Thinking about the Store Tab in 9.3 beta 2

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 25339
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 5 2021 2:02 AM

I think the Store tab in 9.3 beta 2 is a really good idea and done well.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Include the Christian Group information shown on Logos.com to help users in making selections of resources they might want
  2. Provide the ability to sort by community rating so users can see which resources have been most helpful to others.

Would these be good additions, are they already planned?

Thanks, Graham 

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 3:41 AM

Graham Criddle:
I think the Store tab in 9.3 beta 1 is a really good idea

Yes, seems so. 

I'm not sure how it is intended to populate, though. I expected all of the store to be in it, but see only 395 books (why those and not others?)

Graham Criddle:
done well.

Hm. Beta 2 here. I usually use the library in details view, the store tab only works in tile view and - when scrolling down - seems to load new lines interactively. It takes long due the larger cover pictures I'm actually not interested in. Does it fetch everything from the internet as I look? Blech. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2821
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 4:41 AM

NB.Mick:
I'm not sure how it is intended to populate, though. I expected all of the store to be in it, but see only 395 books (why those and not others?)

Probably due to Apple, Google and Amazon taking a big share of all in-app sales.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 25339
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 4:57 AM

NB.Mick:
I expected all of the store to be in it, but see only 395 books (why those and not others?)

I see many more than that - very strange

NB.Mick:
Hm. Beta 2 here.

Sorry I meant beta 2, I've edited the post to show that. Thanks Mick.

NB.Mick:
It takes long due the larger cover pictures I'm actually not interested in. Does it fetch everything from the internet as I look?

I see it as quite responsive - there are just a few moments where it is clearly refreshing but nothing intrusive.

Posts 25339
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 4:58 AM

Jan Krohn:
Probably due to Apple, Google and Amazon taking a big share of all in-app sales.

That does affect mobile - I wouldn't think it applies here at all as this is all "in-house" to Logos

Posts 2816
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 7:21 AM

Graham Criddle:
Include the Christian Group information shown on Logos.com to help users in making selections of resources they might want

Ultimately, the desire is to have the application much more unified with the data shown on Logos.com. Unfortunately, there are large technical problems that stand in the way of this, which means that it's not going to happen any time soon.

Graham Criddle:
Provide the ability to sort by community rating so users can see which resources have been most helpful to others.

I believe this is coming in the next beta.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 2816
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 7:27 AM

NB.Mick:
I expected all of the store to be in it

The list of resources that show up in the application is not exactly the same as the list of resources that shows up on the website. In particular, I believe the list in Verbum is relatively thin in the application at the moment. We are investigating making a larger selection available in the application.

NB.Mick:
It takes long due the larger cover pictures I'm actually not interested in.

The loading of covers happens independently of the loading of more resource lines, which means that it shouldn't slow down the process of adding more lines to the display.

NB.Mick:
Does it fetch everything from the internet as I look?

Yes. Given that most users will have tens of thousands of resources in the list, downloading the metadata for all those up front (and keeping them up to date given that they change frequently) would take an excessive amount of time.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 25339
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 7:28 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Ultimately, the desire is to have the application much more unified with the data shown on Logos.com. Unfortunately, there are large technical problems that stand in the way of this, which means that it's not going to happen any time soon.

Understood - thanks Andrew

Graham Criddle:
Provide the ability to sort by community rating so users can see which resources have been most helpful to others.

Excellent.

Posts 2205
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 12:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

There's fragmentation between (a) our webstores, which work mostly with products and SKUs, and (b) our applications, which work mostly with resources. We have different sets of metadata on resources and on products that we need to unify. Most product metadata should be resource (or author) metadata.

We have plans to shift toward a more resource- (and author-) centric world, where most metadata lives on the resource and products inherit it rather than duplicating it. We won't completely solve it this year, but you'll see some good progress down this path in 2021.

Metadata and curation are critical parts of how we deliver more value to you, both while you shop and while you use our apps. We have a growing amount of unexposed (and underexposed) metadata on resources that we'd like to start show you in both Library tabs and then eventually in our webstores.

The introduction of the new resource store tab in the Library is an important step down this path and a signal of where we're headed.

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 12:47 PM

NB.Mick:
I expected all of the store to be in it

The list of resources that show up in the application is not exactly the same as the list of resources that shows up on the website. In particular, I believe the list in Verbum is relatively thin in the application at the moment. We are investigating making a larger selection available in the application.

thanks for this information - I put my Logos application into beta and it shows >40k resources in the store! That's really a totally different thing than the few in Verbum, I do hope you get around populating this (should be the same list, in my opinion) 

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 12:48 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We have plans to shift toward a more resource- (and author-) centric world, where most metadata lives on the resource and products inherit it rather than duplicating it. We won't completely solve it this year, but you'll see some good progress down this path in 2021.

thanks for explaining it to us, I'm looking forward to it.

Posts 25339
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 1:21 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Thanks Phil - sounds good

Posts 6728
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 2:31 PM

Like the idea of seeing the store in the Library.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 5602
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2021 6:04 PM

NB.Mick:
(should be the same list, in my opinion) 

I'm OK if it's not. Verbum's target market is not that of Logos, and most Verbum users are within that target market.

Posts 25339
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2021 5:49 AM

Graham Criddle:

Thanks for adding this in 9.3 beta 3

Posts 1263
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2021 12:11 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
There's fragmentation between (a) our webstores, which work mostly with products and SKUs, and (b) our applications, which work mostly with resources.

One consequence is that the Store within the desktop program does not offer any sets. So if I enter "International Critical Commentary", I am offered only individual volumes and not the complete series (https://www.logos.com/product/197113/international-critical-commentary-icc). This reduces its utility as a shopping tool

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS