More robust than a Reader but don't need a Desktop/Laptop - what are my options for Logos

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 10:42 AM

Michael Kinch:

Graham Criddle:

Mike Binks:
Do you happen to know also, if the same device attempted to open that resource in www.app.logos.com  would it be readable?

Yes it would - because then they would be using the software on the server not the app on their device.

On my ipad I cannot open the web app.

That sounds strange - it may be due to the version of software but it seems unlikely to me.

Do you get any sort of error message when you try?

Posts 93
Greg Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 2:23 PM

From a Verbum/Logos App standpoint is there any advantage to getting an IPAD versus and IPAD Air?

Posts 620
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 2:47 PM

Graham Criddle:

That sounds strange - it may be due to the version of software but it seems unlikely to me.

No it tries to open it but can't do it when I click on the link on the Logos website.  When I try to go to www.app.logos.com it get the message Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found.

Posts 2693
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 3:37 PM

Greg Rose:
From a Verbum/Logos App standpoint is there any advantage to getting an IPAD versus and IPAD Air?

When I did it with a 2019 Air model, I got more horsepower, memory, and the display was definitely a bit better. I consider it worth every penny. It was practically a Pro model without the Pro price tax added. I store more books on it and it gets almost as much use as my computer. 

Update note: I nodded towards the Air on a storage basis. I wasn't sure how much all the books, music and other files I would ultimately put on it would take up, but I haven't yet come close. Which is ok. I wanted to make sure I got it for the duration as I really kind of hate repeat buying something this expensive that largely reaches a relatively low tech bar. Most tablet use is still pretty plain vanilla stuff. The performance level now is so good you aren't going to see anything that much better to make you want to open your wallet again for maybe four years. I have a much older iPad that still works fine except for things like Logos, so my wife uses it. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 29048
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 4:40 PM

Michael Kinch:

Graham Criddle:

No it tries to open it but can't do it when I click on the link on the Logos website.  When I try to go to www.app.logos.com it get the message Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found.

Have you tried an alternate browser such as chrome?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29048
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 4:47 PM

mab:

Greg Rose:

When I did it with a 2019 Air model, I got more horsepower, memory, and the display was definitely a bit better. I consider it worth every penny. It was practically a Pro model without the Pro price tax added. I store more books on it and it gets almost as much use as my computer. 

My answer is that there is not a significant LOGOS reason to go with the Air. It is certainly nicer. It will also last longer (theoretically) because the processor is newer and will receive updates for a couple more years. However, the regular iPad is half the price. With the savings, you can buy a new one twice as often. If money isn’t an issue, by all means the air is nicer. 

Posts 29048
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 4:50 PM

I should add: the antireflective screen is much nicer. If you are ever using it outside, that is very nice. 

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 10:26 PM

Michael Kinch:
When I try to go to www.app.logos.com it get the message Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found.

Try app.logos.com instead!

I agree that the longer form doesn't work - and I've checked this on a range of platforms and browsers

I've flagged the issue at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/197581.aspx 

Posts 5192
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 1:26 AM

Hi Greg

Greg Rose:

This is going to sound silly, but don't overlook the advantage of saving a few grammes in weight.

There was a survey some time ago that showed that even a small reduction in the weight of a piece of equipment (Camera, Binoculars, Laptops etc) affect the number of times people took them out of the house.

Almost subconsciously folk decided not to use the energy it took to lug them about.

When I thought about my own behaviour I realised there was something of truth in their conclusion.

You might find you get more use from the Air for this reason. (They are great bits of kit.)

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2693
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 9:28 AM

Mike Binks:

This is going to sound silly, but don't overlook the advantage of saving a few grammes in weight.

There was a survey some time ago that showed that even a small reduction in the weight of a piece of equipment (Camera, Binoculars, Laptops etc) affect the number of times people took them out of the house.

Almost subconsciously folk decided not to use the energy it took to lug them about.

If you commute to work or travel, this factor multiplies because you almost always have to take other stuff. I don't think twice about taking my Air because it adds so little.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS