How to bring up a commentary by highlighting/right clicking on a passage?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 22
Robert Sussland | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 19 2020 8:07 PM

Often I find myself reading a difficult passage, say, Job 9:13. It would be great if I could right click/double click/whatever and immediate bring up my favorite commentary on that passage. 

Right now, I have to either right click, then bring up the passage guide, which is way more information than I need and is a bit slow, then from the passage guide click on a commentary. That creates 2 new tabs. Then my tabs are all cluttered. I am constantly cleaning up, deleting, forgetting what is in the tabs if two are created every time I want help explicating a passage. For instance, I could want that help when I am in the middle of some other workflow, like a word study that brings up a tricky passage.

OTOH, I can double click on a word and bring up a definition, or click on one of several theological dictionaries, without going through a guide, and only creating a single tab that I read and then close. Is something like this possible for commentaries as well as dictionaries?

Posts 33233
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 8:40 PM

Try:

1. right click
  2. select reference on left
  3. select power lookup on right
  4. scroll to the commentaries you want

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 22
Robert Sussland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 9:12 PM

Thank you, MJ, this helped a lot.

By digging around, I also realized that that the order of the resources in the priority list determines if they appear as one click items in the context menu when a passage is selected. For some reason I thought those priority resources only determined the order that things were displayed, not whether they appeared as individual buttons in the context menu. The first 5 items are individual clicks. 

Now I wonder if we can customize that right click menu - say if I am not clergy then I don't need the Sermon Starter Guide button right in the context menu for every passage click.

Posts 33233
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 10:31 PM

Yes, you are right that you can control what appears by priority. I'm glad you were able to see how to take it further. No, we can't customize the Context Menu - but it's something I keep thinking about suggesting ... but only after some other modifications are made.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 772
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 10:46 PM

Robert if it is a one volume commentary, you could add it on the shortcut bar, then when you want it to look up something, just click on the shortcut, and if it has a reference to your bibles current reference, it will go straight to it.

Posts 25105
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 11:25 PM

Robert Sussland:
Right now, I have to either right click, then bring up the passage guide, which is way more information than I need and is a bit slow, then from the passage guide click on a commentary.

Here's another option.

Instead of having a Passage Guide, you could just use a the Commentaries section from the Guides and link it to the Bible you are working through. In the example shown, I have added a Commentaries section to the Guide showing my "best" commentaries. (I have tagged a set of commentaries that I prefer to use for each book of the Bible).

The Guide then tracks wherever I am in the Bible which means I always have those commentaries one click away. And, from one commentary I can easily move to another using the parallel resources button

Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 5:36 AM

One more option is to open the Explorer under tools. It has a commentary section and takes up the same space as a power lookup pane.

Posts 198
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 6:02 AM

John, I like your layout and would like to try it. I can't figure out the 2nd tab on the far left panel.  Would appreciate help figuring that out.

Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 6:40 AM

Far left: Bible Word Study linked to main bible, Passage Guide linked to main bible, cited by tool linked to main bible, search pane with "send searches here".

Middle: main bible linked, second bible with send hyperlinks here so I do not lose focus in the main bible.

Right: lexicon and commentary... this is where all lexicons and commentaries should open

Far Right: Information Pane and Explorer... I do not use explorer since I have a linked Passage guide.

Benefits: Click on a word and Bible Word Study will run on the Lemma and the info pane will show lots of info on it and the verse. Move to the Passage guide and get commentaries etc. Move to the Cited By tool and get links to collections in my library.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 6:42 AM

Joe Mayden:

John, I like your layout and would like to try it. I can't figure out the 2nd tab on the far left panel.  Would appreciate help figuring that out.

Here is a screen shot. It is a customized Passage Guide:

Posts 198
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 3:43 PM

Thanks John, I really like how it is laid out.

Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 4:59 PM

Glad to help.

Posts 1116
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 3:24 PM

I found the information.

If you place a volume in your Shortcuts bar, open the volume and link it to your open Bible, the commentary volume will jump to the corresponding book if you own it. Attached a pic. my shortcut had TOTC Proverbs, I opened it, linked it to my ESV and it immediately jumped to the Thessalonians volume.

Got this from the Logos tips FB page

Posts 32
Richard L Dickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 4:22 PM

Another possible option might be to use the Multiple Resources Display feature (thick double vertical bars icon).  The resources you select will automatically follow the Bible passage.  The layout below just adds the BKC, but you can add more from the drop down list.  I think any resource that is versified will work.  The icon itself toggles the added resources on and off.  The drop-down list allows you to select the resources and even save them for later use, if desired.

Posts 32
Richard L Dickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 4:28 PM

Another possible option might be to use the Multiple Resources Display feature (thick double vertical bars icon).  The resources you select will automatically follow the Bible passage.  The layout below just adds the BKC, but you can add more from the drop down list.  I think any resource that is versified will work.  The icon itself toggles the added resources on and off.  The drop-down list allows you to select the resources and even save them for later use, if desired.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS