Greek language syntax question and morph searching

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Louis L Sorenson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 9 2021 7:19 PM

I do not use English translations of the OT or NT. I only use the original Hebrew or Greek. What I am trying to do is to use in depth searches of patterns of words in Greek original texts (secular, biblical and extra-biblical [pseudepigrapha, apocrypha, ktl]. I find that most of the demos on the web, YouTube videos, etc. all jump off an an English text -- and do syntax and morph searches from the English. 

I am trying to do some very simple searches of the Greek text. I can use Diogenes (which utilizes the TLG (Thesaurus Linguae Graecae) database to query all kinds of word proximities. But Diogenes does not query punctuation. I do not think my Logos software can do that either. What I am currently seeking to find is the text of all questions that end in ἐστι(ν).  The goal is to find all questions where the verb "is" is the last word in the sentence. If I search for "̈εστι;" or ̈"εστιν;" in Diogenes or Logos, I get all the citations of εστι or ̈εστιν in the compendium. Punctuation be damned. 

In Logos syntax, I do not see an option for QUESTION. Maybe there is a QUESTION syntax option, but I do not see it. In Greek, questions and statements of fact are mostly in the indicative, so "is he a man" and "he is a man" can both be written as "̈έ́στιν ἀνήρ", the only difference being context and punctuation. 

I think there must should be some Logos videos of Hebrew/Greek syntax/morph searches which do not work from English translations to Hebrew/Greek texts. There must be some such instruction videos on the web.  Can anyone let me know where I can find them?  Also, are there any Logos instructional videos on original language syntax/morph queries, and if so, which are the best

Thanks much,

Louis

Posts 25224
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 10 2021 12:38 AM

Louis L Sorenson:
I think there must should be some Logos videos of Hebrew/Greek syntax/morph searches which do not work from English translations to Hebrew/Greek texts.

The only ones I know of are within Logos training courses teaching how to use Logos for original language work - such as https://www.logos.com/product/190342/mobile-ed-la181-learn-to-use-biblical-greek-in-logos 

Having said that, while many of the training videos work from English texts the actual tagging is initially done against the original languages so the principles should map straight across.

Below are a couple of options based on your question - the first is searching for words within a portion of text tagged as a Question, the second is doing a morphological search. Do either of these help?

Posts 25224
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 10 2021 12:39 AM

Louis L Sorenson:
I think there must should be some Logos videos of Hebrew/Greek syntax/morph searches which do not work from English translations to Hebrew/Greek texts.

The only ones I know of are within Logos training courses teaching how to use Logos for original language work - such as https://www.logos.com/product/190342/mobile-ed-la181-learn-to-use-biblical-greek-in-logos 

Having said that, while many of the training videos work from English texts the actual tagging is initially done against the original languages so the principles should map straight across.

Below are a couple of options based on your question - the first is searching for words within a portion of text tagged as a Question, the second is doing a morphological search. Do either of these help?

Edit: I reposted as the screenshot in the first one was partially obscured

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS