Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
Laura Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 27 2020 2:22 PM

Hello Logos community.

I am a note-taker, but in the most simplistic form. I just want my notes to link to the passage I am currently reading. When I scroll through a chapter and notes are open, I want to see my notes tracking along with me. Is there a way to do this? 

I know there are tutorials but the more I look into the "how to" of notes, the more confused and trusted I get. Thanks in advance for any help! 

Posts 24617
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 3:04 PM

Hi Laura

Laura Johnson:
I am a note-taker, but in the most simplistic form. I just want my notes to link to the passage I am currently reading. When I scroll through a chapter and notes are open, I want to see my notes tracking along with me. Is there a way to do this

No, there isn’t a mechanism to link notes to where you are in the Bible.

When you come across an icon indicating a note you can click it and the notes tool will update its position to that note

Does that give you what you need?

Graham

Posts 360
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 9:41 PM

I'll venture to say that Logos most likely will not build a way for Notes to track your Bible reading/scrolling simply because of the way I understand Notes to be built.

Each Note is (almost like) a stand alone document which Logos lumps together in Notes. And Logos also throws highlights into Notes which adds to the complexity of Notes. Personally, I think highlights should be in a different file - imho.

So to have Notes track when you read/scroll your Bible... Logos would have to address each Note (like a separate document) in your Notes file --- and that would be complicated.  It could be done, but it would add overhead to the Logos file. 

As it is now... you can view all your notes and scroll through them or as has been pointed out anchor each Note to a verse and as you read/scroll you can view the Note by clicking on the Note Icon. 

Personally, I put highlights in their own Notebook so they are somewhat disassociated from the rest of my Notes.  I have Note "chains" where I can go to one Note and then go to next or previous Note.

Just my 2cents... which if you put $2.50 with it will get you a cup of coffee in some places. Wink

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 6
Laura Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 6:46 AM

Graham Criddle:
Does that give you what you need?

It'll get the job done, albeit with a few extra steps than I'm used to. Thank you so much for responding!

Posts 6
Laura Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 7:01 AM

xnman:
And Logos also throws highlights into Notes which adds to the complexity of Notes.

Thank you for your help! I've not even begun with highlighting yet. In Wordsearch, I had color-coded my Bible with distinct colors for promises, instructions, descriptions of God, etc. I have no idea if/how that will migrate over but if highlighting is connected to notes it might prove to be too complicated for me. If highlights are in a notebook, then you must have to have that notebook open to see them? So they aren't just there when you open your Bible? 

I do like Logos but each thing I want to do takes me a long time to figure out and then the next time I want to do that thing, I've typically forgotten how and have to relearn it. I am thankful for these forums and thoughtful people who help me!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 8:33 AM

xnman:
As it is now... you can view all your notes and scroll through them or as has been pointed out anchor each Note to a verse and as you read/scroll you can view the Note by clicking on the Note Icon. 

I'm probably misunderstanding, but the answers to this thread seem truly bizaare!  I say this, having never used Libby/Logos notes in maybe my 15 years of Logosian experience.

But, really??

I just would never of imagined that. I keep my notes in my own Bible software (100k+ or so), and then export them to PBs in my other Bible platforms .... which scroll along with my Bible. And I can sort per verse, date-written, type, etc. I'd think that'd be 'normal'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 24617
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 8:39 AM

Denise:
I just would never of imagined that. I keep my notes in my own Bible software (100k+ or so), and then export them to PBs in my other Bible platforms .... which scroll along with my Bible. And I can sort per verse, date-written, type, etc. I'd think that'd be 'normal'.

Personal Books - if tagged appropriately - can scroll along with Bibles. 

It is Notes that can’t

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 8:45 AM

Graham Criddle:
It is Notes that can’t

Thanks, Graham. I suppose you're gritting your teeth, repeating your initial answer. I just would have never guessed that answer.  I think, my software started out as analytics (OL patterns), then added Bible text for convenience so I could match up, to see what it was finding. And then it just grew and grew. I guess Logos started the other way.

Posts 24617
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 2:11 PM

Denise:
Thanks, Graham. I suppose you're gritting your teeth, repeating your initial answer.

Not really!

It's more I'm trying to understand conceptually how notes scrolling would work.

If I take an example - the book of Ephesians - I have four separate notes on 1:3-14 and I have 17 notebooks that contain notes on the book of Ephesians and 5 notes not in any notebook at all.

I can't work out what I would be expecting if there was a mechanism to scroll notes along with the biblical text. Would I need to specify a notebook or something else?

What about those cases where I have multiple notes on the same verse in the same notebook?

I accept that these questions come from the perspective of how Logos has implemented notes functionality (at least since Logos 4 shipped) but I'm intrigued if there are other conceptual mechanisms that would make sense.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 4:56 PM

Graham Criddle:
I'm intrigued if there are other conceptual mechanisms that would make sense.

Well, not being critical, but they have a bad habit of digging themselves into a dead-end (mixed doggie metaphor). But to be fair, I don't know their end-point.

Given where they ended up at present, I'd of gone into the CitedBy, and allowed tracking user-docs with notes display, not lookup. They might already (I'm a foot-dragger at L7).

The power of notes follow-along is in Bible class materials that they'll eventually want to support. A pastor or teacher can really work wonders in a small church, or several supported, where pastors are hard to come by. And of course, as here in this thread, easy to follow notes.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS