Entry level Tablet/Pad/iPad for Logos Reading Only

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 16
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 6 2021 6:07 AM

I use a fully equipped office for Logos Study and Class Prep with current desktop, dual monitors, Windows 10, Logos 9 Silver, 3000 resources plus hardcopy resources located in remote private area of home.  Want to rejoin the family in evening reading sessions.

Looking for computer just for Logos and just for reading with a couple of commentaries, dictionaries, etc with access to entire library one volume at a time.

Would anyone be so kind as to make a hardware suggestion or two, or several. I seem to recall a post several months ago with almost this identical request.  Totally can not find it!

Thank you for any assistance.

Phil

Posts 2406
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 7:33 AM

I use a Kindle Fire HD10 (make sure you get the latest generation so that the Operating System remains viable for a longer future) with the Logos App installed. I load about 10 commentaries for my current sermon series, when I change series I remove some downloaded commentaries and add others.

Yes, Samsung and Apple make more expensive tablets for this purpose, but I find the Kindle Fire to be a good cost/benefit point for me.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 85
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 10:18 AM

I don't have any recent experience with the Kindle Fire, but the basic Apple iPad is a hard tablet to beat.  $319 (sometimes lower) for 32 gb iPad is a pretty good deal and will easily handle your needs for Logos and you might find some additional apps helpful as well.  I have an older iPad Air (I am sure the new iPad would easily blow my older iPad Air out of the water) that I use for reading Kindle Books and Logos Books.  If you have never had a tablet before, you will certainly love the convenience for reading books, news, etc.  You'll still love your computer for full-on study/work, but the tablet (and in my experience that is with an iPad) form factor is great for casual use and I definitely prefer it if I am reading a book all the way through.

Posts 5442
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 1:31 AM

During the lockdown, we have had parishioners who have purchased a variety of tablets to access our online services.

Some have started off with Kindle Fires but have quickly moved on to an iPad when they have seen the ease at which their friends operate them.

I have no hesitation in recommending the iPad as the most convenient platform.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 16
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 8:24 AM

Thank each of you gentlemen.  You greatly narrowed my search, eliminated a lot of old confusing baggage, and made my decision much simplier.  I've ordered the Apple iPad with 2-day delivery.

Thanks so much!

Phil

Posts 5442
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 9:14 AM

Phil Cooper:
I've ordered the Apple iPad with 2-day delivery.

Good choice Phil.

You may be surprised to find that there is no instruction book with the iPad! Most folks seem to manage without one and most questions are only a search engine away.

Do make sure that you use the same email and password when you sign in on the Bible app as you use for your other Faithlife programs.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions here regarding your purchase. We stand by ready to show off. :-)

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 227
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 7 2021 1:54 PM

An e-reader with an e-ink display made by Faithlife that allows you to read books in your library and highlight with your finger. 

if only it existed :) 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS