Evangelical Heritage Version

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1611
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 19 2020 12:38 AM

When I was comparing the books in each of the L9 offers I can across this Bible. I thought I was familiar with the major modern translations, but had never noticed this one before. I can't see too much about it online. If you have experience with it I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. How do you rate it and what does it compare against?

https://www.logos.com/product/177231/holy-bible-evangelical-heritage-version

Posts 1117
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 1:08 AM

I had it briefly in my library before I returned my Lutheran Starter package in exchange for Academic Essentials. I found it to be strange, inconsistent, and sectarian in its renderings. It is targeted to a particular brand of Lutheran (see this youtube review by a Lutheran pastor who wasn't a fan). Let's just say in going through some major texts myself, I wasn't impressed and didn't miss it when it disappeared from my library after the exchange. I'm not Lutheran or anti-Lutheran, I just didn't see the translation as adding any value alongside all the many translations I already have. But if you'd like to check it out yourself for free it's available on Biblegateway.com.

Posts 1611
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 8:51 AM

Kiyah:

I had it briefly in my library before I returned my Lutheran Starter package in exchange for Academic Essentials. I found it to be strange, inconsistent, and sectarian in its renderings. It is targeted to a particular brand of Lutheran (see this youtube review by a Lutheran pastor who wasn't a fan). Let's just say in going through some major texts myself, I wasn't impressed and didn't miss it when it disappeared from my library after the exchange. I'm not Lutheran or anti-Lutheran, I just didn't see the translation as adding any value alongside all the many translations I already have. But if you'd like to check it out yourself for free it's available on Biblegateway.com.

Thanks for that. The YouTube link was interesting.

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 2:09 PM

Thanks. The review was helpful. Even though it was not a positive review I'm still interested in reading this for myself so it is still on my "to read" list. I'd be interested in hearing more reviews if anyone would care to offer them.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1117
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 2:39 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Thanks. The review was helpful. Even though it was not a positive review I'm still interested in reading this for myself so it is still on my "to read" list. I'd be interested in hearing more reviews if anyone would care to offer them.

I definitely went through it myself because even with the bad review from the pastor I figured since it was a bible it would be helpful and useful in some way. But alas...no. Lutheran Starter literally costs $1.86 for me right now and I would still consider that a waste of my money. But I'm all for folks deciding for themselves. I just wanted to give my honest review.

Not only are they unclear about their textual basis, textual decisions, and translation methodology, but they don't even live up to what they DO say about the intent of the translation. It just seemed very poorly executed, like somebody just wanted to quickly put a translation out just for their own denomination without doing all the heavy lifting to make a good solid translation that would be useful for the whole church and not just their tiny denomination. 

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 3:39 PM

Kiyah:
Lutheran Starter literally costs $1.86 for me right now and I would still consider that a waste of my money.

Wow, that is a significant statement. I'd still like to check it out but it is not high on my priority list.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1117
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 3:59 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Kiyah:
Lutheran Starter literally costs $1.86 for me right now and I would still consider that a waste of my money.

Wow, that is a significant statement. I'd still like to check it out but it is not high on my priority list.

Well, since I already had it in my library I already know what I'd be getting for the $1.86. Wasn't trying to be dramatic but I just didn't find it useful. If you happen to already have it or get it within a collection it won't hurt anything but I wouldn't buy it or buy a package just to have the EHV. That's all I meant.

Posts 1101
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 5:54 PM

It's interesting that all 8 reviewers gave it 5 stars. Might be friends or relatives?

Posts 18
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 11:22 PM

I am currently reading through this version over a year or so, up to the midpoint of Deuteronomy.

I am finding one of its strengths to be readability - not as readable as some of the paraphrases - but I am enjoying. Not replacing my preference for NIV / ESV.

Posts 1318
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 11:34 PM

Dale E Heath:

It's interesting that all 8 reviewers gave it 5 stars. Might be friends or relatives?

[Not commenting on the EHV which I don't know at all] An amazingly high number of people automatically 5-star everything, especially if they got it from FL for free. I remember one particular 800+ plus freebie theology tome I slogged through. I'd classify it as a non-introductory master's level work at the least. I found it mostly okay but not amazing. It had almost exclusively 5 star ratings, and a lot of them. I can guarantee that the vast majority of those people did not read the book all the way through or even a significant portion of it.

One of my pet peeves about the website--this practice can really distort the rating of a book and mislead purchasing decisions.

Posts 1117
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2021 5:25 PM

I just happened to come across this written review. It gives some detail about the textual choices of the EHV New Testament.

http://www.thetextofthegospels.com/2018/12/the-evangelical-heritage-version-new.html

Posts 507
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2021 8:25 PM

Sean:

Dale E Heath:

[Not commenting on the EHV which I don't know at all] An amazingly high number of people automatically 5-star everything, especially if they got it from FL for free. I remember one particular 800+ plus freebie theology tome I slogged through. I'd classify it as a non-introductory master's level work at the least. I found it mostly okay but not amazing. It had almost exclusively 5 star ratings, and a lot of them. I can guarantee that the vast majority of those people did not read the book all the way through or even a significant portion of it.

One of my pet peeves about the website--this practice can really distort the rating of a book and mislead purchasing decisions.

I was wondering what the basis of your statements were regarding the ratings on Logos.  Are you saying people are "sandbagging" the ratings?  Do you have evidence of this?  If so, can you share it?  Distorted ratings should be brought to management's attention if true.

FWIW, the A.com bookseller has this rated at 4.8 out of 5 with 28 ratings.

Posts 1318
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2021 9:31 PM

Robert Neely:
I was wondering what the basis of your statements were regarding the ratings on Logos.  Are you saying people are "sandbagging" the ratings?  Do you have evidence of this?  If so, can you share it?  Distorted ratings should be brought to management's attention if true.

Not at all. I think some of it is just people wanting to be "positive" or also giving out a 5-star rating in gratitude for a free book. The particular book I'm referring to is this one:

https://www.logos.com/product/2900/no-one-like-him-the-doctrine-of-god?utm_source=faithlife.com&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=faithlife&utm_content=reviews-2900

At almost 900 pages and fairly dense writing, I guarantee that the vast majority of the 5-star raters did not read it thoroughly enough to make an accurate assessment. And, having read it myself, I know that people who persevered in slogging through it would not all give it five stars. Some, yes, but not so uniformly. Again, I'm sure most of the ratings came from people just happy to be getting a book for free. It's not an intentional distortion, but it does make the rating system less than useful for evaluating books.

Other examples could be dug up; this one I'm just very familiar with because I reviewed it.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS