Best English Grammar review before learning Hebrew and Greek?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 86
Angela Meister | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 27 2021 6:42 PM

Hi, just wondering if anyone had experience/opinion on some resources about English grammar review before learning the biblical languages. I haven't started yet, but am finding that I really don't even recall high school level grammar very well. I probably violate all kinds of rules consistently because I tend to just write like I talk. 

Any suggestions that you have personal experience with? It doesn't need to be a Logos resource, just something to get my head on straight.

My plan is to do this, then...

Work through Hebrew and Greek for the Rest of us as an introduction.

Moving on to the Mobile Ed courses for using Hebrew and Greek in Logos.

Then moving into the Beginning Hebrew class and building up in that before beginning Greek.

I know most prefer Greek for NT/Septuagint first or even primarily, but I have been drawn to Hebrew for a long time and believe this is a lifelong endeavor for me.

I plan to do the majority, if not all of this self study with online resources.

Thanks for any help with the English resource.

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2021 8:25 PM

Hey Angela,

You are not alone. I have never taken Hebrew, but every basic Greek grammar I have had has a review of English grammar because it has been so neglected in being taught in school. The only parts of speech I remember being taught was when I was in the 3rd grade. Yikes! Anyhow, if you want to brush up on your English this website may help. https://www.englishgrammar.org/lessons/

Posts 923
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2021 8:47 PM

I discovered when I took Greek and Hebrew in Seminary that it forced me to learn and apply English grammar. it was like I learned three languages. Big Smile

Posts 19401
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2021 10:00 PM

Angela Meister:
... learning the biblical languages.

What is your language learning goal ?

• Sight reading requires memorization of vocabulary & grammatical spelling plus discourse conventions
  • Recognizing significance of grammatical use for exegetical insights

My language learning goal is recognizing grammatical significance for exegetical insight. Phrase "That's Greek to Me" has new meaning since can read a number of Greek passages (& have memorized a few) while other Greek passages are Greek to me (albeit have ability to do my own stilted literal translation using an Analytical lexicon, which has every spelling variation plus other lexicons for meaning insights plus software tools, ...).  Thankful for Logos/Verbum Bible software having morphological tagging so can search & highlight grammatical items. My favorite feature is Visual Filter highlighting: Logos Wiki => Extended Tips for Highlighting and Visual Filters includes:

Angela Meister:
My plan is to do this, then...

Work through Hebrew and Greek for the Rest of us as an introduction.

Moving on to the Mobile Ed courses for using Hebrew and Greek in Logos.

Then moving into the Beginning Hebrew class and building up in that before beginning Greek.

A resource suggestion for learning English & Greek Grammar concepts using sentence diagramming is Learning New Testament Greek Now and Then has one screen shot of "Logos" showing Libronix predecessor so resource could be updated with newer Logos screen shot: e.g. Logos 9 Dark Mode showing three lines in NA26 Interlinear (no longer available for purchase):

Greek has similar left to right word order as English with caveat that Greek spelling showing grammatical usage allows word order modification for emphasis. Hebrew word formation and sentence order is a bit different (along with reading from right to left).

Personally have read parts of many Hebrew & Greek grammars plus some Mobile Ed courses (recommend Discourse Analysis). Some resources are easier for me to understand than others. Thankful for many original language capabilities in Logos & Verbum Bible Software.

Currently reading The Biblical Hebrew Companion for Bible Software Users that has Hebrew exegetical example for each grammatical concept. (already have Hebrew alphabet memorized plus vowel point markings so can comfortably recognize Hebrew words reading right to left although my Hebrew vocabulary needs expansion)

Thankful for The Israel Bible Daily Inspirations, which has Hebrew with English transliteration showing emphasized syllable: e.g.

• אֶשְׁכֹּ֨ל הַכֹּ֤פֶר׀ דּוֹדִי֙ לִ֔י בְּכַרְמֵ֖י עֵ֥ין גֶּֽדִי׃
  • esh-KOL ha-KO-fer do-DEE lee b'-khar-MAY ayn GE-dee

Shir Hashirim (Song of Songs) 1:14

Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible (LHI) can show manuscript with transliteration (albeit accented syllable mark can be a bit close to vowel points plus noticed LHI accented two syllables that were not accented in the Israel Bible Daily Inspirations)

Logos How-To Guides includes:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 12104
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2021 3:30 AM

Angela Meister:
Any suggestions that you have personal experience with? It doesn't need to be a Logos resource, just something to get my head on straight.

No, no experience, but the top 5 of this search seem to be geared towards you question: https://www.logos.com/search?query=%22english%20grammar%22&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=all  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2755
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2021 10:26 AM

I recall having a review in my first semester of Greek of grammar terms. I can't even remember having learned it in the first place!!! I woud suggest grabbing any simple English textbook or this

https://www.logos.com/product/55180/english-grammar-for-bible-language-students 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2021 10:49 AM

NB.Mick:

Angela Meister:

No, no experience, but the top 5 of this search seem to be geared towards you question: https://www.logos.com/search?query=%22english%20grammar%22&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=all  

I agree and would add the sixth volume after the NKJV that’s part of the results (I don’t know why).

Also, Mr. Plummer, from Daily Dose of Greek, recommended A Dictionary of English Grammar for Students of Biblical Languages. Looks interesting and helpful for quick grammar definitions:

https://youtu.be/wB5KpvEv6_o 

I like this one too, because it has helped me polish my English: https://www.logos.com/product/201131/the-blue-book-of-grammar-and-punctuation-11th-edition-an-easy-to-use-guide-with-clear-rules-real-world-examples-and-reproducible-quizzes 

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS