SUGGESTION: Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 657
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 1:29 AM

MJ. Smith:

We each upvote the resources we personally want to support.

Yes

Posts 428
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 6:43 AM

I agree .. vote it, if like, else pass. There's been many a suggestion that I'd of loved to criticize ... keeping the barn free of theological nags, you know.

This thread and the book are both interesting.  FL can market books that demonstrate Christian belief as badly misplaced (to be kind), but come unglued at others ... Dracula! Tarot! Bart!

But reading the book (Amazon has a lengthy sample), it's certainly not easy to define. I doubt the french terot, on the one hand, judging from the card-facings. But terot imagery, none the less. I really doubt modern Christianity is comfortable with mysticism. Far more in Godly wealth-collection.  I just finished a book on the Dominguez-Escalante trip ... at a point delivering safety, or possible converts in the unknown, the dice was rolled ... as in the NT.

Posts 15
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 7:41 AM

I too am amazed at this thread. Occult-friendly or Occult-adjacent books should be shunned in this forum - not just passed by!

Occultists are frequently quoted in this book (See https://medium.com/@edwardiglesias/review-of-meditations-on-the-tarot-a-journey-into-christian-hermeticism-845e34788ee1), it is clearly irenic in nature towards something as deadly as the occult practice of Tarot.

Posts 131
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 8:32 AM

When I was young, playing ordinary cards (let alone Tarot Cards!) was considered a sin in many circles.

This thread reminds me of an old Finnish song made by Tapio Rautavaara, which goes like this (my translation):

This is an old story from the war-times:
We had been on a long march,
and the troops had reached the town.
Next day it was Sunday,
and the Warrant Officer commanded that all the boys should go to Church.
When the priest read a prayer,
those with a prayer book
took the book in front of them.
But one Private had nothing else but a deck of cards,
which he spread in front of himself on the pew.
The Warrant officer noticed the deck of cards and said:
“Private!
Cards away!”
After the service the Private was imprisoned
and taken to a court martial.
The Court Martial asked:
”Justify what you did!
Else I will punish you harder than anybody before.”
The private answered:
Your Honour,
I’ve been on a march nearly the whole week,
and I don’t have a Bible nor a Prayer Book with me.
But I hope you understand my sincere explanation.
Having said thus the Private began his story:
”You see, Your Honour,
When I see an Ace,
I remember there is only One God.
From Two I remember that the Bible consists of two parts:
The Old and the New Testament.
When I see a Three, I think of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.
When I see a Four, it reminds me of the four Evangelists:
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
When I see a Five, I think of the five wise virgins who trimmed their lamps.
In all there were ten of them: Five wise who were saved
and five stupid for whom the door was shut.
When I see a Six, it reminds me of the fact that God created heaven and earth in six days.
When I see a Seven, I remember that God rested on the seventh day.
When I see an Eight, I think of the Eight righteous ones, whom God saved from the Deluge:
Noah, his wife, their sons and their wives.
When I see a Nine, I think of the lepers, whom our Savior cleansed from their ailment:
Nine out of ten did not even thank Him.
When I see a Ten, I think of the Ten Commandments,
which God gave unto Moses on Stone Tablets.
When I see a King, I think that there is only one King of Heavens, God, the Almighty,
When I see the Queen, I think of Virgin Mary, who is the Queen of Heavens.
The Soldier is the Devil.
When I count the score of the Card Deck I get 364,
only one less than the amount of days in a year.
There are 52 cards, as many as there are weeks in a year.
There are four suits,
as many as there are weeks in a month.
There are 12 Court Cards,
as many as there are months in a year.
Each suit has thirteen cards,
as many as there are weeks in a quarter of a year.
As you can see, Your Honour,
A deck of cards is my
Bible, Calendar and Prayer Book.
Dear Listeners, this is a true story!

Summa summarum: All kinds of meditations with different kinds of Card Decks! Wink

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 33233
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 9:30 PM

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 33233
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 4:21 AM

DMB:
I really doubt modern Christianity is comfortable with mysticism.

Actually the situation is very complex.  It is very easy to find interdenominational, intentional mysticism oriented groups ... if you know where and how to look. But they have become intentionally less visible in the last couple of decades. Getting a group of 300-400 such people for a weekend workshop in Seattle is easily done despite the comparative non-religious culture of the Pacific Northwest. A decade or two ago, the same could be said about perennial philosophy and interfaith groups. I no longer have contacts within those circles so I can't speak to them. Out of these groups have come some popular devotional authors whose fans might be "shocked" by the hermetic nature of the practices of the authors.  But at the same time, there has been an absolute glut of popular books that are libelous in their level of inaccuracy, what I label "barf-a-lacious" in their abuse of reasoning, pure bigotry, and hatred. And there has been a steady stream of high quality translations of source materials, reputable studies (pro and con), and simplified how-to's since the late 60's ... a conscious effort on the part of some publishers to stem the flight to the East by showing the same traditions exist in the West. And more of them in Logos than most people realize.

What I have found in outside the forum interactions with some people active in these forums is that prejudice and bigotry is so strong that one cannot even get agreement with the dictionary definitions of terms so there is the possibility of actual communication. I am baffled that the American Christianity as a whole is so bitterly opposed to those who are most serious about embodying their faith 24x7 - who are scrupulously orthodox and eschew magic and occult with a very good understanding of what they are and why they are dangerous. And, yes, magic presents the same spiritual dangers in Buddhism as it does in Christianity.

So since the late 1960's, there have been two contradictory things happening - a growth in mystical Christianity including outside the churches one would expect and a growth in extreme anti-mystical Christianity.

I will not give up trying to ensure that Faithlife has a balanced, broad catalog that includes Stone-Campbell, Mennonite, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, social justice, narrative theology, liturgical theology, mysticism, intentional community (domestic monasticism), hermeneutics, . . .

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 428
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 6:05 AM

MJ. Smith:
So since the late 1960's, there have been two contradictory things happening - a growth in mystical Christianity including outside the churches one would expect and a growth in extreme anti-mystical Christianity.

Well, I welcome your goals for a balanced view. I can't honestly say mystical, since I don't understand it, even though I suspect folks in the 1st century were far closer than me. In my akkadian browsing, words described the power of touching the hem, and this many centuries before Jesus.

You'll no doubt see this as extremism, but I continue to think Logos is a 'fool's delight' as regards spirituality. I say this, from a retired retail excecutive perspective ... we avoided highly educated hires, except for specialty positions. The reason was a successful sale (thense corporate design) demanded knowing people. And I believe the same in religion ... heavily computerized pastors won't know their people. Of course, they will rationalize, along with the seminaries that deliver the degrees.

Which is why I've thought your attempts to spiritually  'usefulize' Logos is a very good direction.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS