Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 165
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 2:28 PM

Fabian:

Yes there was a time Accordance crashed a lot, but this has gone and more features are added.

There is a beta channel for TW6. Your preferred search engine will find it. There are 9 releases since 20. Dez. 2020. So he is active.

This was occurring for me in 2020. Have they fixed the bait and switch issues with the LXX and corresponding highlighting (that the Hebrew text has to be on screen for it to work)? When I asked about it I was told by staff that it would never be fixed.

I did see something in passing about TW6. But, after a discussion with the author of the program, he made it clear that the software was mature in its current iteration and there would not be major feature changes in the future. It is a very active community and the author is likewise, but the fundamental premise and purpose of the software I don't think will change. That means the limitations I was fighting against will not be resolved. 

Plus, I've invested alot of money in Logos (thrown away as much on Accordance) so I have a financial incentive to stay with Logos even if TW6 miraculously catapults forward in advanced features. I do like Logos overall. And I do prefer its features and aesthetic over TW5. But there are definitely issues with it (like all programs).

Posts 165
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 2:52 PM

MWW:

Just my 2 cents but... any tradesman does what he can to acquire the tools he needs. However, it can and will require both patience and diligence to acquire then in an affordable manner.

Yes, it is Erasmus who is often quoted (incorrectly) as saying, "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." I have the luxury to live quite extravagantly on very little (relative, of course). The technique I use is to have no hobby that costs money, little travel (already live in paradise), and no indulgence other than "buying [bible related] books." There is a point, though, at which it is kind of fiscally gross how much tools are priced. It does not make it ethically right to price something simply based on the fact that a segment of the population can and will pay for it. FL is a for-profit company, but they have the dual responsibility of serving the Church as well. There needs to be a delicate balance between those two extremes, and I"m just saying they should lean a little more toward serving and less toward turning a profit. But, then again, I'm a spectator. I don't know the internal numbers. I can afford $500 or $1000 on Bible software without a problem. I could even afford $3000 or even $10000 (what's more useful, a new car or a lifetime academic library that fits into my pocket?) if I thought the package was really worth it (I've check, it's not).

Figuring out how to game the Logos system is not something I've mastered yet.

MWW:

The secret is in learning how to buy Logos resources. I have most of the major commentary sets and I did not pay all that much for them. If you look through the various levels of all the library packages when they are on sale you can find some amazing values. Sometimes there are commentary sets that are incredibly cheap. As you buy packages other packages become less expensive because of dynamic pricing. I have bought some things that were just too inexpensive to pass on. Also, if you follow the forums you can be alerted to great deals when they are available. The other thing I have done is to take advantage of the payment plans, especially for larger purchases. 

That is a somewhat dubious claim, "most major commentary sets and did not pay all that much for them." Qualify the two major terms here, "most major commentary sets" and "all that much." I've priced the major commentary sets (that I would even want) and it runs way over the package pricing. Did you pay over $4000? If so I would not consider that "not all that much." It is a significant investment. When I fill up my wishlist or shopping cart with commentary sets, I can talk myself out of each one simply because its such a huge expenditure that is not in a healthy relation to the actual ROI.  

If you paid much less than this I would like to know your secret. I'm signed up for FL email list. They send out the monthly specials and I never see full commentary sets on there, just individual titles and there is nothing less useless in my mind than a single volume of a commentary set. 

I have noticed the dynamic price on packages does go down as you move through the tiers. I wish they had an ad-hoc package creator, so I could buy a 20 title package and pick which titles I want. Or maybe pick a package with the option to swap out commentary sets that I won't use for ones that I would. But I suppose too much flexibility for the customer makes the bottom line for the company suffer.

I'll look at the forums and see if there is a dedicated one for news or specials. Are they the same as the emails that get sent out, or are there special promotionals just for the forums?

Payment plans make me nervous. These last few years are the first time in my adult life that I've been 100% out of debt and even have savings. I have no desire to put myself back under the thumb of debt ever again. Even if it is 0% interest. Just not worth the risk. I would rather save the money up and then make a purchase or go without altogether. 

Anyway, thanks for your 2 cents. The advice was worth much more than that. ;-)

Posts 446
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 3:10 PM

Steven Veach:
Qualify the two major terms here, "most major commentary sets" and "all that much."

I wouldn't argue that commentaries have great prices. But MWW is right, but I don't know why. I think last year, I picked up 2 sets at really low prices ... I'd watched for years. How FL makes money in those situations, I don't know. It seems like playing cards (not gambling) ... you have a group in your hand, and FL discards the perfect fit. Grab it.  Kind of like that.

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:16 PM

DMB:

It seems like playing cards (not gambling) ... you have a group in your hand, and FL discards the perfect fit. Grab it.  Kind of like that.

That's how I approach it usually.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 165
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 4:30 PM

DMB:

I wouldn't argue that commentaries have great prices. But MWW is right, but I don't know why. I think last year, I picked up 2 sets at really low prices ... I'd watched for years. How FL makes money in those situations, I don't know. It seems like playing cards (not gambling) ... you have a group in your hand, and FL discards the perfect fit. Grab it.  Kind of like that.

So if I put commentary sets in my wishlist will the sale prices automatically show up and update the prices in the wishlist when they go on sale? Or do I have to look at the individual product page? I looked over the forums but couldn't find a thread specifically for sales. Did I miss it or do I just have to watch the recent topics list for sale postings?

Posts 117
Darrell Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 10:37 PM

Steven, 

Steven Veach:

This is, by far, my biggest complaint of Logos and FL. The ridiculous price of commentaries.

there is no harm in putting together an actually functional base package that has several free commentaries in it for us "less fortunate" (translated CHEAP!).

The last I checked, prices were comparable between Logos, Accordance and at least another platform. They are also not cheap in book form. It isn’t unique to Logos.

As for a cheap functional package, I am a grateful user of the free Logos Basic. Included with that is the free Faithlife Study Bible. Over the years I’ve received many free commentaries as the Free Book of the Month, including titles from the WBC, AYB and other series. That’s purely for free.

If we’re talking cheap, there’s Logos Fundamentals. Also the monthly offers at 1.99, 2.99 etc. I think FL in no way prices people out.

Posts 117
Darrell Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2021 10:59 PM

During special offers, whole commentary sets go for prices like 399, 599, 799... The NIVAC series is now going for $500. Still a sizeable investment, but that’s the range you can expect.

I beg to differ on the value of individual commentaries from a series. That’s how I purchase commentaries. Volumes in a series are not equally regarded. I get the ones I want when they are the right price.

Posts 446
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 5:48 AM

Steven Veach:
So if I put commentary sets in my wishlist will the sale prices automatically show up and update the prices in the wishlist when they go on sale?

Not sure about that, but I think so. But it's easier than that ... you just check their sales around the start of each month ... Logos.com > Right-side Hamburger menu > Products > Sales.  Usually the monthly freebies, and various sales. Then the annual sales ... March Madness coming up, library expansions, and package promotions.  They're pretty predictable by virtue of the publishing industry who often make the offers.

Posts 2199
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 6:06 AM

Steven Veach:
So if I put commentary sets in my wishlist will the sale prices automatically show up and update the prices in the wishlist when they go on sale?

The answer is yes.  The sales price will be marked in red and the percentage off the real price will be noted. I check my wish list each month to see what is on the list that is currently on sale.

Posts 165
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 2:10 PM

Darrell Tan:

During special offers, whole commentary sets go for prices like 399, 599, 799... The NIVAC series is now going for $500. Still a sizeable investment, but that’s the range you can expect.

I beg to differ on the value of individual commentaries from a series. That’s how I purchase commentaries. Volumes in a series are not equally regarded. I get the ones I want when they are the right price.

Great news on the wishlist dynamically updating the sale prices. I've got my loaded up with all the commentaries I would ever want. I'll have to wait and see if they ever come down enough in price to be affordable. 

I've heard before that commentaries should be selected by individual author not series. I've always done it the opposite, though. I look for overall good quality in a series, and then select two or three of those at the top of the list. Most of my reading and research is done in individual primary and secondary sources, but I still want a select few complete sets that will track along with whatever verse I'm looking at at any given moment. 

I would love to see some of the $1500 commentaries go on sale for $399. Big Smile

Posts 2199
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 7:31 PM

Steven Veach:
I would love to see some of the $1500 commentaries go on sale for $399

I don't ever remember seeing that. BUT I have purchased $1500 commentaries for less than $399 in packages.

I also want to let you know that I have things in my wish list that have sat there for 4 years.  Items do go on sale, but some items never go on sale.

The thing to remember about value.  If you have 1000 books in your library, and your library costs $500, then each resource you can say averages $2 a piece.  Not a bad deal.  And the package deals are often better than that.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 7:39 PM

alot of it depends on the publisher also. Zondervan stuff... you're lucky to see it on sale once a year or once in a few years.

Other publishers are a little more lenient, and when things are in base packages you're golden. I have aprox 16000 titles at the moment, and have paid an average of 1.16 per book.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 165
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2021 10:52 PM

Mark:

Steven Veach:
I would love to see some of the $1500 commentaries go on sale for $399

I don't ever remember seeing that. BUT I have purchased $1500 commentaries for less than $399 in packages.

I also want to let you know that I have things in my wish list that have sat there for 4 years.  Items do go on sale, but some items never go on sale.

The thing to remember about value.  If you have 1000 books in your library, and your library costs $500, then each resource you can say averages $2 a piece.  Not a bad deal.  And the package deals are often better than that.

I certainly do not have high expectations of success. The best option is I live to do without these commentaries. They are certainly not necessary.  With what I've spent thus far, I have a pretty complete system for my uses. The very worst result would be to purchase a commentary (for $300 or worse $1500) and never really use it at all.  

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS