comparing kings and chronicles

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1099
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 21 2020 12:41 PM

I'm reading Chronicles right now, and I have Kings open at the same time.  I want to compare the two accounts of the same persons and events.  Enlightening.  Like when Chronicles deals with the entire David-Bathsheba thing in an afterthought.  (But David stayed at Jerusalem.)  OK, that's Samuel, but it illustrates the point.

I'm looking at Crockett's book right now.  It has what I want, but it's cramped into very thin columns.  I would like to be able to have two Bibles opened up and linked, so I can scroll down one and the other follows.

Is there any other way to do this with what we have so far?

Posts 4507
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 1:12 PM

It has been a while since I used it but have you tried the interactive?

https://www.logos.com/product/55314/synopsis-of-samuel-kings-and-chronicles 

Posts 1099
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 1:15 PM

thank you

I looked at that.  It lists the passages in order under different headings, but I don't see any way to see parallel passages at the same time to compare.

Posts 1099
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 1:21 PM

OK, I made a little progress here.  It doesn't seem to be working in some ways.  I linked this resource to my Bible and it's not following along.  And the passages it's showing is like it's not working at all.

Seems I'll have to play around with it.  That means it's either not working or it's not intuitive. or not simply put together.

thanks again

Posts 32109
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 2:11 PM

You probably want to put it in Chronicles order ... with the spotty coverage, I'm not sure actual linking will work well.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1099
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 2:24 PM

Thank  you.  I'm not enjoying it very much.  It doesn't seem to be linking up

Posts 2773
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 7:20 PM

Larry Craig:

Thank  you.  I'm not enjoying it very much.  It doesn't seem to be linking up

Maybe you do not want to link the two open Bibles.  Maybe for this job you just have to open two bibles, or two copies of the same one, and manually move them to show the 'same' parts in the different books.  Maybe what you will end up doing is writing your own book on the comparison. [unless you can find a book where somebody else did the work for you] [[Take lots of notes!!!!.  This kind of research can be fun but only after you stop banging your head against the wall]] [and watch out for where they do not have the same stores in the same order - Bible authors get the story right but they were not very good at chronological order history] 

Posts 139
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 7:38 PM

This may be a possibility:

https://www.logos.com/product/29701/the-parallel-histories-of-judah-and-israel-with-copious-explanatory-notes-vol-i

Geneste, Maximilian. The Parallel Histories of Judah and Israel, with Copious Explanatory Notes. Vol. 1. London: Samuel Bagster and Sons, 1843.

Posts 1099
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 7:41 PM

That's what I was doing.  Two open Bibles not linked, manually maneuvering to the various passages.

Then I thought, surely with all the datasets Logos made, there must be one for this.

Seems there is, but it's not working very well.  Maybe it does if you know a lot of intricate rules, but it should be a lot simpler than it is.

Crockett has one.  I think it could be formatted better.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Posts 1099
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 7:46 PM

thank you

this is good

and, of course, I already own it.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS