Search for NT use of the OT

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 8 2021 1:06 AM

I am fully aware of both the interactive NT use of the OT, and also the tool within the Bible Books Explorer. What I am looking for here is a way to use the search tool to find citations, allusions, etc., of the OT in the NT. I realise that determination of what constitutes an 'allusion' are often debated, so maybe a search isn't possible. But thought I'd ask.

Posts 25136
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 1:48 AM

If you click the About button in the New Testament Use of the Old Testament Interactive, you see information about the various fields and a sample search. Clicking the sample search will open a search panel with those details filled in. You can then modify as required.

Nt Ot Allusion

Does this give you what you are looking for?

Posts 72
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 2:38 AM

At one point I did create a Visual Filter to do this. I've pasted in a copy of it below. I don't enable it any more but it was helpful for a while. You can, of course, use any of these as a search term. 

Screenshot 2021-03-08 103604

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 2:52 AM

Graham Criddle:
Does this give you what you are looking for?

Yes, Graham, that's really great. Thanks! One more question. I am wanting to search more specifically Luke's uses of the OT in his Gospel and Acts. What would I put in the link below in place of Hebrews? I tried "Luke, Acts" and "Luke; Acts", but neither worked.

{Label Intertext WHERE Target~<Hebrews> AND Relationship= "Allusion"}

Posts 33267
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 3:09 AM

you have to repeat the entire label - you can't use multiple values {Label Intertext WHERE Target ~ <Luke> AND RELATIONSHIP = "Allusion"} OR  {Label Intertext WHERE Target ~ <Acts> AND RELATIONSHIP = "Allusion"}

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 6:59 AM

MJ. Smith:
you have to repeat the entire label - you can't use multiple values

Thanks - I should have thought of that.

Posts 4706
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 7:33 AM

GregW:

At one point I did create a Visual Filter to do this. I've pasted in a copy of it below. I don't enable it any more but it was helpful for a while. You can, of course, use any of these as a search term. 

Screenshot 2021-03-08 103604

Do you think you could share this? I was trying to recreate it but I was unable to get the stuff on the right to match for some reason. I don't use visual filters all that much but this looks interesting

Posts 72
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 12:22 PM

Happy to share it, but it won't give you the highlights.  You need to create a Highlighting Palette using capsules to get that effect.  do you need step-by-step instructions on how to do that? It's getting a bit late here to do it tonight but I'll happily do it in the morning. 

Posts 4706
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 1:54 PM

Thank you Greg. I’m not quite sure how the highlights work as I just don’t use them often. I’ve downloaded others in the past and they came with everything. I’ll try to figure out how to recreate these later. The only thing I was hazy on was how to make the labeled colored bubbles :) 

Posts 72
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 2:20 PM

Mattillo:

Thank you Greg. I’m not quite sure how the highlights work as I just don’t use them often. I’ve downloaded others in the past and they came with everything. I’ll try to figure out how to recreate these later. The only thing I was hazy on was how to make the labeled colored bubbles :) 

I've shared it - here's the link: https://flshare.net/s79qd 

Let me know if it works!

Posts 4706
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 5:36 PM

GregW:

Mattillo:

Let me know if it works!

It works and thanks!!!

Posts 72
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 10 2021 5:48 AM

Mattillo:
It works and thanks!!!

Yes

Posts 516
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 10 2021 6:51 PM

GregW:

Mattillo:

Let me know if it works!

I love it! Thank you for sharing!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS