Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9533
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 11:33 AM

David Thomas:

Bruce Dunning:
did you just do this informally?

Done VERY informally. I started with the BestCommentaries Top 5, then looked for Denver and TIU (TEDS) recommendations that were not in the BC top5 but are part of my Logos Library.

Thanks for clarifying. I'd love to see your list if it was sharable in some way but no worries if it is not.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3047
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 11:39 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Has anyone else on the forums done this?

I did the shortcut method. I created a few custom Series*, then prioritized the Series. As far as I can tell, it ends up working the same way.

Way back, right after L4 came out, I took the time to prioritize one for each book but was then told after asking a "why is this thing so slow" question that my prioritization method was causing a slowdown. Now I understand that probably wasn't the case, but even if it was, the software has been improved enough that some of these built-in speed bumps have been removed.

I agree it makes things a lot faster than digging through long lists.

* For those that don't know, you can change the Series name of any commentary to a custom name. Since I don't like every commentary in a given series, I've pulled my favorites into custom series that I call "favcom1," "favcom2," and so on. It is easy to then drag the series to the prioritization window and have the thing follow me through OT and new.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 57
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 7:23 PM

Bruce Dunning:

NDD:
Is there a way for me to free ride on your investment? Is there a way I can easily import your prioritization? 

I would be pleased to share what I did but I'm not sure if that is possible.

No worries. Thanks.

Bruce Dunning:

NDD:
Is there a way to put this as a suggestion for Logos and see if people want to vote for this feature?

You could put your suggestion in FaithlifeFeedback and see if others might vote for it. - https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app

Thanks. I just did it: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/commentary-rank-feature . If any of your like to have the ranks of commentaries, please go and vote. Please modify the request as you deem fit.

Posts 19029
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 8:03 PM

Bruce Dunning:
It was a lot of work but I'm pleased to report that it is working like a charm. Now, whenever I want to consult Bible commentaries my top 5 appear in sequential order. Has anyone else on the forums done this?

Thread => Creating a New Series of Commentaries discussion includes my custom Top 2 Series that are primarily single Bible Book commentary resources. My Library prioritization has my favorite commentary series first => UBS Handbook Series Old & New Testament Collection (55 vols.) followed by my custom Top 2 series, which has individual volumes from a variety of sets. My "Top 2 Commentaries" series ranges from 2 volumes for Ezra to 8 volumes for Micah with most Bible Books having 3 or 4 volumes (Top Two variety: Technical, Pastoral, Devotional, Special, Jewish). Currently have 108 Library Prioritizations of Commentaries (mostly series). If find a really good commentary volume, then can add it to my custom "Top 2 Commentaries" for future use (e.g. older commentaries by John Lightfoot & John Gill include Jewish insights). Also if not like a "Top 2" resource, can remove it from my custom series (deleting custom value allows default value to be restored). Part of my commentary title convention includes series abbreviation, which allows me to find all volumes in a set (those in Top 2 and those in original series). For example, Word Biblical Commentary (WBC) has 61 volumes with 23 of them in my "Top 2 Commentaries" Caveat: some commentary resources covering more than one book (e.g. Minor Prophets) can be highly rated for one Book while not so much for another.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS