Bible word study: How do you choose which words are worth studying?

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 60
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 10:49 AM

What a great question P A.  I also take a more heuristic approach.  I am looking for repeated words or phrases, repeated lemmas.  I also look closely at the verbs.  They are usually carrying the weight of he narrative or argument the writer is making.  I don't necessary do a full on word-study of each verb. But Logos makes it pretty easy to go through the standard lexicons quickly and see the range of meanings a word has and the gloss they offer in a particular passage.

Dan

Posts 9
David Uebergang | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2021 5:53 PM

Good reply, thanks. Similar to what I was thinking. Main verbs seem to be a great starting place as they can carry so much info. And repetition is a key, especially in OT like Psalms or even narrative.

Posts 2734
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2021 6:15 PM

Back when I was learning Greek in school, we'd have to deal with every single word in a verse. While that sounds terribly picky, it means you don't discount anything mundane. 

One thing I am noticing more is that words used at the beginning and the end of a passage are often clues as to the whole passage's meaning. This might be more of an OT thing, but it's noticeable.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2381
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 7:42 AM

Dan Starcevich:
 I am looking for repeated words or phrases, repeated lemmas.  I also look closely at the verbs.  They are usually carrying the weight of he narrative or argument the writer is making

I am of similar thought to Dan. verbs (especially when a tense changes), repeated lemmas, repetition within a Louw-Nida domain, similar sounding words in audio of original language. words fronted in discourse tagging.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1558
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 10:11 AM

IIRC, there's a good essay on word studies by John Walton in the first volume of NIDOTTE.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS