Announcement: Forum image upload changes

Page 1 of 4 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 1 2021 5:20 PM

We are changing the forums to use Faithlife's standard image hosting feature, known as "Amber".

This system is already used by Faithlife.com, our wikis, and the Logos Media Tool (among others). It provides a central place to store and manage all the media you're using across Faithlife products.

Because Amber is a modern platform that's being actively developed (unlike the forum software itself), it offers some new features that we think will be useful for posting:

1. Upload by pasting an image from your clipboard into the Amber picker, instead of having to save it to a file on disk first.
  2. Upload multiple files (e.g., log files) at once by using drag-and-drop from Explorer/Finder.
  3. More file types supported.
  4. Files are served from a global content delivery network, so they should load faster.

Posts 1969
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2021 7:13 AM

Thanks for this upgrade. I really like how we will be able to save screenshots on Amber for use in other posts.

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

I should have mentioned that you can also access Amber through its own website (where you can manage your own media, and media for any groups you belong to) at https://amber.faithlife.com/.

Posts 1634
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2021 8:23 AM

Why is there still an "Insert/Edit Image" icon next to the "Insert Attachements/Media" icon?

It's also not clear how to insert an image from the clipboard. I pressed Ctrl-V to paste an image from the clipboard, it shows up in the edit window (it's still there, I can see it), but it doesn't show up in the published posting.

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2021 8:33 AM

PL:
It's also not clear how to insert an image from the clipboard. I pressed Ctrl-V to paste an image from the clipboard, it shows up in the edit window (it's still there, I can see it), but it doesn't show up in the published posting.

Hm. You mean you just used Ctrl-V in the forum editor? This won't work and hasn't worked ever, I think.

(next line is a pasted-into-the-forum-editor screenshot, probably invisible)

What is new with Amber is that you can use Ctrl-V in the Amber popup which uploads the screenshot to Amber without any further steps. Hitting Insert there will close Amber and put the screenshot here:

This works.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1634
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2021 9:07 AM

I tried both. Neither showed up.

Trying again in Amber... it seems to work now. Thanks.

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

PL:
Why is there still an "Insert/Edit Image" icon next to the "Insert Attachements/Media" icon?

We are just replacing the attachment functionality initially. It probably makes sense to remove that other icon, now.

Posts 27860
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2021 1:05 PM

Bradley,

The one thing it is missing is the Delete function.  I just noticed an image I wasn't conscious of uploading + many associated tags.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2021 1:19 PM

Dave Hooton:
The one thing it is missing is the Delete function. 

(this is asset details. In the other view, scroll down to the end, righthand side)

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 27860
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2021 6:29 PM

Thanks for that. I can get rid of some wiki images now.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 25772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2021 3:50 AM

When uploading images using Chrome on my IPad, I am requested to sign in to Amber each time.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2021 6:01 AM

Graham Criddle:

When uploading images using Chrome on my IPad, I am requested to sign in to Amber each time.

Is anyone else seeing this?

This is a me-to post!

Me to 

(but on my iMac)

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

Graham Criddle:
Chrome on my IPad

As you may know, this is really Safari.

We have some single sign-on problems with Amber in Safari due to it blocking some cookies we need. We have a team actively working on solving this problem. In the meantime, I wonder if you might be able to go to https://amber.faithlife.com and sign in there? Hopefully that would save the authentication for when the picker opens inside a forum post.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2021 9:37 PM

Obviously, for some Amber is common knowledge, but I have never heard of it before.  Is there some documation available?

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 25772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2021 11:01 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Please clarify - I have the Chrome app installed on my iPad and use it to access these forums.

I wonder if you might be able to go to https://amber.faithlife.com and sign in there?

When I followed that link on my iPad I had access to my area on Amber as I was already logged in - but there was still a requirement to sign in when trying to add an image to a forum post.

I signed out and back in again and the issue remains.

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

Graham Criddle:

Please clarify - I have the Chrome app installed on my iPad and use it to access these forums.

Apple doesn't allow third-party web browser engines in the App Store, so any other browser you install is really just a "theme" around Safari; hence the authentication problems with Safari present themselves.

Posts 19594
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 10:23 PM

Apple doesn't allow third-party web browser engines in the App Store, so any other browser you install is really just a "theme" around Safari; hence the authentication problems with Safari present themselves.

Chrome, Firefox, and Opera web browsers can be downloaded from their own web sites (did not find them in Apple's App Store on macOS 10.15.7)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 10:53 PM

Thanks Bradley, I did not know that.

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 11 2021 8:38 PM

This is an absolute pain to use on phones. I’ve read and tried all your suggestions and they make no difference Bradley, you are still required to sign in to Amber every time , even when you are signed in to the Amber website and using SafarI. And once you get to the amber site, the screen size is hard to navigate and work out what you are supposed to br clicking on to get it to work and insert a screen shot in your message.

Something that used to be simple and quick  is now painful and convoluted for phone users the device in which I use the forums the most. Why does FL insist on implementing something they no is buggy and going to cheese off their customers ? These speaks volumes about how poorly you consider segments of your customers needs and the impacts on them when you push this sort rubbish onto us. 

Posts 9181
LogosEmployee

Maybe we can disable it for mobile devices.

(Honestly, the forums are so horrible to browse from a phone that it didn't cross my mind that this would be a common user scenario. I apologise for overlooking this.)

Page 1 of 4 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS