Insert/replace Scripture reference in Word on a Mac no longer working

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 51 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 18
Donnie Gullion | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 7:57 AM

I was just using the old version of Word that worked for inserting Scripture.  Received the latest update for the Mac Book and it somehow updated Word to the current version that doesn't insert.  Normally I can use time machine and restore the Nov 2020 version of Word and it would work fine.  When I do that now I get error messages and word won't open.  I use this feature no telling how many times a day and losing it is troubling.  Going back like in the old days of having to go to Bible program, look up passage, copy, go back to a doc and paste seems so unhelpful. Since this seems to be on MS side a fix seems unlikely as I'm sure Logos has little to no pull.

Posts 317
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 8:21 AM

These steps have worked for me.

Good luck!

Posts 18
Donnie Gullion | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 8:24 AM

Thank you so very much!  I will try this when I stop for lunch. 

Posts 18
Donnie Gullion | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 8:28 AM

MWW:

These steps have worked for me.

Good luck!

Question: Will doing it this way not remove all my macros?  Thanks

Posts 18
Donnie Gullion | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 8:45 AM

Unfortunately this caused the same error message.  Below is the summary of it in case that means anything to someone here.

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION
ExceptionEnumString: 2
Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00000001128928fe)
Date/Time: 2021-04-29 15:38:04 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application Bitness: x64
Application Version: 16.43.0.20110804
Crashed Module Name: mso20
Crashed Module Version: 16.43.0.201108
Crashed Module Offset: 0x000000000020c665
Blame Module Name: mso20
Blame Module Version: 16.43.0.201108
UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 6347B607A08E8F63CAB57ACDCAEB2BE1
Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000020c665
StackHash: cb2f314f7496b764-dm_0x000000002378a08d
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Build Type: Release
Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007000024b9530
Crashed thread: 11

Thread 0 (0x77de):

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 9:18 AM

Donnie,

I gave up on the macro for Word several years ago. What I now do is the short-cut keys for Logos "Copy Bible Verses" Ctrl-Alt-B and have my cursor where I want the passage pasted.

Choose Copy verses to Microsoft Word and select Copy and Paste.

You have complete control as to the formatting for the passage, and your Bible version of choice.

I have created several formatting options I use for different purposes. I also use it in my Sermon Builder (I prefer the Copy option rather than the way Builder adds scripture).

My thoughts may not help you in any way, but God bless you. Hope you can make the Workflow seminar on Facebook that starts at 12:00n CDT.

Posts 18
Donnie Gullion | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 9:52 AM

Thank you James.  That isn't as streamlined as inserting the passage by typing the ref in Word and using Shift+Cmd+E, but it seems I might have to live with it.

How is what you suggest different than copying a passage (Cmd+C) then pasting in Word (Cmd+V)?  I may be missing something that you do that's helpful. Possibly I'm not understanding the process of which you speak.

Unfortunately/fortunately(!) I'm not on Facebook, so that isn't an opportunity for me. Thanks again for your help Brother!

Posts 317
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 10:01 AM

I put all my macros in a template that I call SermonTemplate.dotm and store it separately on the hard drive. I also store all my keyboard shortcuts and styles on that template and not on the normal.dotm so that I don’t have to redo them each time I change or upgrade computers.

Posts 18
Donnie Gullion | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 10:05 AM

Thanks MWW.  I do that as well for Word in general.  Since that fix didn't help me for some reason, I won't be needing to restore them if it were needed.

Posts 317
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 11:41 AM

Not sure if you are interested but there is another way that I automate getting scriptures into Word, but the geek factor is fairly high. It uses the Alfred App and Keyboard Maestro to automate the process.  There is an Alfred workflow by Caleb Evans called "YouVersion Suggest" which can copy a scripture to the clipboard from YouVersion.

How it works is I type "John 3:1-6 NLT" or "John 3:1-6 CSB" and the hit a shortcut key that triggers Keyboard Maestro to select and cut the passage and then triggers the Alfred app and pastes it into Alfred which then retrieves the passage from YouVersion and places it into the clipboard and then Keyboard Maestro pastes it into my Word document. I then have Keyboard Maestro trigger a Word Macro which formats the scripture to my liking. 

The process takes about 1 second longer than using the Logos Replace with Passage method.

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 4:52 PM

Since I am working in a Word document, if I have Logos open and running, I don't have to switch to Logos to get my passage. I just (for PC) hit Ctrl-Alt-B which brings up CBV insert my passage, click Copy and Paste and I have my scripture. Don't have to go to Logos, find my passage, copy and then back to Word to paste.

I'm not sure this is clear, but hope you can decipher what I'm saying.

Blessings!!

Posts 18
Donnie Gullion | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 6:30 PM

Thank you James.  I figured out what you were saying with respect to Mac usage.  It's not as handy as what I had, but like a lot of things, it's the new normal! Have a great Lord's Day!

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS