Catholic Encyclopedia hyperlinks

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 24 2020 10:57 AM

I have found some instances in the Catholic Encyclopedia where references to Calvin‘s Institutes were not hyperlinked to the resource.

Also, it appears that some of the internal links seem limited to where the catholic encyclopedia says SEE a topic. Words like transubstantiation which are dealt with at length in the encyclopedia do not have internal hyperlinks in the article on consubstantiation, for example, where it is mentioned.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1853
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 6:21 AM

Hi and Merry Christmas Eric:

You probably didn't know when you purchased it:  this is a 'Logos Reader' edition (I didn't know that when I purchased it and was alerted to that in another thread). The Product Details section of the product page doesn't indicate this. In my case, I'm judging it to still be a good value being quite inexpensive in a lower-tier Verbum package, as I'm unlikely to need a lot of in-depth Catholic research. At least it has the 'See....' jump-words tagged, as you have noted. The PB I had previously used only had Headwords tagged, and this one will likely be formatted better and have a better presentation of images. (I haven't checked to see if images are tagged, although I suspect they are not.)

A More Serious Concern:  I have now noticed something significantly more troubling:  It appears that the 16th volume, a supplement, is missing. I have checked for a couple of early 16th Volume articles found in my .docx, e.g., 'Ancient See of Aarhus' and 'Archpriest Controversy', and they don't appear to be in the Logos Reader resource. I have vision impairments, so maybe someone else can validate. The CCEL PDF for that volume is linked here.

https://www.ccel.org/ccel/h/herbermann/cathen16/cache/cathen16.pdf 

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 960
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 6:54 AM

I’m less than happy to learn this is a readers edition. When I pre-ordered, when I purchased Verbum 9, I was expecting a full version. I hope this is upgraded in the future.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 8:11 AM

It does seem surprising, after having been in pre-pub for so many years (before Logos Reader Editions even existed), to not have delivered this as a Logos Research Edition.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 8:56 AM

Robert M. Warren:

You probably didn't know when you purchased it:  this is a 'Logos Reader' edition (I didn't know that when I purchased it and was alerted to that in another thread). The Product Details section of the product page doesn't indicate this. In my case, I'm judging it to still be a good value being quite inexpensive in a lower-tier Verbum package, as I'm unlikely to need a lot of in-depth Catholic research. At least it has the 'See....' jump-words tagged, as you have noted. The PB I had previously used only had Headwords tagged, and this one will likely be formatted better and have a better presentation of images. (I haven't checked to see if images are tagged, although I suspect they are not.)

A More Serious Concern:  I have now noticed something significantly more troubling:  It appears that the 16th volume, a supplement, is missing. I have checked for a couple of early 16th Volume articles found in my .docx, e.g., 'Ancient See of Aarhus' and 'Archpriest Controversy', and they don't appear to be in the Logos Reader resource. I have vision impairments, so maybe someone else can validate. The CCEL PDF for that volume is linked here.

Is there a way to notify Logos to have them add Vol. 16? Maybe it was an oversight.

I know it’s free online, like the Jewish Encyclopedia, but even without full tags and hyperlinks it seemed worth $30 to me to have it in Logos to interface with other Resources when searching a subject.

Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 8:57 AM

PetahChristian:

It does seem surprising, after having been in pre-pub for so many years (before Logos Reader Editions even existed), to not have delivered this as a Logos Research Edition.

What additional features would a Research Edition have?

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 9:50 AM

Eric Weiss:

https://www.logos.com/logos-editions

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 2816
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 3:44 AM

PetahChristian:

Eric Weiss:

https://www.logos.com/logos-editions

Logos Research Editions get the full Logos treatment. We catalogue topics discussed, Scripture references, theological concepts, bibliographic info, citations, and so much more. Then we connect them to Logos tools so you can access essential info in seconds flat.

Logos Reader Editions are designed to be read cover to cover. We tag Scripture references and some other basics, but forgo the robust treatment given to reference works. This drastically speeds up production, enabling us to release them the same day as print!

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1853
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 3:59 AM

Ted Hans:
Logos Reader Editions are designed to be read cover to cover.

Yikes. I should start now.

Posts 675
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 5:54 AM

While I'm happy to own this Encyclopedia, it's in the wrong tagging category. Encyclopedias are for research and not intended for reading cover to cover. 

Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 6:20 AM

Robert M. Warren:

Into Grace:

While I'm happy to own this Encyclopedia, it's in the wrong tagging category. Encyclopedias are for research and not intended for reading cover to cover. 

I noticed a couple things. The Jewish Encyclopedia seems to also be a Reader’s edition, only highlighting the fact that it links Scripture references.

The Logos description says the Catholic Encyclopedia is 16 volumes. We need to tell Logos to include Vol 16.

Posts 1853
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 7:15 AM

Eric Weiss:
Are the Vol 16 articles scattered among the 15 volumes?

My quick-check indicates 'no' and I doubt Faithlife would, or be allowed to, restructure the publication in that way. Maybe they didn't obtain rights for the supplement and the persons composing the product page didn't know that.

Posts 734
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 7:59 AM

Eric Weiss:

The Jewish Encyclopedia seems to also be a Reader’s edition, only highlighting the fact that it links Scripture references.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 4839
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 3:25 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Eric Weiss:
Are the Vol 16 articles scattered among the 15 volumes?

My quick-check indicates 'no' and I doubt Faithlife would, or be allowed to, restructure the publication in that way. Maybe they didn't obtain rights for the supplement and the persons composing the product page didn't know that.

It's public domain, though they clearly used the version from newadvent.org.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 31326
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 4:00 PM

Eric Weiss:
Is there a way to notify Logos to have them add Vol. 16? Maybe it was an oversight.

We need to demand it loudly ... I suspect they thought it was an index rather than glossary/reading list.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 4:16 PM

MJ. Smith:

Eric Weiss:

We need to demand it loudly ... I suspect they thought it was an index rather than glossary/reading list.

How do we do that?

Posts 1853
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 4:18 PM

SineNomine:
It's public domain

In that case, here's Volume 16. Compile as Type: Encyclopedia and set the compiled resource in a Series with the Logos Reader resource and the supplementary articles will display when entered in the reference box of either resource. And let's hope they make this into a Logos Research edition.

2870.Catholic Encyclopedia - Vol 16..docx

BTW, the title of the actual resource does have "I - XV"; it's the product page that has "16 volumes)".

Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 4:35 PM

Robert M. Warren:

SineNomine:
It's public domain

In that case, here's Volume 16. Compile as Type: Encyclopedia and set the compiled resource in a Series with the Logos Reader resource and the supplementary articles will display when entered in the reference box of either resource. And let's hope they make this into a Logos Research edition.

2870.Catholic Encyclopedia - Vol 16..docx

BTW, the title of the actual resource does have "I - XV"; it's the product page that has "16 volumes)".

Thanks!

Posts 31326
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 4:40 PM

Volume 16 is labeled a supplement.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7864
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 4:54 PM

How come it doesn’t say in the website that it is a Reader’s Edition? Another “oversight” maybe? It needs to be listed which edition it is for ALL resources since they now had the bright idea to have a “reader’s edition” and a “research edition.”

DAL 

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS