Ravi Cancelled

Page 5 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 82 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5705
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 8:33 PM

Rene Atchley:
I believe that clearly, in this thread, the ugly head of righteous christian cancel culture has clearly been shown....

Rene no matter how you want to label those with whom you disagree with the facts are the facts.  Ravi was outed by his own ministry for deliberate, systematic, extended sin that involved the manipulation of people through the use of ministry funds to cover up his behavior. 

Angela sums up things as well as any:

Angela Meister:
People are talking about things they have not read (the extensive report) as if they have. This was long. Multiple victims over a period of time. Decades. No remorse apparent to anyone even to the end. It involved misuse of ministry funds. Hiding and deception. Rape. Phone and email records and then other records destroyed. Basically gaslighting his ministry partners. Suing a victim, whose life was ruined. This has all the markings of a narcissistic sociopath. Premeditated manipulation and seduction and created states of dependency. So instead of shaming those hurt, even those who gave funds to his ministry, please just stop and let others process this appropriately. Every one of us is a sinful human being in need of a Savior. This is not the question and saying this to those hurting does not help. Every man battles lust and if this is hitting your conscience on that in any way, please get help. Don't add insult to injury to some of these conversations. This is addressed to all in general in love. ❤ Angela

Pretty much any theological system, save universalism would have a hard time reconciling that the family reported there was never a moment of repentance before his death. We need to pray for all affected. Only God knows at this point if there was any remorse.

I have not seen a single person in this post suggest they are more righteous as Ravi, I have not seen a single person who has said they are not prone to the same tempations if they do not keep their relationship with God in check. 

Rene Atchley:
Nor am I sure that a group of people gathering on a business oriented support forum get to make decisions about who officially makes the call on who represents Christianity.  Toleration has historically not been a strength of the Christian community after the first generation of the faithful died.  Perhaps a more reasonable goal than canceling out those who we judge or disagree with is simply to let a business make their best call on what to publish given their market focus. 

Nobody here is making any offical decsions on who represents Christianity as you want to put it, there are simply those who feel they need to support the decsions being made by RZMI and various publishers and authors about what should be done in this situaiton. Other than the choosing whether or not to purchase resources with Ravi's name attached to them no one in this fourm has any power to do what you are suggesting. You are the one being intollerant at this point in time of those who respect God's Word has clear standards along with examples, that sin has it consequence, even where there is repentance and forgiveness and that leaders are to be held at a higher standard.

Nobody here thinks they are better than Ravi, and no less prone to sin, we are all greived by the situation but seeking to honor God's name in the process.  If you think sin, even confessed sin, should not have consequences, even confessed sin, paritcularly leaders,  then your problem is with God and you need to take it up with him rather than making baseless claims about the motivations and actions of your fellow Christians. It is his Holiness and Mercy that brings about salvation through judgement.

Posts 86
Angela Meister | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 5:43 PM

Just to clarify, I did a copy/paste of what I posted on social media (which I noted) after reading various conversations that people were talking past each other either in ignorance or arrogance on social media. It was not directed at a particular comment on this thread, though some of the direction this was taking in what seems to be insensitivity to the situation prompted me to post. The primary directive of all of scripture is agape love for each other walked out. Just a reminder. Those trying to walk that out to the best of their ability in a horrible situation deserve respect at the least. God bless everyone. Prayers going up for all in Jesus' name.

Posts 5200
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2021 6:49 PM

I don't like doing this, but I'm going to cite the official Forum Guidelines:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.

Page 5 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS