"A Marginal Jew"

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2821
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 1 2021 12:06 PM

With all the Wipf & Stock sale hype happening, I'd suggest to take a close look at the Verbum +2 resource.

A Marginal Jew, Rethinking the Historical Jesus: Volume One, the Roots of the Problem and the Person | Logos Bible Software

That title sounded somewhat familiar to me, so I performed a Logos search to find out where I read about it, and found it referenced 789 times in 119 books, many of which are written by high profile authors, both Evangelical and Catholic (Mark Strauss, Norm Geisler, Philip Yancey, Darrell Bock, Craig Keener, Richard Bauckham, Scott Hahn, Craig Evans, Joseph Fitzmyer, Lee Strobel, Craig Blomberg, James D.G. Dunn, Scot McKnight and lots more).

I have the strong suspicion that this book is pure gold.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2021 12:20 PM

Oh, wow! Thanks for pointing me to this sale. I read the dead tree version of this book many years ago and loved it. 4 dollars is a steal! Too bad the rest are not discounted, I would have picked them all up.

Posts 948
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2021 12:24 PM

Thanks for mentioning this. Meier's work is huge in the world of historical Jesus studies. And what a great price for one of the volumes!

Posts 1722
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2021 12:26 PM

Jan Krohn:

With all the Wipf & Stock sale hype happening, I'd suggest to take a close look at the Verbum +2 resource.

A Marginal Jew, Rethinking the Historical Jesus: Volume One, the Roots of the Problem and the Person | Logos Bible Software

That title sounded somewhat familiar to me, so I performed a Logos search to find out where I read about it, and found it referenced 789 times in 119 books, many of which are written by high profile authors, both Evangelical and Catholic (Mark Strauss, Norm Geisler, Philip Yancey, Darrell Bock, Craig Keener, Richard Bauckham, Scott Hahn, Craig Evans, Joseph Fitzmyer, Lee Strobel, Craig Blomberg, James D.G. Dunn, Scot McKnight and lots more).

Looks like this is volume 1 of 5 in total.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2021 12:27 PM

If anyone is wondering, buying this first volume at this steep discount still shaves off $40 from the dynamic pricing for the bundle of all volumes. Still a bit too pricey for me though. 

Posts 2821
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2021 12:45 PM

Josh:
If anyone is wondering, buying this first volume at this steep discount still shaves off $40 from the dynamic pricing for the bundle of all volumes. Still a bit too pricey for me though. 

Too pricey indeed, but there's always space on my wishlist (just in case the most wishlisted collections sale come back).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 195
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2021 1:20 PM

Jan Krohn:

I have the whole set, including the last released vol. V.

It surely is a must-have, if You're into historical Jesus -studies and a serious academic student. Along with Meier perhaps only this set (Handbook for the Study of the Historical Jesus (4 vols.) | Logos Bible Software, which is insanely expensive and been sitting in gathering interest in pre-order) is pure gold (meaning not just the contents, but the price, also...) Huh?

Perhaps, because Meier is so bold, that he attracts attention from every angle..? His thesis is to gather an "unpapal conclave" consisting of "a Catholic, a Protestant, a Jew, and an agnostic - all honest historians" and lock them up in the bowels of Harvard Divinity School for indefinite time - until they emerge with a historical consensus regarding the Jesus of history.

Here's a short review: Writes John F. Evans: "Probably the fullest, most detailed study ever produced in the field (3500pp.). I venture my opinion that little here will help the evangelical preacher. [ CBQ 7/10; BTB 8/10; JETS 9/10; JTS 10/13; Int 10/10; ExpTim 11/10; Them 11/10] . The new Vol. V is subtitled “Probing the Authority of the Parables.” (In: A Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works, 10th ed. | Logos Bible Software)

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 9673
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2021 4:32 PM

Jan Krohn:

I initially said "no" to this as I had a pretty full cart but you made me rethink it and I picked it up. Thanks.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8487
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2021 5:05 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Jan Krohn:

I initially said "no" to this as I had a pretty full cart but you made me rethink it and I picked it up. Thanks.

I’m glad is volume 1 to get a sneak peek to how it all started and where it’s going! I will make a reading plan ASAP 👍😁👌

Posts 113
Greg Dement | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2021 7:27 AM

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this, very intrigued. Olli's recommendations have proven to be solid in the past and that alone is enough. I did want to see if anyone else has read some or all of these volumes and in your opinion would you recommend to someone that is neither in ministry or a seminary student?

Posts 25345
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2021 7:51 AM

Greg Dement:
I did want to see if anyone else has read some or all of these volumes

I have read the first three volumes - and need to get back to volume 4!

I found them really interesting with a very detailed examination of the biblical story, culture, the person and work of Jesus.

Certainly worth engaging with - but they are not a particularly easy read (in the sense that they go into a lot of detail - as well as being long!)

Posts 948
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2021 7:55 AM

I'm very pleased with my reading so far. Of course he's very thorough, but also sensible in handing the resources. He offers a thoughtful and influential perspective without creating his perspective out of nothing, a complaint I often have against many historical Jesus solutions. I've only got a couple volumes from the series, but it'll keep me occupied for a while.

Posts 1869
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2021 8:14 AM

Greg Dement:
would you recommend to someone that is neither in ministry or a seminary student?

I have a degree from a seminary, but am in this category myself. About a dozen years ago I looked at various Historical Jesus resources in various libraries and was quite impressed. In my opinion, it was the best at clearly and evenhandedly presenting the evidence, and the ways various scholars interpret the evidence in a form where you can look up various topics without burying yourself in the whole work of anything I saw out there. And so when Volume 1 was a cheap bonus book last month from Verbum, it was an easy decision to get it.

It is a harder choice to get the rest of the collection on sale this month however. Even on sale, it is still expensive. I have NO doubts that it is worth it for anyone working with Historical Jesus questions. But I am not doing this, and it is a fair amount of money for something I have found in many a reference library when I needed it before.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 113
Greg Dement | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 3 2021 5:44 PM

Thank you all for the feedback, I pulled the trigger.

Posts 8487
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2021 10:42 AM

For $79.92 dynamically priced I went for it too! Hopefully it won’t be free next month and the rest of the volumes 0.99 cents, $1.99, $4.99, $9.99  — I had that happened before with another set where the discount was deep, but it went deeper later 🤦🏻‍♂️ But I won’t worry about it since this set hasn’t been on sale that much in the past.  Even Accordance doesn’t have it as cheap.

DAL

Posts 4
SamuelRichards | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2021 2:49 PM

Thanks for mentioning this. Meier's work is huge in the world of historical Jesus studies. And what a great price for one of the volumes!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS