Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 12
C Russell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 8 2021 9:13 AM

Logos smart-tags have just started crashing Windows. Happens every time, on two machines, different versions of Word.  Crash in wwlib.dll. It was fine last week.   Can anybody help with this?

Posts 19430
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 8 2021 3:27 PM

Curious about Logos version ?

FYI: Logos 8 is no longer supported => https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007391412 Purchasing Logos 9 Basic and/or Verbum 9 Basic provides free upgrade to supported Logos 9 (keeps everything already purchased while "purchase" adds version 9 software engine license).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27241
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2021 6:49 AM

C Russell:
Logos smart-tags have just started crashing Windows.

Crashing Windows? More like a crash of Word in wwlib.dll?

What exactly are you doing when Word crashes?  Provide details of your Word versions, and whether 32/64 bit.  Does other use of Word cause it to crash?

NB. Whether on Logos 8 or Logos 9, Smart tags are not supported by Faithlife and are deprecated by Microsoft

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 12
C Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2021 11:50 AM

Yes, careless wording on my part. I meant crashing Word in Windows.

I am running 32-bit 365 on one machine, and 32-bit Office 16 on the other.  I place my cursor over the reference and simply select Additional Actions, without specifying one one of them.  There is a momentary freeze, then Word simply disappears.  Event log shows:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 16.0.13801.20266, time stamp: 0x6039ca15
Faulting module name: wwlib.dll, version: 16.0.13801.20266, time stamp: 0x6039cd16
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00009144
Faulting process ID: 0xa70
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7151c8d8cf962
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\wwlib.dll
Report ID: 229f45db-0ade-491f-af25-059a78e04b86
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm mystified that this has occurred on two disparate machines at the same time. 
Logos has updated in that time, and I believe Windows has applied maintenance too.
I do have full backups, but I'm not in a position to recover the whole machine.

No other use of Word causes any problems.  One machine is only a couple of weeks old.

Do you have any thoughts, Dave?

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

We haven't changed the L4SmrtTg.dll file in almost a year (it may even show a date of 3/13/2020 on your system?) so while it's possible this is related to Logos 9.3, that seems like a less likely explanation to me (particularly if other users are not crashing with the Smart Tag).

Posts 27241
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2021 2:20 PM

C Russell:
Faulting module name: wwlib.dll, version: 16.0.13801.20266,

Sadly, I discovered that this version causes the Additional Actions menu item to be unresponsive with a Smart Tag (and other Actions) on two machines. No crash. This doesn't look like Actions are being phased out, so a future update of Office could resolve the problem. 

The previous version 16.0.13628.20380 was OK with Smart Tags.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 9 2021 8:54 PM

Dave Hooton:
Sadly, I discovered that this version causes the Additional Actions menu item to be unresponsive with a Smart Tag (and other Actions) on two machines.

This is what I've been experiencing for the last week or so with Word. It freezes up when I attempt to open the Additional Actions options menu. One such crash offered me the opportunity to report it to MS which I did. The others have not.

Back to using Copy Bible Verses for now.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 12
C Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 10 2021 12:47 AM

Thanks Dave.

Glad to discover it is not something I have broken.

Bless you.

Posts 12
C Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 10 2021 12:48 AM

Thanks Mark.

Yes that is a workable remedy for the time being.

Bless you.

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 20 2021 7:12 PM

I installed Proclaim this week, and now I have the same problem in that Word crashes when I try to access 'Additional Actions' in the right-click context menu in Word. I don't know if the two are related.

Sometimes it crashes, and other times it just becomes slow to input text. A selection is only highlighted 'after' I let go of the mouse, and a word typed only appears all at once after the whole word has been typed. 

Once the problem was initiated, closing Word and restarting it didn't remove the problem. However, after closing Word, when I ended the task titled 'Microsoft Text Input Application' and then restarted Word, it was back to normal again. If I selected 'Additional Actions' the same problem would return. I would have to close Word and end that task again to get back to normal.

Glad it isn't just me experiencing the problem in one sense. But sad that others have it too.

The Copy Verses is a workaround at the moment.

Posts 1
Jim McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 21 2021 2:53 PM

I am also having difficulty with the Smart tag function in Word.

If I try to use it, Word slows down drastically and has to be restarted. When I hover on "Additional Actions", Nothing happens. Nothing to click on. After that Word slows to a crawl and everything seems to have a 1-2 second delay in response. 

If I disable the Logos smart tag function in Word,  and restart the word file, The "Additional actions" Function is restored and word runs as usual.

If I have the Logos Smart tag enabled in Word and Logos is not running the "Additional Actions" function works as normal and Word does not slow down.

So it seems that there is a disconnect of some kind between Logos and Word.

I am running Word 365 with latest updates and Logos 9.3 SR2.

I would really like for this function to be restored as I use it quite often.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Jim McGuire

Posts 1
Randy Conway | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 9:31 AM

I have been having the same problem as well. I run both Word 2016 and 2019 in 64 bit.

Posts 13
Paul Carpenter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 10:23 PM

My problem likewise is with Logos 9 and Word 365, but if I open Word 2010 everything works perfectly! I apparently have a lot to be thankful for. I am practically paralyzed without Smart Tags because I use them constantly. I am not at all optimistic about a fix coming anytime soon. Oh me of little faith!

Posts 1
Gary Eller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2021 5:47 PM

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  Smart Tags worked fine for me in Logos 8 but is crashing Word 365 since I upgraded to Logos 9.  

Posts 27241
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2021 3:17 PM

Gary Eller:

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  Smart Tags worked fine for me in Logos 8 but is crashing Word 365 since I upgraded to Logos 9.  

There has been a recent update of  Office 365 but the problem remains whether you use L8 or L9.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3751
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 3:51 PM

Dave Hooton:
this version causes the Additional Actions menu item to be unresponsive with a Smart Tag (and other Actions) on two machines.

Add my laptop to the list of those for whom Smart Tags are broken. Right click on Smart Tags, & Word Hangs. It'll eventually come back, but the smart tag won't. And from then on until restart, word isn't terribly responsive. Found this thread while looking to see if there was a fix. Happened with either a release of L9 or a Microsoft 365, not sure which.

Win 10 (latest version)

Microsoft 365

Logos 9.5.0.0014 

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 27241
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 6:10 PM

BillS:
Happened with either a release of L9 or a Microsoft 365, not sure which.

It was a MS 365 release, and subsequent releases have not changed the behaviour.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 11:11 PM

I debugged the Smart Tag code tonight with Word and WWLIB.DLL version 16.0.13801.20626.

There is a crash in WWLIB.DLL that (as far as I can tell) isn't due to buggy code in the Logos Smart Tag. (However, without debug symbols for WWLIB.DLL and MSO.DLL, it's not possible to pinpoint exactly, and I don't plan to debug the raw assembly.)

Given that we haven't updated the Smart Tag code in years, and that it's worked fine with Word 2003 - 2016 (until this latest update), this suggests that Microsoft introduced an incompatibility in a recent Word update. (Although it's a mystery why they'd be touching the deprecated smart tag code.)

An additional piece of evidence is that I can't get any other "Additional Actions" to work. For example, if I disable the Logos Smart Tag, but leave Measurement Converter enabled, then type "1 cm" in a document, Word crashes if I right-click and choose Additional Actions for that text. It seems that all Smart Tags in Word are broken, not just Logos. 

Meanwhile, Microsoft has deleted all the documentation for the Office COM API for Smart Tags from MSDN (it has been deprecated for 10+ years), so even figuring out how this is all supposed to work is difficult.

My only suggestion at this point is to contact Microsoft Support and report this failure in Additional Actions in Word. Until they fix it, it looks like the Logos Smart Tag is no longer functional.

Posts 27241
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 6:36 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
Given that we haven't updated the Smart Tag code in years, and that it's worked fine with Word 2003 - 2016 (until this latest update)

Per my post of March 10 above, I found the Additional Actions menu item for Smart Tags (and other Actions) to be unresponsive with wwlib.dll, version 16.0.13801.20266; whereas it was OK with the previous version. All future updates of Office 365 have not resolved the problem. 

I can't find any independent reports online for Additional Actions! Someone with an MS account could report it.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 10:05 PM

Dave Hooton:
I can't find any independent reports online for Additional Actions!

I don't think anyone uses them any more. "Enable additional actions in the right-click menu" is buried three layers deep in the Options dialog and disabled by default, correct?

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS