127
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 11:55 AM

Is it a bit crass? I suppose, but this thread also reminds me of the dispute about the use of the term "apostle", which some absolutely insist--despite evidence to the contrary--can only be used and applied to The Twelve. Interestingly, the terminology "the Twelve" actually is used in Scripture to specifically address the twelve disciples chosen for a unique office in alignment with the twelve tribes. However, no one would be taken seriously if he or she started insisting that from now forward when counting we must all count "...ten, eleven, thirteen, fourteen..." because the word "twelve" can only be rightly applied to the disciples/apostles. While I think there is some level of respect due to Yeishuua`'s Second Coming, I don't think it is necessarily demeaned by applying that phrase to other "second comings". That said, could it be? Probably so. In this case? It seems like it is "worrying the fence" a bit, doesn't it? I'm sure part of that sense comes from the fact that it is employed for the sake of marketing a product for sale. Secondly (uh, can I use that word???Tongue Tied), I personally don't consider an updated systematic theology, Grudem's or anyone else's, to be a particularly significant event...not the least reason being that if it was so systematic, why would it need to be updated in the first place? Besides, are we to conclude that Yeishuua will be returning for the sake of fixing earlier errors, filling in gaps and oversights, and otherwise tweaking His First Coming to provide better fidelity to the Truth? No? Perhaps then best to just refer to this effort as a second edition and leave it at that. Ham-fisted? Yeah. Disrespectful or heretical? Not so much.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 5165
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 12:37 PM

To sum up my good brother's reply...

Really?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 4839
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 1:10 PM

I think there was a thread about this back in October.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 1:22 PM

I mean... I like Grudem, but he's no King Jesus.

Sort of like comparing Brussle Sprouts to Apples.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 7862
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 1:26 PM

Well, it‘s a Faithlife thing! Always finding an advertisement that will catch people’s attention.  Take for instance the Spanish department they were having COVID-19 flash sales and COVID-19 specials.  People are dying from COVID-19 but hey if you can make a buck out of it use it to advertise your sales.

I stopped worrying about stupidity like that because if you complain you run the risk of getting locked out of the forums because your comments will be considered “inflammatory.” Yet the very person that says your post is inflammatory doesn’t mind posting F-bombs on Facebook. Pathetic and ironic in my opinion. But hey more power to that person 😂😂😂

My strategy is buy what I need and upgrade when I can.  The less I worry about stupidity like that the better life becomes 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 1:53 PM

DAL:

I stopped worrying about stupidity like that because if you complain you run the risk of getting locked out of the forums because your comments will be considered “inflammatory.” Yet the very person that says your post is inflammatory doesn’t mind posting F-bombs on Facebook. Pathetic and ironic in my opinion. But hey more power to that person 😂😂😂

I've never been warned or threatened with banishment, and I went through a pretty negative phase.

There are some people who are kind of remind me of piranaha solution (search for that on youtube if you don't know what it is), and they dont' seem to be changing their tune.

The f-bomb on the forum is kind of shocking to me. I would hope that comment would be reported to the forum admins, or an MVP or whomever has the power to reprimand and/or remove that type of content.

EDIT: I expect that kind of behavior from the world, but not from the church :(

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 5127
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 1:59 PM

abondservant:

I mean... I like Grudem, but he's no King Jesus.

Sort of like comparing Brussle Sprouts to Apples.

Brussel sprouts rule! Oh, wait...is that stealing YHWH's glory?? Zip it!

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 7862
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 2:03 PM

Abondaervant,

The F-Bomb was on that person’s Facebook not the forums.  In either case, you’d expect a godly behavior everywhere not just here in the forums. Facebook allows all kinds of worldly posts anyway, so no surprise there if the person tries to have fun or vent in Facebook.

Me personally, I’ve also had my negative stretch here, but I have never posted curse words anywhere.  I don’t do curse words period! Even if it’s contained in a post I could share.  I’m not like some people that share someone else’s post that contains a curse word and then apologize “I’m sorry but this post has a curse word and is not mine.” Hey if it’s got a curse word don’t share it, period!

DAL

Posts 107
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 4:56 PM

I don’t like it either. 

Posts 973
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 7:21 PM

You know, I didn't even fully read the headline and assumed they were advertising a book he wrote about the second coming. (I am not a fan of Grudem so I tend to ignore anything with his name on it.) I see your point, it is bothersome.

Posts 96
Darrell Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 2:14 AM

I have no problem with it. It in no way implies elevating anything to divine status. It’s just saying, here’s the update people have been long awaiting, that’s all.

Posts 31326
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 2:48 AM

Darrell Tan:
I have no problem with it. It in no way implies elevating anything to divine status

Thanks for bringing some common sense into this inadvertent Rorschach test. I shan't start a riot by admitting how I misread the thread title.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1530
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 5:23 AM

Bob Bolender:

https://www.logos.com/wayne-grudem-systematic-theology?utm_campaign=promo-wgtheology&utm_content=141942061&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-5881874931&fbclid=IwAR1WK42r3Mxrobt2lgsSwJSSb0HNhycs3EBUCO9mOBRcHSZOXoasVG_y124

This headline bothered me back in October and it bothers me more and more every time I see it including (yet another) email this morning.

Am I the only one? To me, the Second Coming is a precious doctrine and to see the term applied in celebration of any theologian's work just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I also feel it's tacky... poor form... a turn-off.  I don't have the Logos version of the first edition but do have it in print form.  I had no plans to purchase the revised edition in Logos, but if I had planned on it, this is the sort of thing that would have left me feeling, "Nah!  I don't think so."

But it's all personal opinion and I have no problem with those who blow it off and buy the resource. 

Posts 9533
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 6:51 AM

I didn't really notice it the first time but now that you have brought it up I think it was not the wisest choice of marketing words. I doubt whether Grudem would approve of it either.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1495
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 7:52 AM

It’s ok. With our politically correct culture, it is so hard to word anything. People get offensive on such small things that years ago we would be laughing from that. When I rewatch old comedies, I am shocked how we changed. We don’t use same humor anymore. Humor gets vanished. Read reformers, the words they used, people would drag them through the courts, even Christians if contemporary preachers would use something similar. 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1098
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 9:02 AM

For what little it may be worth, it struck me as a bit tacky too. That's not to say that anyone did anything wrong - humor can be hard to get right, and tacky isn't the same thing as blasphemous. Humor's also a matter of taste.  For me it came across a bit like the co-worker who thinks he's funny, but isn't.  For others it may have come across like one of Monty Python's finest bits.

Posts 7862
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 10:07 AM

Ok without offending anybody.  What if the ad had read “The catholic mother of all systematic theologies is coming soon — Now in its second edition!”

All it’s really saying is that Grudem’s Systematic Theology is the Universal Mother of all systematic theologies and that now it will soon be offered in its second edition, right?

Tell me if the “marketing strategy” has used a wise choice of words? Would people get offended?

I think the marketing department should stay away from using biblical terminology like they’ve done in the past.  I remember their sale of “Biblical proportions” advertisement and I wasn’t really impressed by the sale or the choice of words either.

Anyway, like I said, I don’t let those things bother me anymore.  Marketing will always be marketing and there’s nothing we can do about it because they don’t work for us and it’s not our company! I buy their products but that’s it! No need to become bitter over things you can’t control even if there’s a double standard in the way they do certain things!

DAL

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS